The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Yes. I also assume the coloured marks are recent. At least compared to Oak Hill anyway! 

Getting them coloured will be one thing, making them look realistic will be quite another. 

Gary

On the contrary, the coloured marks are well within your period.  Thomas Hardy's character Diggory Venn, in Return of the Native, "is a reddleman; he travels the country supplying farmers with a red mineral called reddle (dialect term for red ochre) that farmers use to mark their sheep. Although his trade has stained him red from head to foot, underneath his devilish colouring he is a handsome, shrewd, well-meaning young man."

According to a shepherding website: "The idea of raddling tups is that you can see which ewes they have tupped. Except that is in itself a lie, all you can actually see is which ewes he has jumped upon and attempted to tup, coloured backsides are not a guarantee of lambs in the belly. Just as with humans, not everything conceives first time.

"So why raddle tups if it doesn't tell you that they are in lamb? It is usually a management tool. The colour of the raddle gets changed during tupping time. Some may change the colour after 17 days, enabling them to tell which tup was used for the first 17 days and which was used for the remaining duration. Others change the colour more regularly, every week or ten days, enabling them to batch sheep at lambing time.

"So what exactly is raddle? It's a coloured powder which is then mixed with oil before being slopped onto the tup. It is necessary to re apply the raddle every few days (as it keeps getting wiped off on ewes backsides), so it is always hoped the tup likes sheep cake and will trot up for the bucket whilst more gunk is applied to his brisket."

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

The ewe carries the lamb for 145 days, roughly four and a half months. Most lambing is timed for March and April, so tupping was usually around October and November, however some farmers aim for lambing before Christmas, so tupping would be in July, but I can't find out whether this was done in earlier days, or whether this only applied in certain parts of the country.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2019 at 11:34, BlueLightning said:

Jeff,

Thanks for that. I like the idea of adding some paint to the glue for variation. I will definitely try this!! As for the grass see below.

Thanks Andy,

Yes you are right about the grass with the sheep, however the grass is the same over the whole layout, and I have only recently moved the sheep to that field, I still need to paint them! (any tips from anyone would help)

Gary

Gary,

If you have only just moved the sheep to that field then the grass needs to be longish as they will not have had time to mow it down.  :jester:

As for lambing time, I think that the further south you are the earlier that lambing occurs as it is warmer, although my son was on a farm in Herefordshire and was lambing in February.  It was freezing!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Can't go yet! Squire not here!!

894967756_2019-02-1316_46_05.jpg.a77f2e19d99d0f850d940561ae620111.jpg

Well that's my modelling funds emptied!! Well worth it though! Maybe not LB&SCR but I'm sure most of you can forgive me of staying from the path this time. Just got to get some nameplates, and Dan's coach to go with it!!

Can't wait to have this one built.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone!

If you cast your mind back some time you will remember I started work on a body for an E1, using parts from a K's Terrier, I recently got a chassis for it, but wanting to place it on wheels, and discovering I can't find the ones for the E1, I decided to have some fun with something different. Please excuse the state of the body, it has taken a bit of a battering in it's time in storage and needs some repair work, never mind the fact it was never properly finished in the first place.

So following the LB&SCR's Atlantics it was decided that tender engines were not really necessary for the Brighton, and having to turn them was more effort than was needed.

What if this had been decided sooner? What if it was in fact William Stroudley that made the decision to rid the line of tender engines? I present to you what I have dubbed the G Tank, a tank engine form of Stroudley's G Class Single wheeler!

1585994047_2019-03-0216_49_27.jpg.5d05ed2a305f0006896af9bdab55aae5.jpg

Being that this is based on the E1 I can roughly work out the difference in fuel from a G. I am claiming that this has the same internals as the G since it is supposed to be a tank engine version of that.

The G could carry 2250 gallons of water, and 2 tons of coal. The E1 could carry 900 gallons of water, and 1.75 tons of coal.

I will have lost some water capacity in this design due to the large driver taking up the tank space, however I have added a well tank to the back, I have calculated these at 304 gallons lost to the wheels, but 438 gallons gained in the well tank. this brings me up to 1035 gallons, So I assume about half the range of the G, but taking on water can be done at most stations without leaving the platform, so this probably isn't an issue, bit would be nice if I could add more

For the difference in coal load I think I could probably make up most of that by extending the bunker upwards and adding some coal rails.

All in all I am rather happy with this imaginary loco, I would love to hear what other people think, although at the moment there is no guarantee the model will continue.

Gary

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Gary...

Nothing wrong with a bit of imagination... 

I used to doodle complete fleets of rolling stock for imaginary railway systems, including a rapid transit system based on the City Walls of Chester ...CCPT, Chester City Public Transport....The City Walls Line!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks surprisingly like something he had on the Highland.....

28AE3CB7-CD1A-4204-BD4F-595FF06DC231.jpeg.7c80d13ebf869f1b4e6fccccc068c3a7.jpeg090D59E0-B8D6-4218-83FE-EA70EBE1E4C7.jpeg.46854b6d66b07a5ae9aff76b4bc6f6ae.jpeg

Mind you, this was a rebuild, and turned out to be not that useful, manly because train weights and gradients got the better of it.

Andy g

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Looks surprisingly like something he had on the Highland.....

28AE3CB7-CD1A-4204-BD4F-595FF06DC231.jpeg.7c80d13ebf869f1b4e6fccccc068c3a7.jpeg090D59E0-B8D6-4218-83FE-EA70EBE1E4C7.jpeg.46854b6d66b07a5ae9aff76b4bc6f6ae.jpeg

Mind you, this was a rebuild, and turned out to be not that useful, manly because train weights and gradients got the better of it.

Andy g

Hhhhhhhmmmmm,  single driver tank engine....  Might just have to do that... 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Yes, I can see the similarities. I like it, but a Stroudley cab, and outside cylinders looks odd!

Was Stroudley ever at Crewe?  That's a classic 'Crewe' front end.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My only comment is that it might be wise to move the rear trailing wheels back a little to give greater stability and less overhang - and fewer problems with couplings on curves.

Definitely forgo the outside cylinders.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

You are right about the overhang at the back, however this is the amount of overhang the LBSC E1's actually had! The body is an E1, as is the chassis, and the leading and trailing wheels are in the axel holes for the front and rear wheel set. However this doesn't mean they would stay this way. Although it does make life easier if they do as the body already has splashers!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning

They had that much overhang, even with the extended bunker? I would have thought that would have increased the overhang over the rear axle... Plus, hanging extra coal weight *and* a well tank off those frames, that's going to be a fair amount of extra stress on the metal...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1