56 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

Just found a topically repurposed selection of railway posters. All post-grouping I'm afraid, but this one exhibited here so that one of the usual Aching denizens can ply their magic on something from the right era

Looks more like the Lake District, but the sentiment would be the same. 

Of course, if it were Wales, the original 'ticement would be "Wales: Not Always Raining!"

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Looks more like the Lake District, but the sentiment would be the same. 

Of course, if it were Wales, the original 'ticement would be "Wales: Not Always Raining!"

Or, for those of us of a certain age, "Come home to a real fire" etc.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Or, for those of us of a certain age, "Come home to a real fire" etc.

They came across the river and were setting fire to local estate agents here....

As they say "Creosote A Gummybear!"

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

They came across the river and were setting fire to local estate agents here....

Unfortunately I could not find the Not the Nine O'Clock News sketch "Come Home to a Real Fire, Buy a Cottage in Wales".

So, we'll have to make do with ....

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder how long though before some residents of the principalities decide the best way to keep city folk from travelling to their holidays homes during the crisis is burn them all down.

49 minutes ago, Annie said:

I do wonder how long though before some residents of the principalities decide the best way to keep city folk from travelling to their holidays homes during the crisis is burn them all down.

Reports of an invasion of Cornwall via the A30 this weekend shows some evidence of selfish idiocy on a reasonably extensive scale. 

Mind you, that report comes from my sister in-law, who married a man who, having passed through Britannia Royal Naval College, decided that they and their friends could live in the south west, but no one else is allowed to.

Visits to the South Hams in later years, though enjoyable, failed to hold the magic of my childhood holidays there, so in my mature years I find myself much more at home in my Northern Fastness than amid the plump hills of Devon.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Just before the lockdown there was reports of large numbers of caravans heading to the south west. I jokingly suggested we tie a rope round them to stop them getting out. I am not sure everyone thought I was joking. The best answer is for the police to confine them to the campsites.

When we first moved to Brixham one or two did say things about locals so I mentioned Marion's grandfather and generations before had all been born and worked in brixham he only moved away because of the war. That shut them up as most although born there had parents who were not local born.  The other thing I can point out that having been born in Lambeth there are probably more incomers there than in any of these places.

The best way to be accepted by locals in to become involved in the community. When moving out to the Wenlock Edge we bought a run down cottage needing a lot of work. I took a job as a local postman as he gave time to work on the house. In next to no time I was known to someone in the majority of households in the district. 

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

A lot of which are shut!

apparantly one of them opened up especially for the  weekend before the lockdown when not travelling away was only advisory. Locals were not too pleased.

Don

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Donw said:

apparantly one of them opened up especially for the  weekend before the lockdown when not travelling away was only advisory. Locals were not too pleased.

That was the w/e I collected No. 1 Son from Durham. You've reminded me that, coming back on the Saturday evening down the A34 towards Oxford, I found I had more difficulty than I was expecting passing a caravan of three newish-looking caravans - they were cruising at 70 mph (60 mph is the limit towing on a dual carriageway, I believe). I did eventually overtake them on the 50 mph stretch through Oxford, where they got stuck behind someone doing 45 mph. The drivers were not your typical caravaners: all youngish men. None of the three cars had extended wing mirrors, so there was no way they could see behind - which didn't stop them pulling out to overtake slower-moving traffic. Evidently the caravans had been obtained at short notice with a view to self-isolation...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

10 pages in 6 days.

Cabin fever is biting deep.....

Indeed. I back-dated my lovely Hornby post-WW2 Star 4013 to something akin to pre-WW1 or 1920s to better suit the thread's unwavering discipline on matters of relevance, but am unsure when garter crests were added or removed from tender sides.

4013_star_portrait30_1920s_2a_r1800.jpg.916f0875350db0b8579f6c42d8ca87f8.jpg

hard to find time ....    but I confess I find lockdown easy since I spend 80% of my life in or on a bed  ah the complexities!

What are all these small engines doing in various posts when every boy and girl knows that it's only the big fast ones like the above which appeal...  Still, there's no accounting for taste, especially considering I'm SR through and through at heart. Also, what a pity Castle Aching didn't have 1,400-tom Garratt-hauled trains.

and what a strange Easter day... silent deserted streets. I love the silence, but feel sorry for the people whose livelihoods have gone.

