Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Dignity restored, large high level motor added to the Claughton. The performance greatly improved.

I have been following Farren and his model of a Claughton on his thread. I have been impressed on his thinking outside of the box, to accomplish fitting a Hornby chassis to the Jidenco kit.
Manna is also, an accomplished modeller, in this respect. Gents will send you details on PMs where to send the cheques too!

A modeller on Farrens thread has shared views of his Claughton in fully lined LMS red. I’ve commented to John R, that it has triggered thoughts of my own along those lines. I must add not towards repainting Alfred, but acquiring a new kit…DJH perhaps. I just need the second mortgage to be approved.

A5C7C9E5-D546-4D9A-A7DA-068505DAA4F2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

G'Day Folks

The Claughton is coming on well, never saw one of them, mind you I never saw many GN loco's before they all disappeared.

On my way to Northern Queensland  at the moment, so no modelling, shouldn't be to to long before I set up the workbench again.

manna

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Garratt greetings. 

Just for fun thought I would create a scene that in theory could have happened in the early fifties. Three Garratts 47994 on the down slow Heljan body comet chassis …47998 Kitmaster body scratch straight sided tender comet chassis, on the up freight line,  lastly on up slow 47968 Ks body comet chassis. The next two photos 47968 crosses over from the up fast line to the up slow line, to Nuneaton. 47994 again on the down slow having travelled on that line from Whitacre. The original Midland signal cabin, altered from two Ratio kits bears witness.

C918B859-1471-4C2F-9376-BD0D42D8EA07.jpeg

EB55644A-4E1F-48A0-ACF5-F1B23B8AB002.jpeg

D268A200-90F0-47F3-ACB2-0881D48C93FB.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

Farren, Yes, I could have  added 69999, but that would have stretched reality a bit too far!

I’ve been following your Claughton build ….very nice work. I appreciate your care in lining it out, looking good. I will if I may go to your thread for some details on what was used for the lining. 

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cravens set from March 1968. It’s a great view of the infrastructure and landscape. The pathway on the left, used by many railway workers leaving the yards, often to walk a bit further from the Minworth Road bridge, to the Dog Inn. 

33C9ECCF-1B81-4598-8D06-6AACBAF88986.jpeg

• Like 7

I’ve commented on this before, promoting an informed post from Eric ( signal engineer) 

In the last picture of the cravens unit, amongst all the steam age infrastructure…all about to be swept away. The modern looking lamp at the end of the pathway leading  down from Minworth Road bridge. These lamps were seen from a different angle in my friend Don’s photo of Scotsman taken a few months later than this in September 1968. What a waste , the yards the path led too, had mere months before closure. The Cravens units weren’t long for this world either in 1968

• Like 3

I’ve been looking for a project since the conclusion of my Gresley Garratt build. I’ve been tempted by Farren’s Claughton build, and an etched kit of a Flatiron. These might yet be added to the roster. Just to prove how easily distracted I am though, I’ve been reading about the early Swindon DMUs, in particular the early 79 xx series. These were the forerunners of the Scottish Class 126. The early series started their lives on Western Region trains Birmingham Snow Hill to Swansea.They were notable on having two different cab ends. The standard Swindon as per the class 120, and a gangwayed end cab, enabling them to be run either as a three or six car apparently. A kit has been ordered from Silver Fox models.

All of these units found their way to the Scottish region. In 1971, together with some of my spotting mates we did a Scottish Railrover. On a dark dank rainy August night we bunked Leith Central. This former passenger terminus was by then a DMU depot. Long lines of DMUs including any number of the prized 79 xx ones were there some with engines idling. The place was empty of human life apart from my mates and I…

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Since my last post, life has changed dramatically. My wife and I, prompted by our son, are selling our home and moving. This has sadly meant dismantling, not only the layout but much of my little empire In my loft. I had built the buildings / structures  so they could be removed. They have been, and are safe. The baseboards and scenery have gone. 
My new home has a garage which will house a new layout. It won’t accommodate Water Orton though, not nearly big enough. I have also downsized my amount of stock. Many locomotives had not turned a wheel in years. Lessons learnt. I found when checking, it wasn’t my kit built or comet chassis that needed attention, but RTR left idle on my stock shelves. The sale of a large proportion of my stock, has contributed much needed funds, to little expenses, such as stamp duty..solicitors, estate agent, etc fees.

On a positive note I have been designing a new layout Coleshill (Forge Mills) 

This station was closed in March 1968. It was situated a few miles up the line from Water Orton on the Leicester route. This will also allow those trains, I have retained to run on this new layout.

