Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. The only problem being that I'm using an R-T-R chassis. moving the wheels is more work than I want on this project. I suppose this is the issue of trying to turn an 0-6-0T into an 0-4-0T.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Following Northroader's Suggestion I have been looking at easy ways to modify the chassis without to much work. So I present version 2:

post-22762-0-85830800-1483124863_thumb.jpg

Thoughts please,

Gary

Edit: yes I know the spring is now in the wrong place and I need another one I will sort that out once I have some feedback.

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The other way, which should reduce the work needed, is to shorten the back end. A lot of 040s didn't have a bunker, but rather had a coal box behind the cab side sheet on the opposite side to the driver with his reverser lever, like this:post-26540-0-01667300-1483130496_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Made a final couple of adjustments. The rear of the cab now doesn't stick over the bufferbeam, the rear spring goes inside the cab sheet and I removed the top of the bunker from the front image.

Could this be the final design?

post-22762-0-24073700-1483138546_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, I could've put a picture of a LNWR 040st in which is very similar, and there were quite a few in shunting use.I'm a big fan of 040t engines, the old Hornby prewar tinplate range made extensive use of them, as the track had to be really bad to upset them. In Germany and associated countries, they saw extensive use on the nebenbahn, equivalent to our light Railways. Really there should have been a BR standard 040t. Anyway, rant over, good luck with the build, you'll have a nice looking engine quite suitable for Oak Hill at the end of it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Northroader,

I have always bee a fan of small tank engines I have several pugs around of both the caley and L&Y variery. most have had something done to them to make them unique for example one of my caley pugs has been converted into a crude representation of "Kelton Fell" from the Rowrah and Kelton Fell Railway, as preserved by the Scotish Railway Preservation Society.

I don't know what it is about small tank engines but I can't have enough.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

What a good idea.  I like the look of the engine and it looks about right now.  Brass is certainly different to plastic, (obviously).  It is certainly more 'difficult' and I started using Shire Scenes sides for Ratio kits which was an interesting learning process.  Look forward to seeing the build.  By the way what is the wheelbase of Nellie?

• RMweb Gold

Well this year has been an eventful one for me modelling wise. I only started as a pre-grouping modeller proper in January and since then have met many online friends through this section of RMWeb and with your help I have achived a lot more than I ever thought I could.

In that same time I have been elected to the commitee of my MRC something which I am very proud of, and in the last few days I have recived corrispondance regarding Oak Hill that has made me feel prouder than ever, but I'm not ready to say what it is yet so you will have to wait.

That just leaves me to say:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Plasfynnon of the same class as Mountaineer was the regular Kerry branch engine at the turn of the century; plenty of views on passenger trains and must have had a bit of power as the Kerry branch was nothing like flat. There is a lovely photo of it on a train on one of the Oakwood Press bookmarks. One four wheel carriage and some goods stock. So your replica should be a "very useful engine".

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan,

I had at one point considered putting dumb buffers on the loco as I couldn't see it being powerful enough to be anything but a 19th century shunter. It is really good to hear that similar locos ran branch lines as it gives some credibility to the story I have concocted for it.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well not wanting to be accused of "hanging around" when it comes to modelling I started work on the Manning Wardle on new years eve. I have now got to what I feel is a rather good stage in time for this weeks update, remember I haven't ever really worked with brass before.

So without further ado, the new Manning Wardle as designed on this thread:

post-22762-0-38038400-1483463970_thumb.jpg

most of the plastic fittings have come from various models from the Great British Locomotives magazine, I knew that was a good investment:

post-22762-0-44407000-1483463971_thumb.jpg

I have even fitted some basic cab details:

post-22762-0-27546300-1483463972_thumb.jpg

The original motor from Nellie even fits inside so has been refurbished and is in the loco.

So what do you all think, I am rather happy with how it is coming together and am looking forward to getting it on it's wheels.

Thanks for looking, and hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

Well not wanting to be accused of "hanging around" when it comes to modelling I started work on the Manning Wardle on new years eve. I have now got to what I feel is a rather good stage in time for this weeks update, remember I haven't ever really worked with brass before.

So without further ado, the new Manning Wardle as designed on this thread:

attachicon.gifmanningWardle1.jpg

most of the plastic fittings have come from various models from the Great British Locomotives magazine, I knew that was a good investment:

attachicon.gifmanningWardle2.jpg

I have even fitted some basic cab details:

attachicon.gifmanningWardle3.jpg

The original motor from Nellie even fits inside so has been refurbished and is in the loco.

So what do you all think, I am rather happy with how it is coming together and am looking forward to getting it on it's wheels.

Thanks for looking, and hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Cracking, bags of character (and a further reminder of my dismal failure to any bashing for the WN), look forward to seeing it progress (and your choice of livery).