The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

Well today has been very busy, and now I'm too tired to actually write a proper update. So how about I leave you with a picture of a new toy I picked up this week?

attachicon.gif2018-11-23 17.37.31.jpg

It obviously needs some changes, the reason I got the Southern one is because the body represents it's pre-rebuild condition. The only thing I think it needs is bogie brakes and a repaint. (I'm sure James will correct me if I'm wrong!) It will be staying as number 421 and going into 1912 condition to run on Hailsham.

While we are here it is a wonderful runner, and the work done so far to Oak Hill has really paid off. I must get on with the refurb again!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

That's lovely.....!

Regards 

Bob

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Firstly thanks for the Christmas wishes everyone!!

and now for a look at the Christmas gifts I got!!!

There were only a few items for the railway this year, but they are things I am very happy with!

First there was another Hattons P Class! Number 27 in Wainwright livery. SO I now have all 3 Bluebell engines from Hattons, I need to find something to do with my kit built one now as that is currently 27 in Wainwright livery!

post-22762-0-36665300-1545824703_thumb.jpg

There was also an unbuilt Will Finecast SECR D Class kit (Now Hornby can finally announce theirs!! Yes I believe this is going to happen this year, no I don't care!!):

post-22762-0-19081300-1545824769_thumb.jpg

and finally on the railway front was a Wills Village Blacksmith set, I plan for this to be set up outside the blacksmith building in the goods yard, although the horse included is much smaller than the one I have for the yard already (14 hands when compared to 17!) Does anyone know if this would be big enough for a Railway horse? If not I will have to get another larger one and cut it about to make it look like the Blacksmith is shoeing it.

post-22762-0-79044800-1545825016_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-13253100-1545825173_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

I am working on the, 'if I post something wrong someone will correct me within 5 minutes' ploy.  I think 14 hands would be a bit small, but there is a breed in the States that is called the Morgan and that stands at 14 hands and used to be used in the 19th Cent for just about everything.

A shire horse is 17 hands, and a female shire is about 16 hands and trade horses were probably smaller.  So a bit contradictory but the horse does look a bit lightweight.

Firstly thanks for the Christmas wishes everyone!!

and now for a look at the Christmas gifts I got!!!

There were only a few items for the railway this year, but they are things I am very happy with!

First there was another Hattons P Class! Number 27 in Wainwright livery. SO I now have all 3 Bluebell engines from Hattons, I need to find something to do with my kit built one now as that is currently 27 in Wainwright livery!

attachicon.gif2018-12-25 10.37.35-1.jpg

There was also an unbuilt Will Finecast SECR D Class kit (Now Hornby can finally announce theirs!! Yes I believe this is going to happen this year, no I don't care!!):

attachicon.gif2018-12-25 10.36.29-1.jpg

and finally on the railway front was a Wills Village Blacksmith set, I plan for this to be set up outside the blacksmith building in the goods yard, although the horse included is much smaller than the one I have for the yard already (14 hands when compared to 17!) Does anyone know if this would be big enough for a Railway horse? If not I will have to get another larger one and cut it about to make it look like the Blacksmith is shoeing it.

attachicon.gif2018-12-25 10.36.18.jpg

attachicon.gif2018-12-26 11.51.08.jpg

Gary

Lovely gifts......

See that's what happens when you're a good little chap Gary....!

Regards always.... Santa....

ooop's sorry

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Or use it for a bit of perspective modelling.

Jonathan

I like the idea of perspective modelling, The problem is being right at the front of the layout and quite close together I'm not sure it'll work. Picture the Shire at the front pulling a flat dray, loaded with some as yet undecided delivery.

post-22762-0-05230800-1545867396_thumb.jpg

Thoughts??

Gary

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

My original idea (before getting the kit) was that the horse included would be a second railway horse. I already have one Shire, and 2 carts for them (flat drays I think, but I have an idea to modify these). The actual railway stable has 4 berths, so there would be another 2 horses somewhere!

Would a railway have had adolescent horses? or would they have waited for them to grow up before getting them?

Gary

• Like 2

Aha! Putting the kit horse before the cart, eh? ;)

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks the horse if it's an alcoholic considering all the bars he frequents, to which the horse replies "I think not!"

POOF! The horse disappears.

This is the point in time when all the philosophy students in the audience begin to giggle, as they are familiar with the philosophical proposition of Cogito ergo sum, or I think, therefore, I am.

But to explain the concept beforehand would be putting Descartes before the horse.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

...The actual railway stable has 4 berths, so there would be another 2 horses somewhere!

Would a railway have had adolescent horses? or would they have waited for them to grow up before getting them?

Would the horse's size be less noticeable if you just had its head sticking out over the bottom part of a stable door?

I suspect (which of course means "I've no idea but I'm guessing") that even if the railway companies did buy juvenile horses, they would have been kept in paddocks out in the sticks rather than taking up valuable space in a working goods yard.     

• Like 3