• RMweb Gold

As the saying goes, a Yorkshireman is very similar to a Scotsman, but far less generous.

I might say, I am a fully paid up Yorkshireman and "generous" with it.

Derek

I have always found Yorkshiremen extremely generous.

Especially when it comes to giving me their opinions on how great Yorkshire is... ;)

A Scottish friend’s father told me once that he had traced the myth about Scottish parsimony to a music hall act: one Harry Lauder, who did at least have a light railway named after him... He also told me a lovely Scottish saying, “Pockets deeper than a Fife miser’s”! So, it may be that stereotyping is fine, as long as the target is someone else...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the things I used to like about Britain was the stereotyping was applied to all. Every regional group would be mocked in some way and foreigners even more so. It was all so open and above board. Now it is very non PC to mock anyone's regional or national origins. Not that people don't think it but it is all kept hidden.

Don  

• RMweb Premium

One of the things I used to like about Britain was the stereotyping was applied to all. Every regional group would be mocked in some way and foreigners even more so. It was all so open and above board. Now it is very non PC to mock anyone's regional or national origins. Not that people don't think it but it is all kept hidden.

Don  

but all most always with  tongue firmly in cheek

Nick

• RMweb Premium

The Cromer Layout is by Chris Turnbull  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74024-cromer-modern-image-o-gauge/  The layout also features working SPADs  which of course everyone wants to see working. 

Don

SPADI's to be technical... We have one here, and we only see it working in possessions. For a train to pass the signal in rear at danger the driver is supposed to get out of the cab, unlock a box and press a plunger, and then pass the signal at danger (the SPADI is thus disabled for that one move). In possessions this of course doesn't happen.

Andy G

I have always found Yorkshiremen extremely generous.

Especially when it comes to giving me their opinions on how great Yorkshire is... ;)

A Scottish friend’s father told me once that he had traced the myth about Scottish parsimony to a music hall act: one Harry Lauder, who did at least have a light railway named after him... He also told me a lovely Scottish saying, “Pockets deeper than a Fife miser’s”! So, it may be that stereotyping is fine, as long as the target is someone else...

It goes back a bit before Harry Lauder (1870 - 1950).  The Punch cartoon Thrift (or "Bang Went Saxpence" ) by Charles Keene and published in 1868, commented on alleged Scottish parsimony, so it must have been a well understood concept well before Sir Harry Lauder was born!

http://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000pr0Ge8xcYyE

Keene also drew a number of railway based cartoons, I particularly like this one, about the classification of livestock...

http://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000CRlATCk4EiM

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium

It goes back a bit before Harry Lauder (1870 - 1950).  The Punch cartoon Thrift (or "Bang Went Saxpence" ) by Charles Kenne and published in 1868, commented on alleged Scottish parsimony, so it must have been a well understood concept well before Sir Harry Lauder was born!

http://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000pr0Ge8xcYyE

Keene also drew a number of railway based cartoons, I particularly like this one, about the classification of livestock...

http://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000CRlATCk4EiM

Once past his crinoline fetish, there's some entertaining social comedy, mostly taking the servants' side. But this one rang true...

SPADI's to be technical... We have one here, and we only see it working in possessions. For a train to pass the signal in rear at danger the driver is supposed to get out of the cab, unlock a box and press a plunger, and then pass the signal at danger (the SPADI is thus disabled for that one move). In possessions this of course doesn't happen.

Andy G

Equally improbable, I fear - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21843839

post-25673-0-94239200-1507188577.png

Postscript:

I know that I am being facetious concerning biplanes and shoulders, but I genuinely have no idea what people are talking about when they mention SPAD/SPADI.

Before you rush in to explain, however, I would ask you to pause to consider whether (a) I need to know this, and, (b) whether it is remotely likely that I would understand it.

Please bear in mind that, as I confessed a few pages back, even 'simple' matters of electrical circuits are, to me, incomprehensible magic, so I suspect that these mysterious initials stand for something equally mysterious.  

In fact, I don't see any point in continuing to use terms such as "electricity" and "electronics" because they have no real meaning for me.  I think the honest and consistent approach is simply to refer to them as "magic". That's quite nice in some ways; if I ever achieve a working layout, it will, thus, work by magic (no doubt via input from Wiring Wizards and, perhaps, a small miracle or two), as in "Look, I simply turn this knob and the train moves, as if by magic!"

AFAIK a controller is a box containing small goblins who push food called lectrons down tubes. Their rate of work is controlled by a knob on the front which changes the rate of whipping.
At the other end of the tubes more goblins spin wheels depending on how much food they get. With really fancy systems the receiving goblins send some of the food back, this may create a buzzing noise as the controller goblins fight to eat it.

With apologies to Terry Pratchett

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

AFAIK a controller is a box containing small goblins who push food called lectrons down tubes. Their rate of work is controlled by a knob on the front which changes the rate of whipping.

At the other end of the tubes more goblins spin wheels depending on how much food they get. With really fancy systems the receiving goblins send some of the food back, this may create a buzzing noise as the controller goblins fight to eat it.

However if the goblins don't push fast enough then the controller becomes a Fat Controller and appears in books and tv programs with a blue engine...

