Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

1 hour ago, 46256 said:

Oh John just when I had decided it was too much of a faff….if you hear my cursing when I attempt this you have only yourself to blame !

Always happy to help- you know it will briefly keep out of doing really important jobs for Lady S,.

Edited by rowanj
  • Funny 1

Portrait of my latest( and last….at least for now) Royal Scot chassis upgrade…

46126 joins the roster….for the record,  I do model an ex Midland line rather than  Crewe or Camden.

E00C3604-B1BC-41BF-B6BA-2DB686AE8BB1.jpeg

• Like 12

Well thanks to the prompt from John R the Claughton is now in pieces. I am replacing the DS 10 with high level gears and motor. The fitting of the brakes is as difficult as I feared. The original 27 mm drivers are original Romfords with prominent tyres. There really is no room for the brass wires to hang the brakes from on the centre set. I have solved the problem by replacing the front two sets with Hornby wheels ( left over scot ones I think.)  I’ve just added them to the chassis , retaining one pair of the original wheels. I have been able to fit the centre brakes. I have used ones from a left over comet J 94 etch which are partly curved,

.  A little help from the dremel has enhanced them and enabled them to fit between the wheels. The chassis is free running awaiting the arrival from high level.

• Like 2

The shenanigans of trying to get brake rods into the Claughton chassis. I have had to put a piece of plastic wire casing over the one rod. The rear wheels are the original Romfords, I have kept them on so the non insulated wheel picks up electricity. A full set of Hornby need pick ups on all wheels. The difference in the tyre size is clear.

FFF58701-55EA-4DE0-B06E-1DEF332A68DE.jpeg

6F2DFC4B-F697-4CA7-A9CC-413CB1227C15.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 6

A DC kits class 120. These units migrated to the West Midlands Midland lines, in the late 60s . They were used on longer trips, Birmingham to Norwich for example, if I recall correctly. This train also had class 31 haulage, usually at the weekend. I don’t think the DC kit is available now. It’s powered by a black beetle, again sadly not available I believe. I used to hate these DMU s , together with other first generation units, they have now worked their way into my affections. 

F615955A-40A4-4D4D-831F-DB2521167AB3.jpeg

Edited by 46256
Better grammar
  • Like 8

I can remember an EE type 2, (Class 31), coming through Water Orton.

Heading east with flames coming out of it's exhaust!

We had to shift along over the footbridge.

How the bridge with its wooden, bitumen soaked planked walkway never caught fire, I will never know.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Good morning Andy, thank you for your memory. I never saw such displays from diesel locomotives going through. The footbridge was my usual location in my early years when steam was the norm. The main fireworks then,  was when heavy freights were being started from the up freight and sidings exit roads, blasting under the station, Minworth Road bridge. My older cousin used to delight, when staying with us, to getting covered in soot by hanging over that bridge into the smoke. My mum wasnt so thrilled , having to wash his clothes. In diesel days, my main view of passing trains was from the old small goods yard, the other side of the Minworth Road bridge, from the footbridge. Lastly that bitumen smell, definitely takes me back to being on the footbridge! On a model note high level motor etc, and brakes now fitted to Claughton. Will photo, but will be deceptive, as not much different to my earlier one, but the work involved to get the brakes between the wheels. 

As promised Claughton now with brakes and new motor. To get the brakes to fit between I had to swap the middle wheel set with Hornby. The two outer sets the original Romfords, used to get good electrical pick ups on non insulated sides ( with plastic centred wheels such as Hornby you need pick ups. This in turn can add extra friction, and cause poorer running. The other reason retained in this case, it helped quarter the wheels. The model is a nice runner easily handling six plastic bodied coaches. In hindsight I would have used a bigger high level motor, this one however is sufficient for its expected use on my layout

618E7287-49CE-41D5-B478-0ABFED5CF709.jpeg

A76478A7-CADD-4B5D-AFDE-7E4261F6AD34.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 8

Back to DMUs. 
John R has just used a cd replacement motor to revitalise his class 104. In my case I used a then new Hornby class 121 chassis, cut and shut to fit. In both John and my case , Hornby class 110 were the starting point. I could never reason why this class of DMU escaped the rtr boys until the recent Heljan model, given their widespread use, and to my eyes attractive lines.