Edited by robmcg
typos, addition.
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

10 pages in 6 days.

Cabin fever is biting deep.....

I don't know!  My life hasn't changed that much enough to be problematical, being retired for quite a while now we've been 'self isolated', don't go out much anyway and have enough interests at home to prevent boredom.  We don't get up with the birds, I make the breakfast, and read the paper.  Coffee time arrives and check EMs RMC, get ready to make lunch and its my time till afternoon tea.  Next comes dinner and after all is put away, flop out in front of the TV!  In between time there are the trains, I play the organ which is enjoyable and a lot of books to read over again.  Trips to the store are on an as needed basis, otherwise they are delivered.  We have a large garden and two decks to enjoy the outside and now that Spring is here, we shall be making more use of the warmer weather.

So can't say we suffer from cabin fever and we make the most out of what is available to us within our home.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

1927 the garters gave way to twin shields

I'm also curious about front bogie brake removal. 1918-on?

edit; Good Lord next I'll be curious about K&ESR liveries. This will never do.

Edited by robmcg
  • Funny 1

On 10/04/2020 at 21:27, teaky said:

Once mower unto the breach, dear friends, once mower; or close the wall up with ar English jed.  In peace there's nothen so becums a geezer as modest stillness an' humility: but when the blus of war blows in ar eass, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage; then lend the eye a terrible aspect; let pry through the portage of the yed like the brass cannon; let the broo o'erwhelm it as fearfully as doth a galled rock o'erhang an' jutty his confounded base.  Swill'd with the wild an' wasteful ocane.  Noo set the teeth an' stretch the nostril wide, hold sound the breath an' bend up every spirit to his full heoight.  On, on, yaouw noblest English.  Whose blood is fet frum fathers of war-proof!  Fathers that, loike so many Alexanders, have in these parts frum morn till even fought an' sheathed their swords fer lack of argument: dishonour not yaw mothers; noo attest that those whom yaouw call'd fathers did beget yaouw.  Be copy noo ter men of grosser blood, an' teach them 'oo ter war.  An' yaouw, bostin yeoman, whose limbs were med in Englan', shoo us eya the mettle of yaw pasture; let us swear that yoo miskin worth yaw breeding; weege I doubt not; for the'er is nariun of yaouw so mane an' base, that hath not noble lustre in yaw eyes.  I see yaouw stond loike greyhounds in the slips, strainen upon the start.  The game's afoot: folloo yaw spirit, an' upon this charge cry 'god fer Harry, Englan', an' Saint George.

Back in the early 1950s, I sat my ‘0’ levels.  Henry 5th was included in the English literature studies.

isee now why I failed.  I actually wrote my answers in the Yorkshire dialect.  Silly me should have learned Brummy.

Derek

• Like 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I'm also curious about front bogie brake removal. 1918-on?

edit; Good Lord next I'll be curious about K&ESR liveries. This will never do.

From November 1923. 

8 minutes ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Back in the early 1950s, I sat my ‘0’ levels.  Henry 5th was included in the English literature studies.

isee now why I failed.  I actually wrote my answers in the Yorkshire dialect.  Silly me should have learned Brummy.

Derek

Heard a good one today, via my daughter; "Tin tin tin", which is Yorkshire for "it isn't in the tin".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

I don't know how much I agree with that, sometimes it does more harm than good. When we first moved to Leeds,  my Mum got involved with the Parent-Teacher's organisation at our primary school, became a parish councillor, helped out at youth groups, and, toward our last two years in that village, became highly ostracised by almost everyone we knew. She was assaulted unprovoked at least three times on our doorstep, accused of all sorts of things. 

Her suggestions to improve the village, which had taken an enormous dive in the late 90s due to the closure of the coal pit, closure of one of the pubs, the post office, having no real social areas for young people, were all refused and pushed back and pushed back by 'preservationists' and older fuddy-duddies on the parish board who didn't want to see changes that would alter the village as 'they' knew it. 

No sooner did we leave that awful place, did they start implementing Mum's suggestions when other people put them forward. Idiotic suggestions from others, like replacing all the lamp posts down the main road (the old A1) with 'pretty' lamp posts that wouldn't match the industrial history of the village whatsoever. The recreation ground saw a refurbishment, with a new, country-famed skate park. Mum suggested something similar. School clubs that she'd suggested - GENTLY - at meetings? Put in place after we three finished school there and we'd moved. 

