RMweb

Well, I learn something every day! (I'd probably learn more than one thing each day, if I paid attention)

My colleague was (is) a few years older than me, so probably saw the film and lifted the idea from it - I genuinely believed until this very moment that he invented it himself.

Kevin

I think for the Glorious 4th there could be through coaches from almost anywhere (well not the Isle of Wight though).

Don

It's actually the Glorious 12th! :-)

Jim

You both have it wrong, it used to be the Glorious 11th. As any trainspotter railway enthusiast of long standing (and good memory) will tell you, that was the day when one could see a procession of extra trains, overnight sleepers and goodness what else dragged out of countless carriage sidings and setting of in a northerly direction.

On the 12th nothing much except certain persons wasting a lot of lead shot which could should have been used for weighting miniature locomotives.

Regards Roger

• Like 6

I have often thought about where I could site a model to allow a wide range of railways stuff to appear.  If you are happy to feature other railways coaches the the Highland probably followed by the Cambrian are good choices. However it is usually engines we want.

Carlisle is one on the best choices LNWR,MR, G&SWR, NER, M&CR, CR ( Caledonian) all had lines into Carlisle.

Don

If you want variety of engines what about the G&SWR or CR main lines between Glasgow and Carlisle. The loco builders of Glasgow, North British and its predecessors,Dubs, Sharps, Neilson etc. all delivered their products by rail to many Brittish companies so locos on their own or in a train could be seen. Of course they would also pass through Carlisle and further south too so even more variety.

My only sight of Warship diesels, before preservation, was when they were being delivered by rail down the Nith valley line. I only saw two, Spartan and Steadfast. Cleanest diesels I ever saw!

Ian.

• Like 1

The Castle Aching thread is most fun to click onto at about 3/4 day intervals.

The game is to try to work out how it has got here now (B) from (A) where you last left it.

i went about this morning's chores while at the back of my mind cogitating about where CA's route had taken it to the glorious 4,12, or 11th.

I confess it never occurred to me it was via the HR's bonanza summer month of collecting through carriages then safely delivering them back at Perth.

I have a reprint of a GCR 1903 timetable where it seemed one could catch a through carriage from Sheffield Vic to almost anywhere in the realm (with a big fold out map in the flyleaf to prove it).

My chief memory though is of great aunts being anxious to return to one's proper carriage from a half crown tea in the restaurant car (usually west of Salisbury) before you ended up in the wrong part of the train .

:locomotive:

dh

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

My reprint of the 1904 Cambrian timetables showed connections from all sorts of places including some Highland stations and lists all the through coaches quite fascinating.

Don 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Castle Aching thread is most fun to click onto at about 3/4 day intervals.

Ah, I'm at 3/4 day intervals, maybe I should only pop in once a day or less. :jester:

• Like 2

.........As any trainspotter railway enthusiast of long standing (and good memory) will tell you, that was the day when one could see a procession of extra trains, overnight sleepers and goodness what else dragged out of countless carriage sidings and setting of in a northerly direction.

Regards Roger

There is a classic example of a long train leaving Perth with vehicles from a wide variety of companies and three locos at its head. I'm on holiday at the moment but will post the details when I get home.

If you want variety of engines what about the G&SWR or CR main lines between Glasgow and Carlisle. The loco builders of Glasgow, North British and its predecessors,Dubs, Sharps, Neilson etc. all delivered their products by rail to many Brittish companies so locos on their own or in a train could be seen. Of course they would also pass through Carlisle and further south too so even more variety.

Ian.

There would also be wagons and coaches from the likes of Pickering and Hurst Nelson, all in 'out of the box' condition!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2

Lest anyone thinks me rude, neglectful, or should think that I am simply no longer interested in this project, I am afraid that things at my end are going from bad to worse.  There will be some end to it, no doubt, but in the meantime, I have neither the time not the heart to do much modelling or posting.

Please continue to talk amongst yourselves; I will certainly return to CA, and I hope that is sooner rather than later, and it would be nice to be able to come back to a topic that has not wholly died in the meantime.  When I resume working on this project, I will need the solace it provides.

Thanks to you all; your most valued contributions and encouragement have not been in vain and will result in a successful project, I promise you that!

In the meantime, nil desperandum, and if you do know of anyone interested in a very keenly priced Cambridgeshire farmhouse, do please let me know!

Edwardian

Being rather rubbish at the sort of encouragement you probably really need, can I ask a practical question?

Is the house well-advertised in London? I ask, because I remain baffled as to why it hasn't sold - It us a really good house.

I definitely would not want to be showing it to SWMBO, for fear of suddenly discovering that we are moving to Cambridgeshire (I've nothing against Cambridgeshire, but a very great deal against moving house, anywhere, having done so too many times for my liking).

Kevin

• Like 2

Edwardian

Being rather rubbish at the sort of encouragement you probably really need, can I ask a practical question?

Is the house well-advertised in London? I ask, because I remain baffled as to why it hasn't sold - It us a really good house.

I definitely would not want to be showing it to SWMBO, for fear of suddenly discovering that we are moving to Cambridgeshire (I've nothing against Cambridgeshire, but a very great deal against moving house, anywhere, having done so too many times for my liking).