C826467E-7882-4351-B43C-A1D97930271B.jpeg

35414F79-F03F-49CB-8520-2A29C1C81B61.jpeg

• Like 5

Lima class 101. I repainted this model, it was the days when the excitement of new releases meant I couldn’t wait for my preferred livery. There it was in BR blue, then as probably now,  less popular liveries appeared first. Promptly bought from Tennents models in Halesowen, taken home for the repaint etc. In hindsight should have left it blue, never thought I would miss that drab livery!

Dad worked at the Met Cam factory, Washwood Heath, on the bus side. The factory has gone, along with a lot of the other local infrastructure , all for the proposed HS2.

21E8BDA5-B869-419B-948D-E2B86717ED63.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 7

The 101 class were regulars, at Water Orton,  as were these for a few short years in the sixties. Cravens three car sets. A visit to Crewe in 1969, with another of my cousins, witnessed a train of these in the centre roads, withdrawn, en route for scrapping. This set is again a DC kits build. I think,  it also has a black beetle, sadly just been running it, not very powerful. View taken over the Minworth Road bridge towards the footbridge and East Jct. My new model of the station masters house looks good in this shot.

5426AC09-D8BA-4113-91EC-05D15123D7BA.jpeg

EB78598B-AB82-4008-AB15-E1A5D7D1C5CF.jpeg

• Like 12

I’ve just been reading up in an early edition of Modern Railway Illustrated about first generation DMUs . There were some of the Cravens units which had Rolls Royce engines. These were particularly problematic hence early withdrawal. My own set, is again powered by a cut and shut Hornby class 121 chassis. My class 104 powered by the same runs far better.The answer, lots of lead glued into the 104 roof, above the motor. The same just applied to the Cravens has improved it considerably!

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

I have found that as many pick ups on wheels, as well as the weight makes for better running. Same with tender locos.

My older brother worked at the Met Cam factory before emigrating to New Zealand, before that he was at Hams Hall as an electrician. Apprentice and qualified. He kept threatening me with a trip on the still operating steam locos after 1968, at the CEGB but it never materialised.

Andy.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2023 at 15:50, 46256 said:

As promised Claughton now with brakes and new motor. To get the brakes to fit between I had to swap the middle wheel set with Hornby. The two outer sets the original Romfords, used to get good electrical pick ups on non insulated sides ( with plastic centred wheels such as Hornby you need pick ups. This in turn can add extra friction, and cause poorer running. The other reason retained in this case, it helped quarter the wheels. The model is a nice runner easily handling six plastic bodied coaches. In hindsight I would have used a bigger high level motor, this one however is sufficient for its expected use on my layout

618E7287-49CE-41D5-B478-0ABFED5CF709.jpeg

A76478A7-CADD-4B5D-AFDE-7E4261F6AD34.jpeg

That’s a lovely model, always liked the Claughton. So after reading you progress I’ve just bought a Jidenco kit of EBay.
I’m thinking of using a Hornby Patriot chassis possibly re-wheel depending. Mainly to build a dcc ready kit. But will have to check everything out when the kit arrives. 

• Thanks 1

Hello both, Andy I was fortunate to visit Hams Hall on two notable occasions. One a school trip, the sight of the furnace will live with me forever.The second, in 1970, my good friend Eddie Ravenhall and I cycled there. We went on site via Coleshill Station. We visited both engine sheds. The highlight was being allowed onto one of the RSH 060 shunters working the yards. It was my only footplate experience on a steam engine until many years later on the SVR.

Farren, I saw the Jidenco kit on eBay. It is I believe for the big boiler version.it was useful as the photos showed the contents including the chassis and curved brakes.

