Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

I know that I’ve used this thread not just to highlight stock being built either from scratch or kits…hence it sitting in this section of the web. I’ve also strayed into modifying RTR…and more common material about the location of the station models. The Midland lines to the East of Birmingham never caught the photographers attention in quite the same way as the lines to the West. I mean where would you rather photograph steam trains? The rural bliss of the Lickey, plus steam working hard often with two or more locomotives. The alternative , the industrial landscape of Saltley, gasworks and all. I wish it had been more of the latter, but hindsight is a gift given only to journalists, and senior management! 

Fortunately more photos of Saltley are coming to light including these four my friend Don Taggart has discovered. He shared them with me last night when we met up with other members of the WORS for a curry and pint. The quality isn’t great but what they lack in that they make up in rarity value.

058902D7-D8A9-4901-AB22-C98441E85F0F.jpeg

E5BB586D-13AF-4123-91DB-C4412EA0BBFB.jpeg

05F7C039-19F1-4498-B47D-231139C5470B.jpeg

762F00F0-2231-49D7-9D8A-943A6D2A179D.jpeg

• Like 8

Reminds me of my misspent youth. Back in the 1980's me and some friends decided to walk the Hampton branch to water orton in search of railway memorabilia. Of course we were blissfully unaware that the wooden bridges were gone, not to mention the M6. Don't think I've ever been so wet in my life, but I did find a Midland railway chair and also a milepost sign that we tried in vain to remove - hadn't occurred to us that tools would be required.😯

• Like 3

I attended Coleshill school 1968 to 1973. We had a field trip…basically a walk…to the River Blythe. The remnants of one of those bridges was still there. Another portion of the Hampton line was on the school cross country run route. I’m glad to say this activity was never to my liking. I found an escape route,  as you were excused cross country if you were in the school rugby team. I was then, as indeed I still am , a  perfectly proportioned prop forward…

Photo of the bridge in better days

CA0BB747-02B4-489B-A31A-B96AEBA98912.jpeg

• Like 7

I am conscious that my recent posts concerning Coleshill have been prototype based, setting the scene and era. I will continue showing any work on the models here , but have created a separate thread for the historical stuff in modelling real locations. Coleshill Forge Mills

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t help myself, having downsized my collection recently…a Heljan HS 4000 awaits opening under my Christmas tree.This was purchased partially ,to cheer me up after our house move has stalled. More appropriate for this thread another pick me up purchase. A Midland Flatiron.It was bought as a non runner. Nicely painted and lined. It will have my preferred comet chassis high level motor and gears fitted sometime in the new year. Posed for now alongside Coleshill. They were regulars on this line.

188FFD96-68EE-4D44-8947-BD039D762766.jpeg

0A39EFFF-3767-4F3C-BFA1-DFE443CF36FA.jpeg

• Like 6

Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year, hopefully in our new house.

I’ve just recounted to John R, how in the name of research I used my body to establish the height of platform lamps situated at Cheltenham Racecourse station. 
We were on the Santa special yesterday, my wife son daughter in law and three year old grandson.

I have bought a pack of working platform lamps for Coleshill. They are too tall. I discovered by standing next to two samples of the real article at Cheltenham yesterday. My 5 ft 10 inches rounded off to six foot that they appear to be in two sizes approx ten feet, or 14 feet. My family tried to disown me, but in the end agreed to make the visual assessment. 

The conclusion of this exercise, I will need to adapt the height of them for Coleshill being the smaller version. Trying not to damage the wiring. 

Thank you all for continuing to read this, and for any contributions made.

photo of our locomotive Foremark Hall added. John will confirm , the GWSR is a delight.

Brian 

80F9E495-FAF4-4561-B5B6-B07A92CFB024.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I cant really believe I’m typing this, still waiting to move house. In the meantime distracting myself by building , what was the new house for the station master and their family. I won’t show the build here yet. It’s been difficult a distinct lack of photographs especially on the side that faced towards Leicester. The station master and their family really needed to be at peace with the railway with exchange sidings for Hams Hall behind them and their garden. The house itself looks to be an inter war build grey rendering on the outside.

On the locomotive front awaiting being reunited with my soldering iron and putting a new chassis under the Flatiron.

To cheer myself up have just paid for my Heljan E2001 from Rails of Sheffield. It was preordered many moons ago. I saw the loco at Rugby about 1972 just before it was scrapped. I will post some photos in due course.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Hello Andy

I could fill a whole thread with what has been happening. Sadly for my good friend John (R) he has had a flavour in our pms. I won’t burden the rest of you. It has allowed time to model Coleshill buildings and plan for the new layout. I still have the buildings from Water Orton wrapped in bubble wrap. A sad sight…I won’t have enough room to include them in any layout…my thought is to have a diorama on a shelf. The other option would be to donate them to a welcoming home? 

They consist of the station building, Minworth Road bridge, the platform with waiting rooms. All signal boxes and the four road footbridge.

