14 hours ago, Regularity said:

No English words actually begin with “gh” sounding like an f, though, and “ti” is only “sh” as part of “-tion”, so sadly so that doesn’t actually work.

Our spelling isn’t completely haphazard, although we do manage to have about 100 ways of representing 46 distinct sounds...

GHOTI was not one of GBS's better conceits – for all the reasons you name. As if there weren't enough elephant traps in the English language...

1 hour ago, AVS1998 said:

Afternoon all!

I realise this is rather unrelated to what goes before, but I felt I ought to share it with you - PDF'd etiquette guides from the Mid Victorian era through to the 1920s (the majority of which, presumably, can be applied to the thirties, also). 

Given how well-mannered the residents of Castle Aching tend to be, I am quite sure none of us need to study such texts, but for the social academics among us... 

https://smileandgun.wordpress.com/2016/01/20/etiquette-guides-from-the-1920s-and-beyond/

I liked the guide to winking and blinking at the top of the blog, there was also a "language" of postal stamps.  An innocuous message on the postcard perhaps, but the angle and placement of the stamp spoke volumes...  I've a list somewhere!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Well perhaps if someone can find a connection between Slough and Staines then perhaps that might be a smooth flowing drain (or ditch). 

Great Western to Windsor, which does take you across the local ditch or drain, then a short walk to Riverside station for the South Western to Staines. I did go that way once or twice in my commuting days, when the South Western was thoroughly dislocated, tickets being valid by any reasonable route.

• Like 1

Cycleway, largely dead flat and along the river bank, takes between half and three quarters of an hour, depending upon number of dog-walkers, who also use it.

There is another, slightly longer, cycleway that has no busy road sections at all, but takes getting on for an hour and is less scenic.

Oh, and another almost entirely traffic-free route that goes across Windsor Great Park, but is hillier.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

... The last way, you get to see the world’s most twee village shop https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1967134

so now for something completely dif...

... yes, I'm still trapped within uncanny pyramidic forces, the weird BIWF, and last year’s ‘Mr. O’Doolite Changes Trains’ novel fragments (for which, K, you must accept responsibility) 

BIWF.jpg.97afb417a40360caaf2d244d089eee72.jpg

If someone can pen the spiffing yarn that entrains these images CA will surely profit from  a new 'Da Vinci Code' Best Seller

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, presumably that's a Jellicoe Special making its way up Shap behind a Webb 4-cylinder compound eight-coupled - Class B. I believe by the Great War the banking engine would most likely have been a 4-6-2T "Superheater Tank" of which Tebay had several. Since the remaining photos are of low-roofed structures, I'm struggling to make a satisfactory connection...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, runs as required said:

If someone can pen the spiffing yarn that entrains these images CA will surely profit from  a new 'Da Vinci Code' Best Seller 

Lets see.....

British Israelites in Malawi

Their Headquarters in Bishop Auckland

Dodgy goings on in the south of Ireland

The British Fleet at Scapa Flow

Mysterious happenings at Paultry Circus

MY BRAIN HURTS!!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Afternoon all!

I realise this is rather unrelated to what goes before, but I felt I ought to share it with you - PDF'd etiquette guides from the Mid Victorian era through to the 1920s (the majority of which, presumably, can be applied to the thirties, also). 

Given how well-mannered the residents of Castle Aching tend to be, I am quite sure none of us need to study such texts, but for the social academics among us... 

https://smileandgun.wordpress.com/2016/01/20/etiquette-guides-from-the-1920s-and-beyond/

I'm sorry but that was so confusing I went cross-eyed reading it. What does that mean in terms of eye etiquette? :chok_mini:

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Lets see.....

British Israelites in Malawi

Their Headquarters in Bishop Auckland

Dodgy goings on in the south of Ireland

The British Fleet at Scapa Flow

Mysterious happenings at Paultry Circus

MY BRAIN HURTS!!!

I used to have that problem, then I stopped wearing a hat that was two sizes too small. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

It’s one of I think two “docks engines”, fitted with condensing gear. It survived surprisingly long ...... if you google ‘LSWR docks locomotive’ and then ignore the B4s, you should get to see the load of old crocks they had in C19th, plus the delightful “Nellie” tanks.