I think mine is a jidenco kit of the small boiler type. I will enjoy seeing your build on your thread. Should you choose to build 

the chassis it easily accommodates the high level hi flier…

I would though, use the bigger motor than I did.

best wishes Brian

• Like 2

This really should be in modifying rtr but I’m not going to start another thread just to accommodate…

Hornby class 58, originally with its nasty little motor. A prime candidate for an upgrade.
This class is the most modern I run on my layout, and without the appropriate wagons to match. I became acquainted with the real locomotives, when visiting Saltley depot circa 1988 to 90. The visits were in the early hours of the morning courtesy of my then job. The staff were great and became friends, allowing another colleague  and rail enthusiast, and I, to ride the footplate whilst these and other locomotives were shunted around the depot. I therefore had to have an example…58050 purchased, some time ago. Together with, 58030, the only two of the class not seen by me in service. I’ve never been too bothered by its poor performance, not having the correct train to pull. I’ve just been reading a book by Tim Shackleton Modelling Diesels from some years ago. He upgraded the Hornby by fitting a big mashima and replacing the central gears in the stack with ultrascale.  I wondered if I could do a similar job with a high level motor but retain the Hornby gears. This was the excuse to buy the bigger motor for the claughton. This has been ordered. The donor motor from the Claughton  has been fitted to the Hornby cradle. This was done by removing the plastic, motor retention cradle, removal of the rear plastic on it to allow the new motor to fit in. Holes drilled at the front of the plastic, and motor screwed in. Hornby gear push fitted. The cradle and motor reattached, wired up, wheels cleaned and lubricated. Model now a far better runner, sense of achievement, and still no MGR wagons to pull. 

Finally two such trains running through Water Orton, the 56 on the fast up lines to Derby photographed from the footbridge to Marsh Lane over the fields. The 58 travelling in the same direction, but nearer to Birmingham, by the site of the old marshalling yards, roughly where my photo of 58050 is! 

30634D9E-3268-426A-B454-FAEC39553C8E.jpeg

C97A247A-E236-4C74-BE54-B391AF50D8A0.jpeg

75EF5265-CEBE-48D1-A75B-8D01130A8AAA.jpeg

E9B20773-B01F-44D6-A0B7-58D6BDB3683D.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 6

Crosti rebuild 92027 provides the fireworks leaving the up freight line and crossing over to the Nuneaton line having just gone under Minworth Road bridge, and possibly showering my cousin with soot.

ED6DCD04-7382-4A11-A982-630C6F4DC834.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 8

A 1982 photo, taken from the Dog Inn wall, class 56 on the up fast to Derby, recreating the excitement that location had when a train travelled past at speed.

original track layout still in place at the East jct

D2785D28-EAC3-429B-88EB-0B8E34BFBF8E.jpeg

• Like 6

For the record the urchin balancing on the wall in the photo of the 9f is Don. The photo being taken by his older brother Neil. Don is a celebrated railway photographer, having any number of his work published. Neil, who is sadly no longer with us, together with Don, were fellow members of the Water Orton railway society. We used to spot from a makeshift den erected against the wall of the cattle dock , in the old goods yard. We used to travel all over the country, and since then a number of them, the world pursuing our rail enthusiasm. I meet up with some of them regularly, their enthusiasm for the latest units, well not quite my cup of tea,  in any event though, always good to catch up and reminisce . Don recently recounted how he had clambered through fields, over fences, through culverts and then underneath the M6 to get to the other side, just to photograph a Royal Scot on Shap. His photo wasn’t published ,but another photographer, who accompanied him on this trek , had his similar shot accepted by a national magazine. 

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Hello Andy

Funnily enough my friends have discussed doing this. The surviving members of WORS have migrated in the main to the West of Birmingham,  hence the relative ease, we have in meeting up in Stourbridge. A couple of our team though have migrated north, Eddie to Scotland and another, Ron to Durham.

This has not stopped all of us meeting at venues like York, or the SVR. The local team have, as stated, discussed meeting up at the Dog previously . I will put the feelers out and report back in due course

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1