The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone!!

I bit of an update, unfortunately only a small one as I have been too ill to actually do much modelling!! However I have got a couple of new kits!

The bit of modelling I have done is to make all the people that I have painted so far be able to stand up!!!

post-22762-0-27234000-1517353312_thumb.jpg

And as fo new kits there is a second I3, this is the SEF kit which is newer than my existing Wills one, the body is the same but this one has an etched chassis, whereas my Will's one had a whitemetal lump! and this even came with a full set of Romfords!!

post-22762-0-38523400-1517352815_thumb.jpg

The other kit I got is another SECR brake van:

post-22762-0-57282900-1517352721_thumb.jpg

I am hoping to backdate this to one of the "open veranda" ones. I don't think it will be to much work, we shall see when I get to it!!

So only a short one today! Hopefully I shall feel better again soon and can get on!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 3

Some nice bits there: I await further updates with interest!

Hope you begin to feel somewhat better soon. I understand getting 'well' may take a bit longer, but 'better' would be something!

E. Missenden

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Sir Eustace!!

I am looking forward to seeing them built as well!!

As for recovery, I really appreciate your sentiments. I have periods of belling "better" but it has been so long since I have been "well" that I am starting to forget how it even feels!! The last week or so has been hell with constant pain and tiredness, I can get a full nights sleep and still not be able to function in the morning!!! How I wish for a diagnosis!!

Gary

It's bad enough to feel, and be, that ill when you know what it is you're suffering from, and know how it will probably be treated. You have the issue of not knowing what you have been suffering from combined with the actuality of being ill. Of course, they'll say they can't treat it because they haven't been told what it is, which makes it yet worse still.

I think all here will agree when I say we are all rooting for you, and hope that you can at least get a diagnosis. From there, hopefully you will be on the road back to being 'well' again, and they'll be able to treat whatever has been causing you to be in the situation you're in.

So far I am lucky enough to have not ended up in that situation, but it could happen at anytime, and the fact you're making so many people interested and happy with what you're doing, whilst in so much pain yourself is truly incredible. I will say again how inspiring your work has been for me, and that (combined with Castle Aching, Umber is the new Black, Eric Gates' work and a Bachmann E4!) your thread is the main reason I am on the forum now, and modelling pre-grouping! This thread proved to me that my back-of-the-mind-'cos-it's-never-going-to-happen ambition to build a pre-grouping layout needn't be so out-of-reach, and that simple projects, and techniques that are kind to a low budget, can create something truly wonderful!

All the very best,

E. Missenden

• Like 2

Hopefully these will lift a few people's moods! Including my own...

HMPS_MIRH_6.jpg

LBSCR Class E5 'Freshwater' - Possibly a bit of inspiration to both Gary and myself!

HMPS_MIRH_9.jpg

An LSWR 4-4-0 (Please excuse my ignorance as to the class: I do know, just can't remember!)

HMPS_MIRH_3.jpg

A really rather nice view of Newport in pre-grouping days.

HMPS_MIRH_8.jpg

I may have a yearning to do a pre-grouping IOW Layout... doesn't show at all, does it?! I notice a railmotor-type thing (No.1) in the background...

HMPS_MIRH_10.jpg

Terriers! In IWCR livery too...

All by C. Hamilton Ellis, as inspired by ongoing discussions in Castle Aching!

E. Missenden

• Like 13

I have seen some modern railway paintings on the Guild of Railway Artists website, but I doubt such beautiful works are being produced.

post-33498-0-55272500-1517425359_thumb.png

I've been inspired to dig out some of the IOW liveried terriers in TS... the route is set in early BR days, but oh well!

• Like 4

OK,

I've now reached Carisbrooke, after reversing out of the bay at Newport and taking the Freshwater branch. This was based on the orientation of FYN No.1 (The Manning Wardle) in one of the above paintings!

post-33498-0-39114500-1517426481_thumb.png

• Like 3

Thanks Sir Eustace!!

I am looking forward to seeing them built as well!!

As for recovery, I really appreciate your sentiments. I have periods of belling "better" but it has been so long since I have been "well" that I am starting to forget how it even feels!! The last week or so has been hell with constant pain and tiredness, I can get a full nights sleep and still not be able to function in the morning!!! How I wish for a diagnosis!!

Gary

Hi Matey......

I hope that you'll get a diagnosis of the root cause of your ill health soon, that in itself would ellevate some of the anxiety of not knowing, which obviously feeds into your general overall condition....All the best as always....

Bob

Hopefully these will lift a few people's moods! Including my own...

HMPS_MIRH_6.jpg

LBSCR Class E5 'Freshwater' - Possibly a bit of inspiration to both Gary and myself!

HMPS_MIRH_9.jpg

An LSWR 4-4-0 (Please excuse my ignorance as to the class: I do know, just can't remember!)

HMPS_MIRH_3.jpg

A really rather nice view of Newport in pre-grouping days.

HMPS_MIRH_8.jpg

I may have a yearning to do a pre-grouping IOW Layout... doesn't show at all, does it?! I notice a railmotor-type thing (No.1) in the background...

HMPS_MIRH_10.jpg

Terriers! In IWCR livery too...

All by C. Hamilton Ellis, as inspired by ongoing discussions in Castle Aching!

E. Missenden

The LSWR Locomotive is a Class T7

Michael

• Like 4

Thanks... I thought it was a T-Something (4-coupled - it's good guess...)

Meanwhile, I've managed to stall No.2 on a 1 in 60 between Carisbrooke and Watchingwell....

Waiting for the pressure to rise a bit, and had the injectors open to also raise the water level. Trouble is, I went to start this post and have now managed to overfill the boiler! So now I'll have water coming out of the chimney when I begin to move... I'll post another screenshot then...

post-33498-0-10482400-1517427548.png

• Like 3

I have taken quite a taking to the Slaughter & Gruning 2-2-2T shown in that painting!

Meanwhile, back on the FYN, No.2 wouldn't restart following the stall (It is a 1 in 60!), so I had to go and get help:

post-33498-0-12657100-1517428351.png

I know No.2 was only brought in from the LSWR after the IWC and FYN fell out, but it was the only loco facing the right way that I'd put in the scenario. It was sat at the head of a Ryde train until I commandeered it for rescue purposes!

• Like 3

That's a beautiful painting! Inspiring for me in the sense that I have the drawings for a B1, soo...

post-33498-0-63396700-1517429152_thumb.png

A shot showing the steepness of the gradient!

post-33498-0-64329100-1517429286_thumb.png

And the two terriers taking the train up the hill towards Watchingwell. I'll probably detach the IWC Terrier at Ningwood, where it can top its tanks up with the water crane. Also, I want to post a shot of the pair over Calbourne Viaduct! Unless anyone recommends keeping the IWC loco further on to Yarmouth or even Freshwater? I can't think why, but there may be some gradients I've forgotten about!

• Like 5