Hmm...

The "Royal Route" to to the Broads smacks of "The Great Way Round", unless you're travelling from Derby....  As for the girls with golf sticks, I find their intense expressions and firm jaw lines rather disconcerting, as if they're imagining taking a swipe at something completely different!

As for the Young Lady at Whitley Bay, what's she on???  I fear that the starfish is going to end up down the back of someone elses cozzie.....

At last i can join in with summat   :jester: I love Barmouth and the area. Heres a few old pics' and bad scans of mine, but it keeps my hand in on this thread, :mosking:

post-31611-0-11677300-1531564645_thumb.jpg

Loved it in the '60's and '70's as a kid on my hols' stayin' at the local Sunnysands Caravan Park. Always plenty of double headed 24's and 25's back then, and when the old station buildings and footbridge still survived. This is probably one of the last pics' i have with the old wooden station building behind this DMU thingy taken in the early '90's.

post-31611-0-52154300-1531564844_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Bit of artistic license there - I don't think the Caledonian main line passes through any country quite that mountainous.

The Midland was rather more honest about its scenery - whilst making a good deal out of it:

attachicon.gifMR Derbyshire poster.jpg

Readers, please excuse this little poster war. Other attractions are available. Speaking of Royal Routes:

attachicon.gifmgnr1908.jpg

In all fairness if I was travelling to Scotland from the South in the late 1880s I suspect the Midland/GSWR route would have been a most rewarding option,

Decent bogie carriages, efficient brakes and stunning scenery through the Yorkshire Dales.

By way of a piece offering I present

post-13616-0-05636700-1531570122_thumb.jpg

We used to live  a few miles form the Monsal Head viaduct and the climb up passed the old mine by Monsal Head station was a regular mountain bike route.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

As for the girls with golf sticks, I find their intense expressions and firm jaw lines rather disconcerting, as if they're imagining taking a swipe at something completely different!

What, balls with an uneven surface?

• RMweb Gold

Point of order, Mr Chairman: many of the posters posted over the last couple of days have been post-Grouping. Please can we keep posted posters in period?

So to clarify...... if posters are posting posters those posters should be pre-grouping?

I'm not sure I'm old enough!

What, balls with an uneven surface?

Well, spherical objects, certainly....

And here is one which is almost relevant to the thread

attachicon.gifThe Broads.jpg

Back to the Hullaballoos - and it has taken me weeks to realise that I typed the word wrongly last time.

Jonathan

But I can't see the gramophone on the cabin roof, which the Hullaballoos played constantly to everyone elses annoyance and which had a watery demise (back to Gt Yarmouth) on Breydon Water....

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium

So to clarify...... if posters are posting posters those posters should be pre-grouping?

I'm not sure I'm old enough!

No, no, no! The posters posted by posters posting posters should be pre-Grouping. 

• Like 1

Point of order, Mr Chairman: many of the posters posted over the last couple of days have been post-Grouping. Please can we keep posted posters in period?

Oh, post-grouping.....

I understand now!

Do we have to wear pre-grouping attire when posting appropriate posters too?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Golfing Girl came south, too, it seems.

Here she is in a picture that I cannot make match the view westward from Seaford Head, however hard I try - I think the artist was guilty of terraforming.

And, another one of her.

Thank you for the Seaford poster. The town has spread a lot since then! There certainly seems to have been some major rearrangement of the South Downs in the poster and Newhaven has been wiped from the landscape altogether, despite having three railway stations.

post-14351-0-56755600-1531606310_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Dear Sirs I must confess the pictures I recently posted were taken post grouping. Until I find an affordable time machine I am unable to take pre-grouping ones to replace them

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

But the C & O certainly did!

Jim

... but the train depicted is clearly the Corridor headed by Cardean. Far to heavy for the C & O, apart from any other considerations.

When I first read Jim's post I thought he meant the Chesapeake & Ohio...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dear Sirs I must confess the pictures I recently posted were taken post grouping. Until I find an affordable time machine I am unable to take pre-grouping ones to replace them

Don

You should have purchased one many years ago when they were so much cheaper...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit of artistic license there - I don't think the Caledonian main line passes through any country quite that mountainous.

Well, not the main line as such, but if you arrived in Scotland via the west coast route you could continue via the Callender & Oban, essentially Caledonian, which definitely had some mountains around it. Fair enough, I'd have thought.

• RMweb Gold

Worried about post grouping, eh?

This is bound, to cause a fence.

Stop being so frivolous on a serious thread like this. There's far too much at stake. However, I'll forgive you this time, as you do make some useful points from time to time.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Surely in the modern context of this forum a post grouping is simply referred to as a thread. Thus this pre grouping thread is a post grouping. According to a poster above, post grouping is not relevant to this thread. Doesn't that make the whole thread, a post grouping, irrelevant to itself? It's not just the aforementioned time machine that can cause paradoxes.

• Like 3