Kevin

Thanks to your all for the support.

I have not determined to become a total recluse, I just am a but stymied at the moment.  Keeping active, that's the thing, but better if that's something that helps us on a practical level, which doesn't really leave room for railways.

Kevin, you are precisely right.  We actually bought the place with my daily London commute in mind, and it worked supremely well for that.  Peterborough is only 20 minutes away.  You can get the commuter trains, Great Northern I think it is now, as far as there, but I rarely took them because the intercity trains (GNER then East Coast now Virgin East Coast) more or less all stop at P'boro.  At commuting times they are at 20 minute intervals and when they don't stop at Stevenage the journey time can be as little as 48 minutes.  WIFI, plug socket, buffet, comfy chair with armrest.  And I'd invariably beat one of my partners to the office, who took a cattle train from Croydon each morning.

I am sure that I would have got to The Smoke faster than those who have moved to Huntingdonshire for the outer commuting stations, like Huntingdon and St Neots, because they only have the stoppers, which are always overtaken by the East Coast services.  If you are a London or Herts commuter and you want a commutable rural idyll and a hell of a lot of bang for your buck compared with your local market, it makes a lot of sense, but I really don't think the east side of Peterborough is on anyone's map.  It's crazy.

All the posh agents, Savills etc, just say they don't cover the area and the local agents sell mainly to the local market, and it's not going to sell to a local.  People just search the area they want, so how do you get them to look at an area they haven't yet come across?

Northroader, thank you, and you're still allowed to post interesting help, advice, pictures, and suggestions!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

The evening Standard has a supplement once a week, which seems to advertise things of interest to the longer-distance, perhaps three days each week, commuter, but I don't know if that only has agent's ads, or private ones too.

K

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure about the UK, but over here there are house selling websites such as Property Guys that allow you to sell your place yourself - and they do pretty well as well. I know in Fernie they made some good inroads into the real estate market. These sites are nationwide.

Someone like 'Purple Bricks' may be better for you than a local estate agent - they are Internet based and cover a wide area of the country. I have no connection with them myself, but a neighbour sold a house very quickly with them recently.

• Like 2

I'm sure you already know this, but... For out-of-area sales Rightmove is the most important site to be on (or the no.2 site, Zoopla). Most local agents list there but you can also pay extra to be "featured".

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I assume the problem is people tend to search the internet sites for an area they know and the property is not in an area popular with long distance commuters. It is how to get those commuters to be aware of other choices. Do none of the local agents have links to London Offices. Some of the local ones down here in the South West have links to London agents but that may be because the South West is a popular area for retirees.

Don

• Like 1

Just caught up with this thread the past few days. Just really wanted to add to what everyone else has said and hope you find a solution to the problem. I don't know much about selling houses, but as others have said, Rightmove is the most popular site, though Purple Bricks seem to advertise more on television. The commutable aspect is certainly worth exploring i.e. making sure the house shows up on searches for commuter etc.

p.s. I particularly liked the manure wagon a few pages back.

• Like 2

Just caught up with this thread the past few days. Just really wanted to add to what everyone else has said and hope you find a solution to the problem. I don't know much about selling houses, but as others have said, Rightmove is the most popular site, though Purple Bricks seem to advertise more on television. The commutable aspect is certainly worth exploring i.e. making sure the house shows up on searches for commuter etc.

p.s. I particularly liked the manure wagon a few pages back.

Welcome Charlie and thank you for the comments.  You have tipped up at a rather fallow period, but things will start to pick up before too long, I trust.

• Like 3

I suspect I have sinned.  I have been away and on my return I found that I could not find a record for password for RMWeb, or for the email account to which the reset is sent, and I found that my verification email address for that email account had been wrongly entered.

So, I have had to register again in order to get back here.  Now that I am no longer muzzled I am sure some kindly Mod can sort out the tangle in due course!

I am sorry to learn of the troubles of Edwardian - It's been a while since we shared info, but I have got nowhere in the meantime, though I found your track making efforts inspirational, and have enjoyed catching up.

If I can think of anything interesting to say, I'll try to pop in and keep something going on this excellent topic.

There is a classic example of a long train leaving Perth with vehicles from a wide variety of companies and three locos at its head. I'm on holiday at the moment but will post the details when I get home.

Having now returned from holiday and more or less caught up on things, the details of this are as follows :-

The train was the 07:00 from Perth to Inverness on 7th August 1888.  It comprised 37 vehicles from 9 railway companies, made up of 4 LBSCR, 8 LNWR, 1 NER, 5 MR, 4 NBR, 1 ECJS, 1 GNR, 2 WCJS AND 11 HR.  Among these were 12 horse boxes, 2 carriage trucks, 6 luggage vans, 1 ECJS sleeping car, 1 HR postal van and an HR brake van.  It left Perth 20 minutes late headed by 2 locos and a banker came on the rear at Blair Athol.  It left Kingussie 72 minutes late!  So, if you want an eclectic mix of coaching stock, model the HR main line in early August!    ;)

Jim