Worried about post grouping, eh?

This is bound, to cause a fence.

In certain areas of the country, a fence is a dealer in stolen property... 

Edit....rest of text removed, didn't say what I intended and drew an irate response from Nearholmer.

Apologies to him and any one else I annoyed with my puerile attempt at humour. 

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Premium

Since it appears that the LNWR didn't advertise the Welsh Rockies I can only assume that they were invented after 1922. However, here is the earlier rendering:

post-13650-0-85155000-1531648840.jpg

Or for some morthern northerly heights (not sure about the date):

post-13650-0-36780000-1531649013.jpg

But if you want real mountains you need to travel further:

post-13650-0-62883200-1531649452_thumb.jpg

But I need to play my cards better - though post Grouping I am afraid:

post-13650-0-46369000-1531649553_thumb.jpg

No Trumps please.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 7

"........so designation of post-grouping items is??"

This is a question that can cause fierce debate in old toy train collecting circles, where a lot of very collectible items date from the 1920s through to the 1950s, with tiny overspill into the 1960s, but I'd say that the most widely-recognised term is 'vintage', by analogy with vintage cars.

'Classic' is also used, but that tends to imply something about the materials and manufacturing techniques (mass produced from metal, not plastic) rather than the exact date, so 'tinplate' models made yesterday are admitted into the definition. 'Retro' is a slightly more 'hip' way of saying the same thing.

But, so far as I know, none of the three terms is properly defined, and only a person who enjoyed provoking pointless arguments, or was so insensitive as not to realise that they would do so, would attempt to draw hard definitions!

Edited by Nearholmer

Hi Edwardian - just spent a fascinating hour or so reading this thread! I love Norfolk as a lot of my family roots are there and I have lots of relatives still scattered across East Anglia. Also a big fan of light railways so this ticks all the boxes for me. It's a relatively rarely modelled period a well which always makes things interesting.

Most of all, the whole discussion is highly entertaining, eclectic and different which is great. It has kept me entertained and I have learned a great deal.... I cannot believe I hadn't stumbled across CA before but will be sure to keep checking up now... it's all about he journey not necessarily the destination ;)

Keep up the fascinating work!

David

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 3

I never realises that Lowestoft was quite so racy.

Oh you've never lived until you have experienced a Saturday night in Lowestoft... in my period living in sunny Suffolk I was a regular visitor for fun and debauchery ;)

• Like 2

Hi Edwardian - just spent a fascinating hour or so reading this thread! I love Norfolk as a lot of my family roots are there and I have lots of relatives still scattered across East Anglia. Also a big fan of light railways so this ticks all the boxes for me. It's a relatively rarely modelled period a well which always makes things interesting.

Most of all, the whole discussion is highly entertaining, eclectic and different which is great. It has kept me entertained and I have learned a great deal.... I cannot believe I hadn't stumbled across CA before but will be sure to keep checking up now... it's all about he journey not necessarily the destination ;)

Keep up the fascinating work!

David

That's interesting as several families up on the coast of Norfolk have connections to the Tyne/Wear area – mostly families involved in the coastwise coal trade. They would send one of their sons off to be their Friend in the North. There was an article about these family connections some years back in the Glaven Historian No.7 http://www.bahs.uk/publications/glaven-historian/gh-issues/

Billy the Fish, eh?

Hmm, given that it's a Madame Tussaud's poster, I'd guess it would be William Fish who was hanged at Kirkdale Gaol in Aug 1876 for the murder of a 7 year old girl at Blackburn.  "He ascribed his falling into a vicious life to the abandonment of Sunday School teaching and the perusal of cheap noxious literature."  Madame T was quick to place a waxwork of him in the Chamber of Horrors.

That's interesting as several families up on the coast of Norfolk have connections to the Tyne/Wear area – mostly families involved in the coastwise coal trade. They would send one of their sons off to be their Friend in the North. There was an article about these family connections some years back in the Glaven Historian No.7 http://www.bahs.uk/publications/glaven-historian/gh-issues/

Thanks for that link, I'll have a look.

The migration of folk northwards to work in the Durham coalfield is fascinating. My family came north from the Diss area, obviously for work, away from agricultural poverty to work down the pits. One hard life to another ultimately, better pay, but dangerous.

Ironically part of my family have now returned there, to the Acle area, before spreading across Norfolk and Suffolk and I also had a couple of years working in Ipswich. Funny old world isn't.

• Like 2

If she was in the altogether she would be pale blue, not tan colour! Why do you think she has that cloak?

When our family were young we had a cottage in Earlesferry, Fife.  Even in July the North Sea was so cold that by the time you had walked in up to your knees, from your ankles down had gone numb!

Jim

Apologies, my neglect of the topic and CA continues, but I did manage to catch up on all the wonderful poster posts via my 'phone this afternoon.  Need to have a proper catch up soon, but in the meantime, I offer a glimpse of the real thing.

This is a Northumberland beach, which very much hold the place in the lives of my family and the dogs that Holkham used to ... 

post-25673-0-66833200-1531688322_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-14162100-1531688416_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Apologies, my neglect of the topic and CA continues, but I did manage to catch up on all the wonderful poster posts via my 'phone this afternoon. Need to have a proper catch up soon, but in the meantime, I offer a glimpse of the real thing.

This is a Northumberland beach, which very much hold the place in the lives of my family and the dogs that Holkham used to ...

Where exactly is that? (If you don't mind me asking!) Edited by south_tyne

Is it not just south of Spittal?  That looks like the white sheeting covering Lindesfarne Castle you can just make out on the horizon.  We spent a few nights in Berwick a month ago.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

It does look like its south of Alnmouth. On the left photo - looking south - there is a long man-made breakwater or similar construction in the far distance and the only one I can see on the map is at Amble, to the south and east of Warkworth.

Edited by phil_sutters