Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Thanks Rugd1022, the info about the running board. That’s interesting. A Coleshill running board was literally dumped, with a pile of other scrap,  in the small station goods yard at Water Orton in 1969. At this time the yard, and old cattle dock had been closed since 1966, and had become our..the Water Orton Railway Society…base. We built a lean too shelter against the cattle dock. The sidings had been ripped up, and the area became our makeshift soccer/ cricket pitch. This was in between train spotting. I could spend a fortune on some of the items not least the totems for Whitacre, shustoke, Kidderminster and Snow Hill. 
I do though, have a further problem other than the lack of the cash. I currently have two replica totems for Water Orton and Coleshill. I have yet to negotiate with the boss where they are to be displayed in our new property. She seems to think the garage can house things like a car, a freezer, patio furniture. This area has already been earmarked for the layout!

• Friendly/supportive 4

Anyway they were made of sturdy stuff back in the Victorian days, who needs a roof on your bedroom when there is one on the outside toilet. 

on a practical note I will be creating mock roofing out of card, to get the angles right, especially around those dormer windows. I will then use these templates on the wills slate sheets. Then there are those interesting chimney stacks to create. 

I am really looking forward to placing it in position, on my yet to be created baseboards. ( A fair way off yet). I would really like to model the area as it would have been in early winter. I won’t be modelling snow, I’ve rarely seen it done convincingly , but rather that barren landscape when leaves have dropped off. I know that modelling high summer foliage can hide a multitude of sins so might be a real challenge, especially with my landscape modelling.

• Like 3

The location of  Coleshill ref no EPW 060871 now included in next post together with OS maps, allowing cross reference. Model wise I’ve made great progress with those chimneys…will show in due course. They really add to the character of the building.

Edited by 46256

More from above. The then new Coleshill sewage works, 1937.The line to Water Orton is to the left, a goods train in view. This is about to pass under the Lichfield Road. The photo is Included , for a better view of the exchange sidings to the right of photo. Coleshill station waiting room on the Leicester departure side, would be upper right just out of shot. I must admit even having seen the OS map, I hadn’t appreciated the length and amount of area these sidings took up. I don’t think I will be able to include them given my restricted area. I will settle for the small goods yard with double slip! OS maps included to try and correlate the images

97839AF5-510A-47E2-9226-11C77F504318.jpeg

736068FE-CE53-405D-AF99-1117E160CBE1.jpeg

0FA2D670-B32C-4039-A4AA-AFC7AF854FC3.jpeg

BFF89F11-C1A8-4A53-87F9-CBED4C62F6B2.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Coleshill virtually complete no more work  though until after house move

There are still a couple of chimney pots to finish off. The other buildings in background , they will be joined in due course by porters hut and the new house for the station master and their family. 

696A66D2-E77D-4B1A-ADE4-534C49182DD6.jpeg

3F05F01E-E58F-410A-BDE7-DA4BC8AA9C02.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

No real updates on the modelling front. House move, entering hopefully the final phase, hope to be in , well before Christmas.  Christmas 23 that is…although will probably take 12 months, to sort out all the packing cases.

On a separate note, and not intending to start a discussion, already a dedicated page for those so inclined. Heljan to produce the Gresley Garratt. My recent DJH model has been one of those I have retained. I have no idea how the beast travelled back up north in the fifties from Bromsgrove. It could have taken the slow lines at Water Orton, through Coleshill to Whitacre, then from there up to Kingsbury Junction and onward North. My model will in due course take that very route.

Lastly Warley is almost upon us. I havnt been for a couple of years, but will be attending on Sunday 26 th. I hope to introduce myself to Barry O, who I believe is demonstrating at this show. Barry if you read this,  I will be the one with the pink carnation,  and brandishing a copy of  modelling for beginners.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

On 17/11/2023 at 18:05, Barry O said:

That should be easy to spot! Not many carnation wearers at Warley!!

Look forward to seeing youvat Warley

Baz

Baz.

You've done it now, all RMweb contributors will be wearing pink carnations to Warley.

Andy.

Edited by andytrains
  • Funny 3

I’ve just returned from the Warley show. I had the great pleasure of meeting Barry O and St Enodoc, in person. The latter is visiting from Australia. I’m sorry to say that I failed to locate a pink carnation, a fact Barry may mention together,  with my close resemblance to a well known movie star….. Shrek

Barry had tried to locate Coleshill station, only to find the area totally transformed from the era I’m modelling. 

The show itself was very good, if as ever a little overwhelming. The highlights in addition to meeting the two distinguished gents mentioned. 

Copenhagen Fields…need I say more

South Pelaw…John your neck of the woods, except Barry asked me to tell the operators it was too clean. I’m pleased to say common sense prevailed and having no wish to upset, presumably Geordie gents. I just stood silently in awe of the modelling. 

A 3 mm layout…Southern units ….Petersea? 

Trade wise accurascale…Heljan including a model I have preordered E 2001 Kr models. I have to say the Leader, Southern double decker unit and DHPI look very impressive. Leader in a variety of liveries. 

On another stand … not trade, sorry can’t remember the name or organisation. There were three models of early locomotives. A Fell diesel, BR black eight coupled. This turned out to be a much modified, improved for accuracy , KR model. The second the Armstrong Whitworth prototype D9… a thread exists in kit building. The third locomotive…something I had never seen before.The upper body reminiscent of Leader, but more with more of a diesel outline. This was on a Bulleid chassis. The loco was a prototype apparently designed to run on pulverised coal. One of the companies involved…Paxton? It was conceived in the early fifties before work was cancelled in 1958. Just when you thought you knew a all the loco types there were, and had models of most of them.

Lastly was mesmerised by an A4 and train emitting smoke effects. I’m not a great enthusiast for sound effects, but this add on was impressive.

In conclusion a very enjoyable experience and sincere thank you to the people I spoke with.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great to meet you in person.. the omission of the aforementioned pink carnation d8dnt deter a bit of a chat..

Back home after a 2 nd a bit hours journey after the show closed...

Baz

• Agree 1

"The loco was a prototype apparently designed to run on pulverised coal. One of the companies involved…Paxton? It was conceived in the early fifties before work was cancelled in 1958. Just when you thought you knew a all the loco types there were, and had models of most of them," said 46256.

Not Paxton, but Parsons. it was to be a coal-fired gas turbine loco built by North British/Parsons. Never completed.

Wonder if it'll eventually be on Heljan's list...

Station building looks the business, by the way.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Informative/Useful 1