• Friendly/supportive 2

A cheer me up present. A loco ordered some time ago whenI had a layout to run it on. It’s a beautiful model can’t wait to see it double head through Coleshill with HS4000 like it did in real life .,. ahem…

ACD2F38F-D97A-4DD6-B95B-6FD1175068E3.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

9C645031-6E4F-44BA-A552-F637CBF6D70B.jpeg.d02072e730b8cd4b1473c4f84782b4dc.jpegIt might not look like it but quite a bit of work since last photo. I wasn’t happy with the paper covered roof, nor the colour of the walls. Roof now from wills , the new walls covered in scale scenes pebbledash. The tedious task of creating the windows now underway. I have just commented to John R via PM at least Coleshill station master seems nearer to his new home than we are…

The colouring on the previous paper covered  roof was better, so this new one will be re painted in due course . It is just resting on the walls at present to allow me to fit glazing to windows.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The original paper covered roof returned after I realised I had built the replacement plastic one too big. House now virtually complete just awaiting a couple of chimney pots and a layout to place it on! 

5E9D46D2-56CC-4AFA-A2DC-8CED4B56E5DD.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

Yes John looking forward to it, almost there…After moving I have to convince my son to put a ceiling in this garage….sorry layout room, a bit of insulation…window in the wall looking out to the garden..behind the position where this photo is taken. A bit of plaster on the walls…nice flooring, kettle …who needs a house 

046B0A84-4261-4368-BFF6-A45B54664AB0.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/12/2023 at 14:22, 46256 said:

A photo from the Warwickshire Railways archive. Flatiron and 2F at Saltley. I couldn’t resist the two shots of more modern times at New Street as well 

387D35F9-6F45-4F64-B4E1-2439DA0FF3C5.jpeg

4824C226-CE2E-4904-868F-DDDA8EF2AAC6.jpeg

CBDCF757-72C5-4A41-A435-09B8A6AEFD67.jpeg

Saltley - and Bourneville - both had collections of grubby old LMS engines, some of which, even then, were antiques redolent of Emmet Dunn....! The old New Street - I remember it well. A dark, cavernous grubby maw, the echoing sounds of locos and busy footfall on that footbridge ......it was a main pedestrian route into the city centre and was rammed with people at rush hour. The old northern side was bomb-damaged during the war and the remains torn-down, over which loomed the ugly rear face of the old LNWR Queens Hotel, where my mother used to work. BNS was a dark, dirty Dickensian hole, but not without it's charm for those interested in the locos. I'd still rather have it than the current station, a typical dingy BR nuclear bunker.....!

Actually, the old LNWR Queens hotel was large - and quite splendid inside. It was the preferred place to stay for all the stars and personalities appearing in - or passing through Brummagem.

Edited by Methuselah
  • Like 4

On 17/12/2023 at 09:58, 46256 said:

I can’t help myself, having downsized my collection recently…a Heljan HS 4000 awaits opening under my Christmas tree.This was purchased partially ,to cheer me up after our house move has stalled. More appropriate for this thread another pick me up purchase. A Midland Flatiron.It was bought as a non runner. Nicely painted and lined. It will have my preferred comet chassis high level motor and gears fitted sometime in the new year. Posed for now alongside Coleshill. They were regulars on this line.

188FFD96-68EE-4D44-8947-BD039D762766.jpeg

0A39EFFF-3767-4F3C-BFA1-DFE443CF36FA.jpeg

Sorry to pickup on this one a bit late. Southeastern Finecast do two etched chassis for this loco. The FC 200 & 202 are direct replacements for the Triang Jinty chassis. These will be an easy retro fit into the Wills / SEF early kits

However they now do a bespoke etched chassis FC185 for the loco

• Like 2

Sincere thanks Hayfield for this info,

I have however a comet  264t chassis pack in my spares box, left over from my building garratts some time ago. I think it can be easily adapted.

The high level gear box wheels  etc also lie waiting in various packing cases.

We are moving in just over a weeks time.

My wife has some plans to “ do the garden” …and of course there is the unpacking. John R has kindly suggested I set up my modelling bench asap when we move, thus staying out of her way, and allowing her the necessary space,  whilst she does this essential work.

I am just waiting for the right moment,  preferably away from any heavy or sharp objects to suggest this  to her.

best wishes Brian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Another image of Saltley, what atmosphere

F9EAC002-2203-43EB-AC52-D80E81491496.jpeg

Looks like a sharp winters day - a low hazy sun under an atmospheric high. One can almost smell the smoke hanging in the air.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Sincere thanks Hayfield for this info,

I have however a comet  264t chassis pack in my spares box, left over from my building garratts some time ago. I think it can be easily adapted.

The high level gear box wheels  etc also lie waiting in various packing cases.

We are moving in just over a weeks time.

My wife has some plans to “ do the garden” …and of course there is the unpacking. John R has kindly suggested I set up my modelling bench asap when we move, thus staying out of her way, and allowing her the necessary space,  whilst she does this essential work.

I am just waiting for the right moment,  preferably away from any heavy or sharp objects to suggest this  to her.

best wishes Brian

....of course Brian, you can have your cake and eat it........🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyGAL9Rv7Pk&t=17s

Edited by Methuselah
  • Like 1