I am currently looking to build the distinctive station building. I will rename this thread in due course and outline the build.

The two photos…Water Orton layout just prior to demolition…appropriate the last train was a pair of class 20s and brake van…quite poignant as they went past the empty sidings. The second photo Coleshill..lurgi gas works will not be appearing on my new layout. You will note I have totems for both

6721429A-FACC-436D-9B62-B8BAD61D96F6.jpeg

9F4EECA1-5246-44C8-8637-D4B427FE3E50.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

48 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Since my last post, life has changed dramatically. My wife and I, prompted by our son, are selling our home and moving. This has sadly meant dismantling, not only the layout but much of my little empire In my loft. I had built the buildings / structures  so they could be removed. They have been, and are safe. The baseboards and scenery have gone. 
My new home has a garage which will house a new layout. It won’t accommodate Water Orton though, not nearly big enough. I have also downsized my amount of stock. Many locomotives had not turned a wheel in years. Lessons learnt. I found when checking, it wasn’t my kit built or comet chassis that needed attention, but RTR left idle on my stock shelves. The sale of a large proportion of my stock, has contributed much needed funds, to little expenses, such as stamp duty..solicitors, estate agent, etc fees.

This station was closed in March 1968. It was situated a few miles up the line from Water Orton on the Leicester route. This will also allow those trains, I have retained to run on this new layout.

I am currently looking to build the distinctive station building. I will rename this thread in due course and outline the build.

The two photos…Water Orton layout just prior to demolition…appropriate the last train was a pair of class 20s and brake van…quite poignant as they went past the empty sidings. The second photo Coleshill..lurgi gas works will not be appearing on my new layout. You will note I have totems for both

Quite surprised to read this.

I hope all works out for you, that you are pleased with your new home, and that the new layout gets underway sooner rather than later! Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,

John.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

Happy to wish my great pal Brian all the best with his move,the news of which he shared we me a few weeks ago. When I read some, admittedly few, posts on some threads, I am convinced I wouldnt let a minority of RM Webbers past the front door, Them (originally via the GBL thread,) I come across Sir William and a real friendship is born, albeit we have never met and only spoken a handful of times.

Best wishes with the move and the new layout, and hope 2024 sees us having a pint somewhere near the G&WR,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

John as ever sincere thanks for your kind message, indeed to to all who have commented on this news. A new modelling challenge, but first house move, then something called decorating…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Since my last post, life has changed dramatically. My wife and I, prompted by our son, are selling our home and moving. This has sadly meant dismantling, not only the layout but much of my little empire In my loft. I had built the buildings / structures  so they could be removed. They have been, and are safe.

Hi John,

All the best with the move - a big step but I am sure all will go well. I look forward to following you telling us about the building of your new layout.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all who are messaging their support. It has been an opportunity to release , underused stock, and now to concentrate on a new challenge. I’m really enjoying poring over photographs of Coleshill. The pages on the Warwickshire Railways website are invaluable. Flikr has a collection under The Jeyes banner. A number of photographs were taken on the ex Midland lines out of Birmingham a week before closure in March 1968. Some great photos of Saltley, Castle Bromwich ( what a magnificent station…built to reflect its role as the station for the nearby British Industries exhibition site) My beloved Water Orton, then Coleshill, and finishing at Shustoke. The last two stations were very similar. They are of the combined house/ station type favoured by the early Midland Railway.

Whilst there some fine photos of the platform side of the building, including great shots of the waiting shelter on the opposite platform, I can’t find any of the station from the road/ pub side. The Warwickshire site has a handrawn lower, and upper floor plan of the station. I’ve used that to try and deduce what the opposite side of the building looked like. I’ve used the method previously perfected, on the Water Orton build, of counting bricks to determine height and width, also window locations. Of note from the floor plan, the family living in the station had to go across a yard to an outside privy. This was behind the public gents one. I’m pleased to say that later a separate house, was built for the stationmaster and his family on the opposite side of the track.

• Like 3

I’ve just been corresponding with Eric   (Signal engineer)  hoping he would remember any details of Coleshill station, during his time working the line. Like most of us at that time, he saw a redundant large building, without noting much detail. It wasovershadowed by the nearby lurgi gasworks, an ever growing industrial estate, and Hams Hall power station nearby. I will be modelling it , as shown here a photo by HC Casserley taken in the mid fifties. There is a lovely colour photo on the Flickr album, which sadly unable to show here. A sign on a  platform lamp standard , indicates that you can catch a Midland red bus by walking a mile down station road. A Midland red bus timetable is affixed to the outside gents wall. Integrated transport indeed. 

