34 minutes ago, Annie said:

One must wonder if: -

A: Your neighbours' surname is 'Gibbons'.

B:  You really do have gibbons next door.

C:  You are being disparaging towards out of town visitors to Minehead, 

Interesting, I had thought the post indicated Minehead's decline and fall.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Its a mutant language - they can't even decide on Cymru vs Gymru....

It must be nice to live next door to a colony of singers!

Wow!  Page 11

Or page 1763, or page 03F3.

It depends on how you look at it...:jester:

Sorry if I'm being thick, but did you say the Gesualdo Six?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

9 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Or Wales where the natives speak a language in which every letter is a vowel to be pronounced as the speaker alone sees fit. 

Its a mutant language - they can't even decide on Cymru vs Gymru....

As it happens Welsh has very clear immutable phonetics, and the way words change is completely logical and bound by rules.

The English, being a mongrel race with a mongrel language however are a different thing altogether as their spelling mutates randomly:

Ghoughpteighbteau, pronounced potato

P as in hiccough, O as in though, T as in ptomaine, A as in neigh, T as in debt, O as in beureau

Ghoti and tchoghs, pronounced fish and chips

F as in cough, I as in women, SH as in nation, CH as in match, I as in women, P as in hiccough

and their rules are rubbish, what for instance is the point of learning "i before e except after c" at school, then writing the following words:

eight, forfeit, height, neighbour, seize, vein, weight, ancient, fancies, science, society deficient, conscience and so on

So best not to get too uppity about your linguistic superiority before checking.

Grumpy? moi? just had some crap news. Now can we get back to railways and the bizarre economics, politics and society of the fold in Norfolk?

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Sorry if I'm being thick, but did you say the Gesualdo Six?

They trained with the Temperance Seven

(of whom there were 9)

So, time for some trams, apparently filmed at Crich (I've never been) in sepia.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

As it happens Welsh has very clear immutable phonetics, and the way words change is completely logical and bound by rules.

The English, being a mongrel race with a mongrel language however are a different thing altogether as their spelling mutates randomly:

P as in hiccough, O as in though, T as in ptomaine, A as in neigh, T as in debt, O as in beureau

F as in cough, I as in women, SH as in nation, CH as in match, I as in women, P as in hiccough

and their rules are rubbish, what for instance is the point of learning "i before e except after c" at school, then writing the following words:

eight, forfeit, height, neighbour, seize, vein, weight, ancient, fancies, science, society deficient, conscience and so on

So best not to get too uppity about your linguistic superiority before checking.

Grumpy? moi? just had some crap news. Now can we get back to railways and the bizarre economics, politics and society of the fold in Norfolk?

Hmm in defence of the mother tongue I humbly suggest that there is a certain consistency in inconsistency so long as its inconsistency is consistent. -_-

And to ensure matters return to normal my friend Bronwen will keep an eye open for any deviance from digression. It may be seen from that what happened to the sixth Gesualdo.  

Clytemnestra_by_John_Collier,_1882.jpg

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Annie said:

One must wonder if: -

A: Your neighbours' surname is 'Gibbons'.

B:  You really do have gibbons next door.

C:  You are being disparaging towards out of town visitors to Minehead, 

B not quite next door but about a quarter of a mile away  across the valley.

Don

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

As it happens Welsh has very clear immutable phonetics, and the way words change is completely logical and bound by rules.Spel

Welsh can be very difficult to learn later in life. Hear Rhod Gilbert on mutation.  As for the pronounciation the Welsh never agree about the exact pronounciation and certainly there is a distiction between North, West and South Welsh speakers.  That said I wish I could speak it.

English on the other had has no rules as there are always exceptions. You only have to read Teaky's regional versions of Shakespear to realise the latitude that is allowed in English. Spelling of course is a nonsense I am sure it is a peculiar cruelty of teachers to teach rules and then trip you up with exceptions. I do think it is easier to get yourself understood in English than most languages. It is also easier for those who consider themselves superior to look down their nose at others who speak differently.

I think it is unlikely for Welsh to become widely used beyond its borders whereas English has been widely adopted and locally mangled all over the world. Its very lack of discipline may be a major factor.

Don

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, webbcompound said:

The 'i before e' rule is nearly perfect, PROVIDED it's quoted in full - 'i before e, except after c, when the sound is EE'. That works almost all the time (and I think the exceptions, which I can't immediately recall, are all loan words from other languages). 'Seize' is a funny one, but I believe its from Middle French and was spelt (and presumably pronounced) 'saize'. 'Forfeit', similarly, used to be spelt 'forfait' - and I think still is in some legal context about which Edwardian may be able to advise us for the traditional six and eightpence consideration.

Since I'm posting, just to scroll back a few pages and the false attribution of Stonehenge et al to the Celts and Druids. In fairness to the Victorians, this goes back a lot further - certainly to Stukeley in C18, and possibly to Aubrey and even Camden. Similarly, the bogus Scottish stuff is by definition Georgian (George IV) not Victorian. The Victorians were less about inventing spurious myths, and more about turning them into viable tourist industries. Had Tennyson been born a little further south and east, and/or had he majored in Boudiccan rather than Arthurian legend, the history and prosperity of the West Norfolk railways might have been very different. The crack express, the 'Iceni Limited' - non stop to Camulodunum and then on to Liverpool Street, laid on by the GER, would of course have competed with the GNR's 'The Boadicean', departing from Boudicca's traditional burial site at Kings Cross. The residents of Castle Aching thus treated to the near simultaneous departure of both green and blue singles. 

