• RMweb Premium

K

PS: I just googled around, and there is a lot of advice saying "don't put coal ash in compost" ......... But, I used to watch these old guys do it!

At the time I doubt it was widely understood that coal ash contains such interesting materials such as arsenic - which even if they did realise, they would have been happy to have around their plants as an insecticide. 

• RMweb Gold

Mention of pigs reminds me of the cottages at the Black Country Living Museum where there is an outlet from the outside privy into the pig pen.

Bacon sandwich anyone?  :jester:

• Like 2

Are you meaning slag as in iron/steel works slag not something I would expect in Norfolk.

Exactly that.  Delivering the raw materials and distributing the products of the heavy industry of west central Scotland was the Caley's bread and butter! (BTW that's Caley to rhyme with pally, not with daily, as I've heard some pronounce it).

Jim

• Like 2

Why is it spelt to rhyme with "daily", then?

To rhyme with "pally", it should have a double consonant before the "-ey".

Because it's short for 'Caledonian'!  Seemples Igor!    :blum:

Jim

Do posh Edinburgh people call it the "Cailerdonian", I wonder?

K

Hence the two Edinburgh women.

One says "I hear you've moved to Morningside; you must suffer terribly from the Rates"

"Och no", says the other, "the odd wee mouse mebbie".

• RMweb Gold

In the UK we do not follow rules on spelling and pronunciation. So if they want to spell it Caley and pronounce it like Cally  they can. Well actually the Welsh may have rules but these include changing the first letter of a word which totally changes the pronunciation.

Mind you some Toffs pronounce House like Hice and some of their names the spelling has very little to do with the pronunciation. Regional areas mangle the pronunciation of words on principle and cockneys simply use a different word to confuse.  So really the choice is up to you.

Don

In the UK we do not follow rules on spelling and pronunciation. So if they want to spell it Caley and pronounce it like Cally  they can. Well actually the Welsh may have rules but these include changing the first letter of a word which totally changes the pronunciation.

Mind you some Toffs pronounce House like Hice and some of their names the spelling has very little to do with the pronunciation. Regional areas mangle the pronunciation of words on principle and cockneys simply use a different word to confuse.  So really the choice is up to you.

Don

Actually, Don, we do follow rules just as Simon has outlined, at least in Standard English (or RP) if not always in dialect. None of which has any bearing on the wonderful Castle Aching saga...

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually, Don, we do follow rules just as Simon has outlined, at least in Standard English (or RP) if not always in dialect. None of which has any bearing on the wonderful Castle Aching saga...

Richard

Really? And these are rigidly enforced for abbreviations of proper names?  I suggest you nip up to Scotland and tell them they have got it wrong. What bearing would RP have on Norfolk in 1905 ? My comment about the rules was that the is nothing to stop the Scots spelling and pronouncing it as they wish and was intended to be slightly humorous hence my references to the Welsh, Toffs and Cockneys.

My original question to Jim was because the nearest I know of Slag producing furnaces would be the Wellingborough to Corby area of the East Midlands Iron fields which I thought was rather far to source ballast. Unless anyone knows otherwise? 

Don

My humble apologies for opening a can of worms and so causing another hijacking of this thread. :sorry:  I shall endeavour in future to keep my Walter Meldrew alter ego under better control!

(My other pronunciation gripe is........) :sorry_mini:

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim's alter ego might well be Walter Meldrew.......... NO lets not go there. I did like the cockney's reminds me of my dad using his posh city finance voice worked allright till he said something like where's my titfer in the posh voice.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With regards to 4 wheel coaches, is this photo of a derelict GER one of any interest? Clicking on the photo reveals quite a large scan.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photo-South-Shields-Marsden-Whitburn-Colliery-GER-4-wheel-Coach-1934-/201556282984?hash=item2eedb0ce68:g:A5sAAOSwMmBVoWWL

And this one of a royal 6 wheel saloon.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photo-GER-Royal-Saloon-1863-Great-Eastern-6-wheel-Coach-Carriage-/141951986889?hash=item210cff6cc9:g:H-IAAOSwoBtW5wrM

I've just bought some photos from Deva Bob and he's a pleasure to do business with.

Flippin heck, while I'm at it, I found these resin M&GN coach body sides on Ebay. I think the seller is on here somewhere.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-GN-6-Wheel-passenger-coach-sides-Smallbrook-Studio-free-post-/271940439634?hash=item3f50e9ce52:g:g5MAAOSwDNdVoBuT

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

With regards to 4 wheel coaches, is this photo of a derelict GER one of any interest? Clicking on the photo reveals quite a large scan.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photo-South-Shields-Marsden-Whitburn-Colliery-GER-4-wheel-Coach-1934-/201556282984?hash=item2eedb0ce68:g:A5sAAOSwMmBVoWWL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photo-GER-Royal-Saloon-1863-Great-Eastern-6-wheel-Coach-Carriage-/141951986889?hash=item210cff6cc9:g:H-IAAOSwoBtW5wrM

I've just bought some photos from Deva Bob and he's a pleasure to do business with.