Now how much of this is attributable to a small-village, ''you're not local and not related to one of the two families that make up its genetic pool'', playground mother with nothing better to do than gossip and bully, mindset, I can't say for sure, but certainly I'd say that trying to get involved in the community, not being bolshy about it, making gentle suggestions and having the first original idea since the shock of swapping gas to electric lighting in the streets, can definitely bite you in the ars* and isn't always worth your time.

Sorry if this gets up anyone's nose, it's just something that's always bothered me, that this notion of social participation is the key to winning over the natives. It doesn't always work out that way. 

Unfortunate that, I suspect certain individuals liked to be the people putting ideas forward. Those people often find others with good ideas especially annoying,  As an incomer you need to bide your time until you become accepted.

I have heard people complain of a model railway club being unfriendly, but when you speak to them it is their expectations that were unrealistic. I always say sweeping up at the end making tea or washing up are good ways to get off to a good start with a club. It brings you to the notice of the people who keep the club going. 

Boards and committees are a minefield  and a lot of good ideas can get buried in them.  I used to run project meetings and I would have no truck with points of order or rigid agendas. If someone had something to say I wanted to hear it. It might be nothing but it could be vital. 

Don 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

From November 1923. 

ok here's a pre-1923 version...   I confess to liking the wartime livery also shown with ex-trainpack 4050.

My liking for these models is heightened by the savaging these models got in 2013-14  post Sanda Kan production when it was a miracle that Hornby managed to produce anything at all. The criticism? A solid handrail on the cab...

4013_star_portrait30_1920s_3a_r1800.jpg.afc73a525594930228860254ed2875e2.jpg

4050_GWR_Star_portrait25_2abcd_r1800.jpg.b54badfe12220d445c7e40e699181608.jpg

• Like 5

I clearly had a bad case of fat finger or impatience with a page loading slowly as I inadvertently un-followed CA.  Withdrawal symptoms swiftly led to me tracking you all down and spending a pleasant hour in your company (or following links) catching up.  I hope our host is not notified of such transgressions as un-following.  I believe CA has something of the Catholic Church, once you're baptised, that's it, there's no way out (except in Australia). 

Hello, Derek, nice to see you popping up again on here.

There is of course Happisburgh (the MRC 0 Gauge offering) a day-trip for Achingers wishing to dip their toes in the Arctic Ocean.

On the shopping front, our medium-sized Tesco has the spacing lines, blocked shortcuts and the floor arrows, along with lovely staff and patient customers.  Of course I am not sufficiently organised to look at my list until it's too late and have to ask for dispensation to repeat some aisles.  The ones I need require me to walk up pet food and bin liners, do a U-turn in front of the porridge and then trudge round again, concentrating this time.  No flour of any kind, but my toilet paper stash (pre-panic discounts - honest) remains sufficient.  

Due to a change in regulations, you can now buy combined bidet-toilets in the UK.  A little pipe inset in the rim delivers a useful squirt.  If your pipes are not well-lagged you certainly get woken up on a winter's morning.

Alan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

Indeed. I back-dated my lovely Hornby post-WW2 Star 4013 to something akin to pre-WW1 or 1920s to better suit the thread's unwavering discipline on matters of relevance, but am unsure when garter crests were added or removed from tender sides.

4013_star_portrait30_1920s_2a_r1800.jpg.916f0875350db0b8579f6c42d8ca87f8.jpg

hard to find time ....    but I confess I find lockdown easy since I spend 80% of my life in or on a bed  ah the complexities!

What are all these small engines doing in various posts when every boy and girl knows that it's only the big fast ones like the above which appeal...  Still, there's no accounting for taste, especially considering I'm SR through and through at heart. Also, what a pity Castle Aching didn't have 1,400-tom Garratt-hauled trains.

and what a strange Easter day... silent deserted streets. I love the silence, but feel sorry for the people whose livelihoods have gone.

As a boy GWR 4-6-0s were two a penny through Reading Station  and stopping services were largely in the hands of diesel  multi units so to me coming across lesser beasts grabbed my attention.  I think our host too has a liking for railway oddities. 

Don

• Like 2