Regarding the 4 recently uploaded wagons, I've been talking in PM to @Compound2632 who's very kindly spent considerable time unearthing some extra information.  Based on that, with these two....

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PKHMJEJA7/4mm-mr-d305-3-plank-open?optionId=157552067&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N5QUSPGSZ/4mm-mr-d299-5-plank-open?optionId=157552069&li=shops

I've added the following notes to the descriptions:

Notes: These 4mm ones have been altered slightly from the initial CADs in that the number plates always appear on the right hand side as you observe the wagon.  Some details had to be thickened slightly or left out entirely due to 3D printing tolerances and design choices of over-scale visibility when the commission was taking place. 
Also some of the inside bolts that would be countersunk have been made as protrusions so there is at least some representation of visibility, feel free to file them off.
Normal concessions although feel free to view the CAD in the 3D viewer, top right of the images.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Unfortunately not Pregrouping (or even LNER) but parishioners may be interested in a blog post about "The Fenman", the Hunstanton to Liverpool Street and return express - https://spatialsynergydave.wordpress.com/2020/04/15/the-fenman-hunstantons-named-train/

I would point out that the Fenman outside the station, referred to in the blog, was renamed around twenty years ago.

Prior to that it was named "The Greyfriars" after one of the monastic orders present in the town during the Medieval period.

It is a popular spot for the football crowd after the game has finished whilst waiiting for a train home.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Sadly Rob I think you will need to do a lot more than the script.

Wheelbase:  usually wrong

Chassis construction: Steel and should be wood

Brakes:  Just plain wrong

Buffers: generic and far too beefy for most wagons of the period

Keeper plates, axle boxes …..   well you get the picture - or at least with a great deal of work you might be able to construct a picture.

Indeed. But it is a worthy subject, as in contributions by Hroth, Annie, our Edwardian Master, and other esteemed gentlefolk..

For myself I currently find solace in changing garish white handrails on GWR model Stars to shiny black or grey. Or something which looks like the handrails on real engines ....  People will gasp at the artistry.  Or maybe never know... :)

Beethoven is playing, so I thought I could show the results of my endeavours, wrong tender emblem notwithstanding...

(there's alway something... ! )

4003_star_portrait10_6a_r1800.jpg.ce754452d782bf6fb11fe1d60ad15a2d.jpg

I think I will concoct a pre-WW1 Saint.  It keeps me off the streets.  Cheers

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hmm...

I'm trying to expand my '1900s British' playlist to include more than just a couple of Elgar albums - Any recommendations?

Or anything 1900 - 1940, really. I'm well covered from the '20s, but I've found myself listening to 1910s stuff a lot more recently, compared with my usual 1920s-1950s tastes (in music, though also in dress).

15 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Hmm...

I'm trying to expand my '1900s British' playlist to include more than just a couple of Elgar albums - Any recommendations?

Or anything 1900 - 1940, really. I'm well covered from the '20s, but I've found myself listening to 1910s stuff a lot more recently, compared with my usual 1920s-1950s tastes (in music, though also in dress).

Ralph Vaughan Williams? -

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Funny you should mention him - I've just been adding some of his earlier stuff in. I have a plethora of it elsewhere in the virtual music collection, but none in this particular list until now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sem34090 said:

Funny you should mention him - I've just been adding some of his earlier stuff in. I have a plethora of it elsewhere in the virtual music collection, but none in this particular list until now.

I'm assuming that you have Elgar's Cello concerto with Jacqueline Du Pre.   

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I think so...

I just listen to this stuff. xD If it was all in analogue format I'd be able to tell you for sure, I expect.

Here you are - the conductor is Sir John Barbirolli and it sets the benchmark.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

It certainly sounds decidedly familiar (so far, bearing in mind I've only listened to a couple of minutes currently) ...

This will teach me to not make a mental note of what I listen to before asking for recommendations!

3 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

It certainly sounds decidedly familiar (so far, bearing in mind I've only listened to a couple of minutes currently) ...

This will teach me to not make a mental note of what I listen to before asking for recommendations!

Dame Janet Baker - Barbirolli conducting, Elgar's Sea Pictures 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I first heard the Du Pre recording as a child, lying on the backseat of our car, as we drove through the Cotswolds, with me looking up at the dark, leafless trees against the evening sky.  A moment that has always stayed with me.  It is the performance, and I cherish that Barbirolli album for both that recording of the 'cello concerto and Janet Baker's Sea Pictures. 

