• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

At one time in Scotland alcohol could only be served on a Sunday to 'bona fide travellers'.  My father told me that the bus service between Hamilton and 'The Popinjay' at Rosebank, in the Clyde valley, was very busy of a Sunday, as was the bar in the hotel!  It was the first hotel on the route.

Jim

The Hawes Inn at South Queensferry was also popular with Edinburgh folk.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, rocor said:

Presumably this could have been circumvented by the cocktail bar expediently not serving any beer.

After a cricket match against a rather snooty Former Pupils' team in Edinburgh (exactly which one is academic...) I went to buy the drinks.

"Eleven pints please".

"We don't serve pints in the cocktail bar, sir".

"All right, I'll have 22 halves then".

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

When I worked in EM most of my wagons were built using Colin Waite etched aleguards which had compensation by rocking at one end. When I first tried 2mm they also had some Colin Waite etches. However I moved up to 0 gauge and didn't bother with compensation of wagons but I did weight  them.  I found adding weight made the most difference.  Having rejoined the 2mmSA I find the recommendation now is not to compensate wagons as due to their light weight the compensation doesn't work well.

Make of that what you will. I would suggest that from 4mm up weighting wagons is worthwhile as it improves their road holding in my experience particularly the lightweight plastic ones. 

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Donw said:

I would suggest that from 4mm up weighting wagons is worthwhile as it improves their road holding in my experience particularly the lightweight plastic ones. 

It twists them into submission.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

"All right, I'll have 22 halves then".

A group of student friends and I went into a pub in North Berwick after a round of golf.  "What'll it be then lads" said the barman.  "A pint and ten straws?"  Despite that remark we did stay and have a pint each!

Jim

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

A group of student friends and I went into a pub in North Berwick after a round of golf.  "What'll it be then lads" said the barman.  "A pint and ten straws?"  Despite that remark we did stay and have a pint each!

Did you not pass the straw round?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Did you not pass the straw round?

You don't normally have to pay for the straws.....    although it is noted that the event was North Berwick and therefore North of the Tweed, so it's entirely possible that a charge for the straws would be made.   

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

You don't normally have to pay for the straws.....    although it is noted that the event was North Berwick and therefore North of the Tweed, so it's entirely possible that a charge for the straws would be made.   

That's more likely north of the Tay.

What's the difference between going to visit friends in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen? :-

In Glasgow the greeting will be 'Oh! Come away in and have your tea!'

In Edinburgh it will be 'Come away in.  You'll have had your tea.'

In Aberdeen it's 'Come away in and have your tea.  We've a grand selection of sausage rolls, pies, scones and cakes.  All at verra reasonable prices!'

Jim

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

I went a couple of weeks ago, so no.  Hopefully before the 22nd I will have posted all my photos in the Gallery with a link from my thread.  It is just taking a while.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It's certainly a manufacturer I will avoid where possible in future, as it's proving quite a frustrating build.   

I must assume that you are unacquainted with the sheets of etched brass formerly sold as 'kits' by Jidenco...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Right, well I've booked to take my parents to Didcot on 22 May; 3 Edwardians and a dog. 

Any parishioners going?

Make sure you've got a roobar fitted if driving around there after sunset.

Almost hit 3 of them just outside Didcot on the road to Gooroolba when I was last up there.

And dont drink the XXXX.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

9 hours ago, CKPR said:

I must assume that you are unacquainted with the sheets of etched brass formerly sold as 'kits' by Jidenco...

I gave Chris Phillips one of their LSWR T1 kits to build. He may yet not have forgiven me. Certainly he announced the wish to retire from kit building!

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Make sure you've got a roobar fitted if driving around there after sunset.

Almost hit 3 of them just outside Didcot on the road to Gooroolba when I was last up there.

And dont drink the XXXX.

1495746574_Didcot(1).jpg.e0db29fec186b54785ecf4c3b1eafda6.jpg

Ah, Didcot, Queensland, population 60, noted for its heritage-listed cemetery, and formerly the dullest named station on the Mungar Junction to Monto Railway, that Didcot?

331124402_StateLibQld_2_255954_Steam_train_passes_over_the_completed_Deep_Creek_railway_bridge_Gayndah_district_1905.jpg.40026849c4bd9f776453ab286996ef9c.jpg

No, I'm going to this Didcot:

"The small, oddly shaped bit of card which a ticket inspector cuts out of a ticket with his clipper for no apparent reason", The Meaning of Liff, Douglas Adams and John Lloyd (1983).

And summed up by Wiki, thus:

''... known for the railway museum and power stations ... In January 2021 it was voted as being among the worst places to live in England.''

Didcot Wikipedia

Didcot.jpg.1221fa82343fcee5d3266cc10226fd19.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I gave Chris Phillips one of their LSWR T1 kits to build. He may yet not have forgiven me. Certainly he announced the wish to retire from kit building!

1495746574_Didcot(1).jpg.e0db29fec186b54785ecf4c3b1eafda6.jpg

Ah, Didcot, Queensland, population 60, noted for its heritage-listed cemetery, and formerly the dullest named station on the Mungar Junction to Monto Railway, that Didcot?

331124402_StateLibQld_2_255954_Steam_train_passes_over_the_completed_Deep_Creek_railway_bridge_Gayndah_district_1905.jpg.40026849c4bd9f776453ab286996ef9c.jpg

No, I'm going to this Didcot:

"The small, oddly shaped bit of card which a ticket inspector cuts out of a ticket with his clipper for no apparent reason", The Meaning of Liff, Douglas Adams and John Lloyd (1983).

And summed up by Wiki, thus:

''... known for the railway museum and power stations ... In January 2021 it was voted as being among the worst places to live in England.''

Didcot Wikipedia

Didcot.jpg.1221fa82343fcee5d3266cc10226fd19.jpg

Jeez, how do you choose?

If you go the Queensland option you do get to spend 2 weeks in quarantine watching Big Brother Australia though.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

What's WRONG with me?!?

Middle age and lockdown. I can sympathise - I failed to organise an entry for the Chairman's Cup at the Midland Railway Society AGM last Saturday - that pre-Lot 4-plank would have done nicely if I'd been bothered to finish it. My usual remedy for lethargy is to start another wagon kit, which is why I have so many not-quite-finished ones.

Getting out and about and doing something different may help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3