1202AE2F-DC4F-4CA9-8A37-FD81A7EA05AC.jpeg

• Like 3

G'Day Folks

Bit of a shock, that !! But you have a nice new home for your layout, albeit smaller than required, but isn't it always. I think next year I'll get to start my new layout. Things are working out OK here, have a working toilet, running water, a washing machine and a ride on lawnmower, the house is waterproof and lockable. Some of the walls are now stable, rather than flapping around in the wind !!!! But the White ants have eaten a fair bit of the timber. Onwards and Upwards.

manna

DSCF6776.JPG

DSCF6780.JPG

DSCF6708.JPG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Gday Manna

I’ve been following your move on your thread. It puts the stresses and strains, of my own impending move into context. I don’t think white ants are a problem in Worcestershire, or are they? 

best wishes Brian

• Funny 3

G'Day Folks

No, I don't think they do, as small as they are, it is scary that they can reduce a house to dust after a few years. Even newish houses have been condemned.

manna

• Friendly/supportive 3

Just had a reply from my boyhood mate, Eddie Ravenhall. He is now resident in Scotland. He confirmed that public access to the ticket office, parcels and waiting room at Coleshill was from the platform. Now I intend to model the station, with the rear side facing a wall. I could of course cheat, and not even attempt to show this side of the building. I won’t though, as my interpretation is unlikely to be challenged…..cue a slew of previously unpublished photos,

on completion of my model, showing any number of errors in my work

• Like 2

• 46256 changed the title to Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Title changed to reflect the new layout which hopefully will rise phoenix like from the house move. The loft in what is still my current home is now bare, painted and crying out for a layout to fill it. I am visiting my intended home tomorrow. My wife and daughter in law, will be discussing kitchen units and the like. I will be in the garage with measuring tape and camera. I’ve just been looking at the new Peco bullhead track. I’ve checked ,and it can be joined with the previous code 75 track. Coleshill had an interesting track layout including a single slip…this has been retained from old layout, and double slip. The latter will be an early acquisition.

The station I am modelling, was originally known as Forge Mills. Two of those types of buildings were nearby. The original Coleshill was on the Stonebridge line that connected Whitacre to Hampton in Arden. It was originally a main line from Derby to London. It quickly became demoted and ended up as a single track branch line. The line was dismantled in 1951. The station formerly known as Coleshill had been renamed Maxstoke, by then, and Forge Mills adopted the former name. 

Coleshill Parkway now occupies part of my intended models former site. 

I’ve been sketching out the station buildings, and the signal box shown here

ED15CFA6-23DD-478C-8B9A-B11FC11F7D87.jpeg

EFA3C9AA-88A9-430B-A31E-AA3C928B3AF2.jpeg

7214C5DD-DC82-46F0-AE34-5BCC838A45F0.jpeg

• Like 6

On 04/08/2023 at 13:00, 46256 said:

Good luck with the move. Those totems are rather nice!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with the house move, hope all goes well and the decoration doesn’t become too much of a headache. 

it will be very interesting to see the new layout evolve and come together. 

I’m in a similar position with stock at the moment. I have something around 70 locos. And to be honest many don’t get run anywhere near enough to justify keeping them. I have recently bought an old Lima HST which has had some body repair work done to it and the yellow is drying has I type.  So currently thinking about layout based in the 70/80s. 

I do like the shelter. 

• Like 2

I have been studying the waiting shelter. One dilemma is it English or Flemish bond? The respective plasticard sheets are quite distinctive. It’s less obvious studying the actual building.  The second, just like the main station building, I havnt seen a photo of the rear Side (facing the trees in this shot}  In the absence of proof I might just model it as a plain back wall, or with the centre recess mirroring the front. I don’t think the railway would have mirrored the curved arches, albeit without doors at the rear.  Of further interest and just put of shot on the photo to the left. The platform is higher, lowering just before the shelter then the ramp. The Warwickshire Railways site records that a riser was required to help, passengers alight, as the platforms were built to accommodate lower coaching stock.

I also think I shall invest in working station lamps and possibly fit leds in the station building. I always regretted not doing so on Water Orton. When Andy York recorded Water Orton nearly ten Years ago, for BRM, he took a shot of the Bachmann blue Pullman going through on the up lines. The train had its lights on…really effective.

308D7406-F5F2-42E2-8228-21CAAE8BCB03.jpeg

00BB5623-04B4-42A2-87A5-83D3365133BF.jpeg

• Like 7