I also cherish my recording of Barbirolli conducting Elgar's 2nd symphony, which speaks of much trauma and anxiety felt at the passing of the Edwardian era.  It always reminds me of those lines of Yeats:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

On a lighter note, the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, IIRC, recorded an album of Elgar's "miniatures", various short orchestral pieces that are quite charming.

For Vaughn Williams, I am haunted by the Fantasia.  First performed in 1910 at Gloucester Cathedral at the Three Choirs Festival, it must have blown the audience's minds, as they would not have heard anything like it.  

The Pastoral Symphony I love, and it has great poignancy.  An elegiac evocation of the British countryside by a man returning from the Great War, it is haunted by the lonely, distant bugle call ... 

Come to that, anything by George Butterworth, and there's not that much, as this brightest of British musical talents was cut short by the Great War, will do that for you. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Beautiful music!   but I warned you....

a very rough and quick bit of quite probably wrong in detail, but I feel the Churchward Saint is a great example of the times.

Thanks for the music, too.

2900_saint_portrait15_8abc_r1800.jpg.cd8ec48148ec11627a59d9baa0f1669c.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, robmcg said:

a very rough and quick bit of quite probably wrong in detail, but I feel the Churchward Saint is a great example of the times.

Very good!

Though perhaps you could lose the cab-side red route indicator?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I first heard the Du Pre recording as a child, lying on the backseat of our car, as we drove through the Cotswolds, with me looking up at the dark, leafless trees against the evening sky.  A moment that has always stayed with me.  It is the performance, and I cherish that Barbirolli album for both that recording of the 'cello concerto and Janet Baker's Sea Pictures. 

I also cherish my recording of Barbirolli conducting Elgar's 2nd symphony, which speaks of much trauma and anxiety felt at the passing of the Edwardian era.  It always reminds me of those lines of Yeats:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

On a lighter note, the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, IIRC, recorded an album of Elgar's "miniatures", various short orchestral pieces that are quite charming.

For Vaughn Williams, I am haunted by the Fantasia.  First performed in 1910 at Gloucester Cathedral at the Three Choirs Festival, it must have blown the audience's minds, as they would not have heard anything like it.  

The Pastoral Symphony I love, and it has great poignancy.  An elegiac evocation of the British countryside by a man returning from the Great War, it is haunted by the lonely, distant bugle call ... 

Come to that, anything by George Butterworth, and there's not that much, as this brightest of British musical talents was cut short by the Great War, will do that for you. 

Well here is George Butterworth's The Banks of Green Willow which I nearly added before. You're right about how much talent was lost in that madness.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Bijou snagette: the 'Saint' and 'Court' series, built with the drop frames as shown, had screw reverse rather than the lever reverse on your image. That applied to the early builds only though I was retained if they were rebuilt with drop frames, I think. Looks lovely otherwise!

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Hmm...

As with wagons, you need to take into account that at your target date, anything from the previous couple of decades would still be current. That includes plenty of first-rate Elgar, for starters, and Stanford - who was still writing major works in the early years of the 20th century. Then of course there's Hubert Parry, Arnold Bax, Ivor Gurney, John Ireland, Arthur Bliss, George Butterworth, Frank Bridge...

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

The death of Butterworth was a huge loss to English music. His setting of Housman's "A Shropshire Lad' is so much more atmospheric than Vaughan Williams's. 

Otherwise, I'd recommend you add almost anything by VW, Elgar (but only when he wasn't trying to suck up to the Establishment: Pomp & Circumstance is wretched), Holst, Bridge, even Smyth. Stanford's value was as a teacher rather than a composer, speaking as one who suffered his choral music in the school choir. As for Parry...

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, wagonman said:

Stanford's value was as a teacher rather than a composer, speaking as one who suffered his choral music in the school choir. As for Parry...

You're not saying you preferred hideous Howells, I hope?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, wagonman said:

The death of Butterworth was a huge loss to English music. His setting of Housman's "A Shropshire Lad' is so much more atmospheric than Vaughan Williams's. 

Otherwise, I'd recommend you add almost anything by VW, Elgar (but only when he wasn't trying to suck up to the Establishment: Pomp & Circumstance is wretched), Holst, Bridge, even Smyth. Stanford's value was as a teacher rather than a composer, speaking as one who suffered his choral music in the school choir. As for Parry...

To be fair Elgar personally lamented the usage to which the Pomp & Circumstance works were put. His Enigma Variations show his inherent lack of pomp, and his joy in music.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1