The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Unbelievable Councils

davefrk

I did warn you not to get Poursee started...you want to try going down the pub with him, takes you hours just to get there. Dave any chance you can cast him a lamp post or 2...I'll even buy some myself.

You lot truley are wan.... nutters!

I off to the Canal World Forum to join in with a heated debate about puddling clay...

But they are discussing lamps made in Tipton, and Tipton has more miles of canal than Venice, so you'll be back where you started......

Simple maths usually proves it is a lot longer. You take many more steps on the way home. Count them.

P

P.s. Taxi's are for wimmin.

...however if you take a wimmin to the pub with you, you can always cadge a lift home in her taxi...

...however if you take a wimmin to the pub with you, you can always cadge a lift home in her taxi...

Ah. I had forgot about that. I'd also forgot about falling into the back seat AND sitting on the dog.

be rude not, especially as they will have already budgeted for it...

but don't think she had budgeted for the veterinaries fees for fixing up the dog.

Some of them are sideways.

and some of them are most probably backwards. I've been virtually tea total for about fifteen years now and have had to chaperon quite a few folk back from the pub. This experience alone has taught me the return journey is a lot longer.

• RMweb Premium

So is the journey back from the pub.

And can be wet if there's a canal on the way. :jester:

Someone is going to say that they collect lamp post numbers next.

Now where did I put my Ian Allan abc of street lamps?

The street lamps around my way are numbered so that faults/damage can be reported to the council.

• RMweb Premium

It's individual departments' coffers really. If you have money left at the year end you lose it; you can't carry it over. Of course as you've spent less, next year you get less. So departments that have held on to money for contingencies/emergencies but haven't needed it now start to spend it on jobs that were in the pipeline.

It's individual departments' coffers really. If you have money left at the year end you lose it; you can't carry it over. Of course as you've spent less, next year you get less. So departments that have held on to money for contingencies/emergencies but haven't needed it now start to spend it on jobs that were in the pipeline.

And isn't that absolutely silly. Central government knows it goes on, Local authorities knows it goes on and are forced into it, Councillors knows it goes on, and the general public knows it goes on. What happens? A rush to spend money replacing things that don't need replacing and "improving" things that don't need improving (in the main) when that same money could be spent far more beneficially elsewhere.

"Ring fenced funding" Don't get me started!

P

( I maybe getting too political now so I'm off to eat a Creme Egg [Caramel].)

....A rush to spend money replacing things that don't need replacing and "improving" things that don't need improving (in the main) when that same money could be spent far more beneficially elsewhere.

Ealing Council replaced a stretch of pavement along Haven Green within two years of, er, repaving it.....

• RMweb Premium

Someone is going to say that they collect lamp post numbers next.

Now where did I put my Ian Allan abc of street lamps?

My Council could have done with an ABC when I rang to report a fault with the Street lamp outside my home about 5 years ago:-

Council employee (hereafter 'Him') : "Can you check that (lamp) number again please sir?"  Me : "Number checked and confirmed as I reported it".

Him "Can you confirm your location/ address again for me sir?"  Me:- "Yes, as I told you". 

Him : "That lamp doesn't exist sir, its not on the map".  Me " Ah, is that the same map which has the property plot numbers diametrically opposed to the property address numbers, ie Plot 1 = House no 120, vice versa and all points between. ?".  Him " Oh!, if the engineer 'phones you once he's on the estate, could you flag him down and point him to this lamp?"

And so it transpired that I directed the engineer to the lamp in front of our home , which was repaired in less than half the time the 'phone conversation had taken.

Surprisingly, the lamp number was on the map in the correct location the next time I had to report a fault with it. Progress eh?

Archived