I suspect that is why I have always enjoyed the inventiveness of the Discworld novels.

For all I understand how my camera works, there may as well be a tiny creature inside furious working with paint and easel. So, if you're Pratchett, you explain it exactly like that!

• Like 4

How does that work with radio control?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Postscript:

I know that I am being facetious concerning biplanes and shoulders, but I genuinely have no idea what people are talking about when they mention SPAD/SPADI.

Before you rush in to explain, however, I would ask you to pause to consider whether (a) I need to know this, and, (b) whether it is remotely likely that I would understand it.

Please bear in mind that, as I confessed a few pages back, even 'simple' matters of electrical circuits are, to me, incomprehensible magic, so I suspect that these mysterious initials stand for something equally mysterious.  

In fact, I don't see any point in continuing to use terms such as "electricity" and "electronics" because they have no real meaning for me.  I think the honest and consistent approach is simply to refer to them as "magic". That's quite nice in some ways; if I ever achieve a working layout, it will, thus, work by magic (no doubt via input from Wiring Wizards and, perhaps, a small miracle or two), as in "Look, I simply turn this knob and the train moves, as if by magic!"

All you need to know it that electricity works by using the magic smoke inside the box. If for any reason you let the smoke out, it will stop working.

SPAD=Signal Passed At Danger (Also known as a SPAR (Red))

SPADI=SPAD Indicator

I'll leave it to someone who knows to explain what a SPADI actually does.

Or...

SPADI another stop signal with solid red and flashing red lights tht means "The last signal you passed was really at danger and it might be a good idea to stop NOW". It aso means that as a minimum your career is in jeopardy, and that if you survive that you may well have to explain the SPAD to a court and the tabloid press...

• RMweb Gold

All you need to know it that electricity works by using the magic smoke inside the box. If for any reason you let the smoke out, it will stop working.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke. 1973

‘Witchcraft to the ignorant, … simple science to the learned.” Leigh Brackett. 1942

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Premium

SPAD=Signal Passed At Danger (Also known as a SPAR (Red))

SPADI=SPAD Indicator

I'll leave it to someone who knows to explain what a SPADI actually does.

SPAD= signal passed at danger.

SPAR= signal passed at red.

A SPAR is not the same as a SPAD.

A SPAD is when the signal is correctly showing a danger aspect in enough time for the train to stop safely at the signal.

A SPAR is when the signal is at danger, but the aspect is not shown in time for the train to stop at the signal, ie the bobby has inadvertently put back in front of the train, or 'obstruction danger' has been received and you have thrown back and the driver has seen the reversion but could not stop in time.

Andy G

Well Bullhead rail has arrived, from SMP, in good time, followed by ply sleepers from Timber Tracks, with commendable speed. 

Still to come are the C&L chairs.

I now realise that I have made no provision for gluing the chairs to the sleepers. 

C&L sell Butanone, but I haven't ordered any.  I gather it's basically MEK.  Any advice or good sources for the stuff? 

• RMweb Premium

Well Bullhead rail has arrived, from SMP, in good time, followed by ply sleepers from Timber Tracks, with commendable speed. 

Still to come are the C&L chairs.

I now realise that I have made no provision for gluing the chairs to the sleepers. 

C&L sell Butanone, but I haven't ordered any.  I gather it's basically MEK.  Any advice or good sources for the stuff? 

If you don't mind the pink colour, the stuff that plumbers use to join plastic pipes is butanone. Available down here from big DIY stores so I would guess it would be up your way too.

You probably know this already, but Slaters Mek-Pak is not actually MEK/butanone.

SPAD= signal passed at danger.

SPAR= signal passed at red.

A SPAR is not the same as a SPAD.

A SPAD is when the signal is correctly showing a danger aspect in enough time for the train to stop safely at the signal.

A SPAR is when the signal is at danger, but the aspect is not shown in time for the train to stop at the signal, ie the bobby has inadvertently put back in front of the train, or 'obstruction danger' has been received and you have thrown back and the driver has seen the reversion but could not stop in time.

Andy G

The SPAD/SPAR difference depends on period, prior to 2012 all were SPADs, divided into categories A-D

From Wiki

Acronyms - SPADs and SPARs

Prior to December 2012, the term "SPAD" applied to all incidents where a signal was passed at danger without authority, and a letter was used to specify the principal cause.

Now the term SPAD is only used for what were previously category A SPADs and a new term, SPAR – Signal Passed at Red, is used to describe the former category B, C and D incidents.

There are a number of ways that a train can pass a signal at danger without authority, and in the UK these fall into four basic categories:

• A SPAD (Previously Category A SPAD) is where the train proceeds beyond its authorised movement to an unauthorised movement.
  • A Technical SPAR (Previously Category B SPAD) is where the signal reverted to danger in front of the train due to an equipment failure or signaller error and the train was unable to stop before passing the signal.
  • A Signaller SPAR (Previously Category C SPAD) is where the signal was replaced to danger in front of the train by the signaller in accordance with the rules and regulations and the train was unable to stop before passing the signal.
  • A Runaway SPAR (Previously Category D SPAD) is where an unattended train or vehicles not attached to a traction unit run away past a signal at danger.