New Lenz Standard + V2 decoder.

Lenz have replaced their lowest priced standard sized (H0/00) decoder, the Standard + (Plus), with a new version 2.

As far as I can gather, the changes are...

Addition of ABC (Automatic Braking Control).

An increase from 3 to 4 function outputs.

Function outputs optimised for use with LEDs.

Function outputs have adjustable switched timing for use with DCC remote uncoupling. (is this new on this decoder?)

Price remains the same.

• RMweb Gold

There's always been support for remote uncoupling.  The Standard+ V1 has CVs 145-148 for this.  However there is a change with CV 148 which in V1 just specified loco movement. With V2 this is now split into CV 148 (away from coach) and CV 149 (towards coach).

Incidentally, I notice one of the German box-shifters (http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/) now have the V2 on sale for €21.95 whereas they used to sell the V1 for €17.99. 

• RMweb Gold

Available at €16,99 at Arstechnica (http://www.arstecnica.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=10231-02&XTCsid=gtpsss78ierlaj096vihllv1k4) with free delivery if you buy 3 or more. That's €50,97 for 3 which equates to around £39.50 at today's exchange rate. The cheapest UK one is Model Railways Direct but 3 will cost you £15.60 x 3 + £3.99 postage which makes a total of £50.79.  Compared to Arstechnica that's still equivalent to a 1:1 exchange rate, but better than Hatton's where the price is £18 + postage.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just picked up on this and it appears it's one of those rare occasions where it's a win win situation, the silver 10331 was always my decoder of choice. Usually picked up from my local shop, Waltons of Altrincham he's good on price too. I know he's waiting an order from Lenz  and has hardly decoders in at present as I nearly cleaned his stock out last week. 

• RMweb Premium

I've just picked up on this and it appears it's one of those rare occasions where it's a win win situation, the silver 10331 was always my decoder of choice. Usually picked up from my local shop, Waltons of Altrincham he's good on price too. I know he's waiting an order from Lenz  and has hardly decoders in at present as I nearly cleaned his stock out last week. 

Never found any advantage with Silver +

I've tried 6pin, flying leads and 21MTC versions and I couldn't see what advantage they gave for the extra money.

The local Tesco is out of stock

Poundland don't have any either!

Keith

• RMweb Gold
melmerby, on 12 Feb 2016 - 23:27, said:

Never found any advantage with Silver +

I've tried 6pin, flying leads and 21MTC versions and I couldn't see what advantage they gave for the extra money.

Keith

Except where your loco has a 6-pin or 21-pin socket.  Where a loco has a 21-pin socket in a tender with sufficient space, I've used a Standard+ with the 8-pin to 21-pin converter as it works out about £5 cheaper. My Bachmann C class and MLV are so fitted.

• RMweb Premium

Except where your loco has a 6-pin or 21-pin socket.  Where a loco has a 21-pin socket in a tender with sufficient space, I've used a Standard+ with the 8-pin to 21-pin converter as it works out about £5 cheaper. My Bachmann C class and MLV are so fitted.

I did say "tried" not used normally!

My usual Fitting is a Standard+ and if really short of space a Silver mini+ (E.g. Bachmann N class, or if fitted with 6 pin socket)

If you notice my previous posting re decoders, I have managed to squeeze a Standard+ in several locos that others have claimed have insufficent room (using a bit of ingenuity!) e.g. Bachmann Panniers.

Keith

The only benefit of a silver is its extra functions....

Now those extra functions are reduced to the singular with the new V2.

4 functions (Standard) versus 5 functions (Silver).

Plus ABC etc are also on the Standard now...

Except where your loco has a 6-pin or 21-pin socket. 

More socket choices for the Standard would be very helpful.

Note that the equivalent ESU Standard decoder comes in 3 varieties....

8-pin (on a harness)

21-pin

PluX12

• RMweb Premium

Just bought a couple of standard+ V2's and one drawback, function four is just a solder pad on the corner of the decoder. There is no wire attached for this function.

I don't suppose there is a spare pin on the plug for it, so Lenz assume if you are going to have to do some soldering anyway why bother?

I wouldn't find it a drawback at all.

Keith

• RMweb Gold
melmerby, on 15 Feb 2016 - 23:11, said:

I don't suppose there is a spare pin on the plug for it, so Lenz assume if you are going to have to do some soldering anyway why bother?

I wouldn't find it a drawback at all.

Keith

Some other brands of decoders come with a loose wire already soldered on.   

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just bought 3 of these for some new locos on order.  I did a quick search to see if there had been any problems with this decoder and found quite a few documented in German forums.  Apparently there were issues with lights and as a result Lenz have had to update the decoder.

The first shipments have a version number in CV 7 of 77, whereas the revised ones have a value of 79.  I bought mine from Arstecnica who have a high turnover, so all mine are the revised version.  The firmware level in CV 128 is set to 21, compared to 13 on my V1 decoders but I'm not sure whether that's relevant.

Anyway the decoder works absolutely fine in a Heljan 33/1. Luckily I bought mine before the pound dropped against the euro so they cost me £14 each.  Last time I bought from Arstecnica it was free postage and delivered by Royal Mail, but this order came in 3 days with free courier delivery (DPD).

• 9 months later...

Just noted Arstecnica are now only offer free postage outside of Germany on orders of 100 euros or more and the Lenz Standards have gone up to 17.82 euros. Shipping on orders less than 100 euros is 8 euros. By comparison they are £16.60 at Model Railways Direct (albeit currently OS)  with £3.99 postage.

Archived