Flippin heck, while I'm at it, I found these resin M&GN coach body sides on Ebay. I think the seller is on here somewhere.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-GN-6-Wheel-passenger-coach-sides-Smallbrook-Studio-free-post-/271940439634?hash=item3f50e9ce52:g:g5MAAOSwDNdVoBuT

JCL, thank you.

The first picture, the derelict, I have seen before.  It looks to be the single 5-Compt. Third, which Kidner has as the original stock (from 1926).  A late GE disposal or did it go somewhere else first?  It is a great photo for showing the GE lettering and running number and for the U/F.

The second I had not seen.  If it went to the WNR, it would not be the first ex-Royal Saloon to end up on a light railway!

not realised that Smallbrook had ventured into MGN territory, so thank you.  I notice Mike Trice is producing 3D printed GNR coach buffers and 6-wheel coach axle-boxes-springs, though I suspect the latter would become more economical were there to be sold in sets for 6, not 3, coaches.

I can fully justify both Midland and GNR 6-wheel stock on CA.  I would like a rake of GE 6-wheelers first, though.

Problems with real life will probably mean little or no progress for some days.  I apologise in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

If you buy the coach sides I would not buy them from EBay as they are much more expensive, although I have not checked what the delivery costs from the retailer are.  The link to SmallBrook shows other coaches as well, including a Cambrian one which I have in brass.

I've been doing some digging this morning. As expected, there are drawing available from the Great Eastern Society of a W&U bogie coach and another type used on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury. (The GERS is excellent by the way- been a member for close on 40 years). These drawings download as PDFs and can apparently then be imported into programmes such as Sketch up on MAC, bit more of a faf on PC apparently. How practical would it be to create a 3D image suitable for printing? I speak as someone who is computer literate but not with drawing programmes so forgive my ignorance.

The drawings are under a pound each so to experiment would cost next to nothing, is this idea viable, what are the cost implications? Seems there is some interest in such a model so might be worth pursuing?

• Like 1

Thanks, Chris. 

We are contending with some pretty stressful legal and financial problems.  They are not intractable and they will not last forever, though sometimes it seems that they are and they will!  It takes just about all the income we can generate just to hold the line and some months there is, I am afraid, a very real danger of being overwhelmed completely.  I hate living like this.  Sometimes it means that the thing that seems to be keeping me reasonably sane has to be parked.  

Nevertheless, we have much to be thankful for and I do think that it is entirely reasonable to expect the situation to resolve itself eventually.

So, while I cannot promise any progress over the next few days, I am not about to give up!  Last winter we were reduced to living in a borrowed caravan for the best part of 3 months.  Things do get better and will continue to do so.

On the brighter side of life, I have started to uncover my stash of accessories, some of which I rescued from storage this week.  The advantage of 17 years in the armchair is all those bits and bobs acquired over the years (and some of these might actually date from the days of my childhood layout!) do add up.

Of this lot, on Castle Aching I intend to use the farm waggon, and the portable engine, which I have an idea might sit nicely on a GE Mac K. 

The rest are models that I would like to have for their own sake, but I think I shall have no difficulty in fitting them into future projects. I will work on them at a steady pace in between everything else!

I have plans for a pair of ploughing engines, because I hope to include part of an agricultural contractor's yard, because there was such a business in Castle Rising.  As May is not the ploughing season, this would seem a good excuse to include the engines.  The Z7 class is quite big and the kits will make impressive models.  I have my doubts about whether they would fit the circa 1905 period as I suspect that they might be a design from the Great War-Early '20s period.

Should that prove to be the case, I have two smaller, white-metal ones, however, I suspect these might be ex-Rowlands Miniature Fowler BB engines, and I think these were only built from 1913! (oh, and presently I have no idea where they are!)

The cardboard Foden steam lorry is 1911, the Atkinson colonial 1924 and the AEC 'bus 1917.  I suspect the Aveling and Porter steam roller is 1920s!

post-25673-0-91313600-1465038641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad I'm not the only one to use modelling to try and stay sane... Although I find that sometimes you are dragged too low even to think about this....

Anyway, back to ploughing engines and contractors. If you haven't read it already, I suggest you get hold of a copy of 'Landscape with Machines' by LTC Rolt. Apart from the fact that it is a very interesting read, he worked at an agricultural contractors in the 20's and 30's (ok a little out of your time frame) but described the goings on, and the engines that they used (including quite elderly ones).

Try and get the green covered binding (and the other two are 'Landscape with Canals' and 'Landscape with figures'). Don't buy the combined volume as it is missing lots of photos...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

For the really brassic modeller I would suggest looking at Jim Reeds website http://www.jasread.com/micro/index.html. Jim used to have some threads on here very useful including a video of the loco made from card. But sadly these have gone I presume some faling out. His wagons are printed drawings from the computer stuck onto card. Very little had to be bought in. Cardboard is often free or fairly cheap. I know Jim works in 0 gauge but the same principles can be applied to 00. Yes it takes time but it can also be satisfying.

Don