Thinking about the second of your chosen musical numbers, would it be permitted to coach small children to sing those lyrics these days? I've got a feeling that it might not.

And, perhaps Eliza Doolittle didn't marry Freddy, but married up, becoming Lady Erstwhile, which would explain her familiarity with "lovable cockney" routines and, perhaps, make her a former pal of Nancy.

Edit: the Lord of the Rings musical: brilliant! Can we have some more, please.

PS: just realised that in 'My Fair Lady', Freddy was played by Jeremy Brett, whose version of Holmes seems to me to be entirely suited to CA.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When I first read Lord of the Rings I was reading the bit in Moria with Floyd's Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun playing. Gloin's recital of the poem about Durin fitted nicely to the music. Fitted well with the Story but not quite your usual Musical stuff.

Don

• Like 4

When I first read Lord of the Rings I was reading the bit in Moria with Floyd's Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun playing. Gloin's recital of the poem about Durin fitted nicely to the music. Fitted well with the Story but not quite your usual Musical stuff.

Don

I'll have to try that.

Personally, I find this one hard to beat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc

• Like 1

One of my all time  favourite bit of music is from the films of Tolkiens books

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y_R7CBmDAE

I rather like the music from the old BBC Radio adaptation, with John Le Mesurier as Bilbo, Ian Holm as Frodo and Bill Nighy as Sam!

It was a nice link that Ian Holm played Frodo in the Jackson films.

• RMweb Gold

I rather like the music from the old BBC Radio adaptation, with John Le Mesurier as Bilbo, Ian Holm as Frodo and Bill Nighy as Sam!

It was a nice link that Ian Holm played Frodo in the Jackson films.

Mixing up your halflings there Edwardian.  Ian Holm played Bilbo.  A nice link nevertheless.

• RMweb Gold

The only extensions that I have ever seen photos of were of the wagon turntable for Dunrobin. When the first one was replaced with the new one, the turntable was extended by the expedient of just fitting longer rails, so that they overhung the end of the table by about 18".

Same as I said 24 hours ago...

• RMweb Gold

shurely  this is paradoxical advice ?

dh

Not really, or at least not quite.

There are plenty of individual stations which had a (usually) single oddity about them: Ashburton’s lack of a signal box, or at least proper interlocking; Wells on Sea’s goods shed at the back of the engine shed, accessed by a shed road generally only used overnight; Wells in Somerset with its adjoining stations, with the goods yard of one intersected by the main route of the other, etc.

The point is, it is possible to take some features on the “prototype for everything” example, plus invocation of rule 1, but to have them all mixed together on one layout in an attempt to cram a quart into a pint pot would produce a poor caricature of a railway, rather than a model railway or even a model of a railway. (Not the same thing!) To create a credible model railway requires knowledge of prototype practice, and an understanding of why and how exceptions arise. That’s quite a demanding requirement. Building a model of a real railway location might sometimes be easier!

The point is, it is possible to take some features on the “prototype for everything” example, plus invocation of rule 1, but to have them all mixed together on one layout in an attempt to cram a quart into a pint pot would produce a poor caricature of a railway, rather than a model railway or even a model of a railway. (Not the same thing!) To create a credible model railway requires knowledge of prototype practice, and an understanding of why and how exceptions arise. That’s quite a demanding requirement. Building a model of a real railway location might sometimes be easier!

Someone with a good knowledge of prototype practice, who is also a very good modeller, may well be able to create an entertaining, amusing and effective caricature by mixing them all together! Go on someone, give it a go ;).

I'm saving an entertaining bit of prototype for everything for my Cameo Competition entry. No one will believe it, as it defies logic, but I have a photo to prove it :).

• Like 1

SPADs wouldn't fit with CA.  They weren't introduced until 1916.

Well flying (well, hopping) a powered heavier than air aircraft had only been tried just over a year before CA is set.....

Of course, the aeroplane was not invented by the Wright brothers, but by a Yorkshireman in 1853.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Of course, the aeroplane was not invented by the Wright brothers, but by a Yorkshireman in 1853.

But he wanted to charge people to see it, and since it was being shown in Yorkshire, no one wanted to pay... ;)

(I should add that my wife is from Yorkshire, and she and her family are very generous.)

• Like 1

Not 3 or 4 trains a week, but usually two trains a day, some loading to 880 tonnes and some 2200 Tonnes.

They don't alf make the box shake!

Andy G

Thanks for the correction: I had no idea there was that much traffic. I had wondered about how much it cost to keep the line open for those movements, but that volume is *much* healthier than I'd thought.

A few weeks back I was stuck at the level crossing gates at Middleton while they joined together a rather massively lengthy train. I hadn't worked out how much it was hauling.

Thanks again.

Paul

• Like 1

But he wanted to charge people to see it, and since it was being shown in Yorkshire, no one wanted to pay... ;)

(I should add that my wife is from Yorkshire, and she and her family are very generous.)

Well, I'm 50% Yorkshire.

When it declares independence, I reckon I could apply for a passport.

• Like 1

WHile we've rambled off to Middleton Towers, I went there donkeys years ago to see the narrow gauge operation, which used very chunky Motor Rail 60hp locos, several of which are now preserved at Leighton Buzzard. I confess that I thought it had closed altogether, but, to confirm what has been said, and consulting Real Time Trains, it turned out two trains today, one of 1600T and one of 1400T. I should have included it on my WNR bike tour!

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Well flying (well, hopping) a powered heavier than air aircraft had only been tried just over a year before CA is set.....

What about Elmer, the flying monk of Malmesbury?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eilmer_of_Malmesbury

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about the second of your chosen musical numbers, would it be permitted to coach small children to sing those lyrics these days? I've got a feeling that it might not.

And, perhaps Eliza Doolittle didn't marry Freddy, but married up, becoming Lady Erstwhile, which would explain her familiarity with "lovable cockney" routines and, perhaps, make her a former pal of Nancy.

Edit: the Lord of the Rings musical: brilliant! Can we have some more, please.

PS: just realised that in 'My Fair Lady', Freddy was played by Jeremy Brett, whose version of Holmes seems to me to be entirely suited to CA.

And of course Eliza's father moved up the social ladder to become a porter at Milford Junction...