Must stop - I can feel some curious symptoms coming on.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, lanchester said:

The 'i before e' rule is nearly perfect, PROVIDED it's quoted in full - 'i before e, except after c, when the sound is EE'. That works almost all the time (and I think the exceptions, which I can't immediately recall, are all loan words from other languages). 'Seize' is a funny one, but I believe its from Middle French and was spelt (and presumably pronounced) 'saize'. 'Forfeit', similarly, used to be spelt 'forfait' - and I think still is in some legal context about which Edwardian may be able to advise us for the traditional six and eightpence consideration.

Since I'm posting, just to scroll back a few pages and the false attribution of Stonehenge et al to the Celts and Druids. In fairness to the Victorians, this goes back a lot further - certainly to Stukeley in C18, and possibly to Aubrey and even Camden. Similarly, the bogus Scottish stuff is by definition Georgian (George IV) not Victorian. The Victorians were less about inventing spurious myths, and more about turning them into viable tourist industries. Had Tennyson been born a little further south and east, and/or had he majored in Boudiccan rather than Arthurian legend, the history and prosperity of the West Norfolk railways might have been very different. The crack express, the 'Iceni Limited' - non stop to Camulodunum and then on to Liverpool Street, laid on by the GER, would of course have competed with the GNR's 'The Boadicean', departing from Boudicca's traditional burial site at Kings Cross. The residents of Castle Aching thus treated to the near simultaneous departure of both green and blue singles. 

Must stop - I can feel some curious symptoms coming on.

One day, if we model one of the larger stations, we may well see the near simultaneous departure of both green and blue singles!

You know, I nearly mentioned that George IV kicked this off -  fake historical revivals, from tartans to jousting, and I think in the invention of Scottish identity, Ossian is worth a mention.

It's just that the Victorians really went to town with this stuff.  There was, of course, much English myth-making, but that tended to be subsumed in establishing "British" identity.  Of course, that was a rather anglo-centric view of Britishness (or a Britannic view of Englishness "They'll always be an England ... red, white and blue, what does it mean to you?"), which in itself makes the case for reviving interest in distinct Welsh, Irish, Scottish history/culture/myth.

Sadly, today, RIP Stirling Moss and Tim Brooke Taylor.

902258459_download(1).jpeg.3c354a1572cefe3f784628d781ee4792.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

Oh no, I hadn't heard that. Very sad. Mind you, Sir Stirling had a pretty good innings.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Clytemnestra_by_John_Collier,_1882.jpg

NEXT!

or

Never get on the wrong side of a woman with a labrys.....

25 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Stirling Moss was "a long illness", Tim Brooke Taylor was covid-19.

In other news, BoJo has been discharged from hospital, but will not yet be returning to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, webbcompound said:

P as in hiccough

Etc.

Find me an example with “gh” pronounced as “p” at the beginning of the word. The “f” of gh (e.g. in enough) also doesn’t mean that “ghoti” is a spelling of “fish”.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, teaky said:

Like this, you mean Derek?

Once mooar untoa t' breach, eh up friends, once more; or close t' wall up wi' wee English dead.  In peace ther's nowt sa becomes eur bloke as modest stillness 'n 'umility: but when t' blast o' war blows i' wee ears, then imitate t' action o' t' tiger; stiffen t' sinews, summon up t' blood, disguise jannock nature wi' 'ard-favour'd rage; then len' t' eye eur terrible aspect; let pry thru t' portage o' t' noggin li' t' brass cannon; let t' bra o'erwhelm it as fearfully as doth eur galled rock o'erhang 'n jutty 'is confounded base, swill'd wi' t' wild 'n wasteful ocean.  Na set t' teeth 'n stretch t' nostril wide, howd 'ard t' breyth 'n ben' up everee spirit toa 'is full 'eeight. on, on, theur noblest English. whose blood is fet fra fathers o' war-proof! fathers 'a', li' sa menny Alexanders, hev i' these parts fra morn while even fought an' sheythed thea swords for lack o' argument: dishonour not thy mothers; naw attest tha' those wha theur call'd fathers did beget theur.  Be copy naw ta men o' grossa blood, an' lern 'em 'a ta war. 'n theur, gran' yeoman, whose limbs wor made i' Englan', sha wee 'ere the mettle o' thy pasture; let wee swear tha' theur are worth thy breeding; which ah doubt not; for ther's none o' theur sa mean 'n base, tha' 'ath not noble lustre i' thy een.  I sithee stan' li' greyhounds int' slips, strainin upon t' start. t' game's afoot: folla thy spirit, 'n upon dis charge cry 'god for wee Harry, Englan', 'n Saint George!

By ‘eck thats champion. Tha’s just abart reet..

Derek

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooooooo I need to find a copy of that book.

Nice work with that brake third James.  Gosh I can remember doing that kind of thing, tricky and painstaking, but oh so very satisfying.  Almost a lost art in these days of etched kits, laser cutting and 3d printing.  A lot easier to do in 'O' gauge though.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Annie said:

Ooooooo I need to find a copy of that book.

Nice work with that brake third James.  Gosh I can remember doing that kind of thing, tricky and painstaking, but oh so very satisfying.  Almost a lost art in these days of etched kits, laser cutting and 3d printing.  A lot easier to do in 'O' gauge though.

And in brass, too.A095DCE3-F34C-4407-9FEF-9F1CC569D3B3.jpeg.363aa9eb5243153dacb0d39173fd6745.jpeg

• Like 10