Here’s a starter for ten: https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/51/Shanks.htm

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Annie said:

royal(after1892)pier_old6.jpg

Southampton Royal Pier Station post 1892.  The engine in charge of the train of coaches absolutely fascinates me.  Any ideas as to what it is?

Shanks 0-4-0, Cowes.

Delivered 1877. She was sold in 1915 to a colliery near Haltwhistle (Northumberland). She had a sister engine, Southampton. She had 3' dia. wheels and a w/b of 5'6".

Alexander Shanks was an engineering concern in Arbroath, focused mainly on agricultural equipment, marine engines, bridges and lawnmowers: Graces Guide A Shanks

Technically a tram engine (though no skirts were worn or required), they were limited to 5 mph, were required to have condensing equipment, were equipped with bells and were to display red flags when crossing public road.

The service did allow carriages to be worked from London to the pier, which commended it to passengers.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2019 at 20:30, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Well perhaps if someone can find a connection between Slough and Staines then perhaps that might be a smooth flowing drain (or ditch). 

Easy, for pre-groupers anyway. Just change at West Drayton.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Annie said:

royal(after1892)pier_old6.jpg

Southampton Royal Pier Station post 1892.  The engine in charge of the train of coaches absolutely fascinates me.  Any ideas as to what it is?

No, but I rather like the name of the mineral water purveyors.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

It’s one of I think two “docks engines”, fitted with condensing gear. It survived surprisingly long ...... if you google ‘LSWR docks locomotive’ and then ignore the B4s, you should get to see the load of old crocks they had in C19th, plus the delightful “Nellie” tanks.

Here’s a starter for ten: https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/51/Shanks.htm

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Shanks 0-4-0, Cowes.

Delivered 1877. She was sold in 1915 to a colliery near Haltwhistle (Northumberland). She had a sister engine, Southampton. She had 3' dia. wheels and a w/b of 5'6".

Alexander Shanks was an engineering concern in Arbroath, focused mainly on agricultural equipment, marine engines, bridges and lawnmowers: Graces Guide A Shanks

Technically a tram engine (though no skirts were worn or required), they were limited to 5 mph, were required to have condensing equipment, were equipped with bells and were to display red flags when crossing public road.

The service did allow carriages to be worked from London to the pier, which commended it to passengers.

Thanks very much for the information.  What an amazing little engine it was with all its pipes and that unusual cab.  A small handful of Shanks locomotives worked here in New Zealand in the early days of our railways, but they were much more ordinary .saddle tanks.

070000x-170828-s-lswr-109-southampton-us

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

That’s ‘southampton’, below is ‘cowes’.

they are the only locos I’ve seen pictures of that have lift-up cab roofs.

D5C59901-1EB7-43AF-A384-1E596BA2EC81.jpeg

No, that's Ritzebuttel of 1879.

Cowes (No.108) and Southampton (No.109) had flat top saddle tanks.

8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Shanks 0-4-0, Cowes.

I have a file of industrial locos that gives the plenmeller colliery 'Cowes' as black hawthorn 116/1870, ex IWCR no. 3.

Is one of those IDs wrong?

ISLE OF WIGHT CENTRAL RAILWAY - No.3 MILL HILL - 0-4-2ST - built 1870 by Black Hawthorn & Co., Works No.116 - 02/18 withdrawn.

Edit: found origin of said list:

The contractors locos file from the industrial locomotive society. Can be acquired from here:

https://www.industrial-loco.org.uk/downloads.html

Edited by brack
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

30 minutes ago, brack said:

I have a file of industrial locos that gives the plenmeller colliery 'Cowes' as black hawthorn 116/1870, ex IWCR no. 3.

Is one of those IDs wrong?

ISLE OF WIGHT CENTRAL RAILWAY - No.3 MILL HILL - 0-4-2ST - built 1870 by Black Hawthorn & Co., Works No.116 - 02/18 withdrawn.

Interesting.  that was the buyer noted by Bradley, presumably based on LSWR records.

• Thanks 1