Overheard in the Drill Hall vestry

“I say Erstwhile Old Chap,

I’ve just got back from a decent spot of shootin’ with Sutherland up at Dunrobin.  He’s got a whole railway in his pocket up there complete with a private station for his ruddy great castle!

He was good enough to get his engine man to take me out for a ride on his pet engine ‘Cluny’.  Pretty little thing, all curvy around her front end; apparently the work of a chap called Davy Jones.  Poor chap got run over by one of those dastardly road motors last year and died.

Theyv’e more of  Jones-the-engine’s little decolletage ladies down in Iverness. Evidently the present engineer there ...one  of those dour Drummond bros ... wants his engines more straight-laced.

Anyway Sutherland says “ go on make the miserly old #### an offer... my man can drive her down to my other place in Stafford for you – its nobbut  a cock’s step across to Norfolk from there, your Company can collect her”

So ...um...that's what I’m asking,  Erstwhile old man.  I actually bought one (can’t now, for the life of me which..)

post-21705-0-12604500-1536525641_thumb.jpg

I’m asking  whether as a Director can I park  her in the CA  engine house? ...I’m prepared to pay for CA  men to ride over on the cushions to fetch her.. ."

Erstwhile:

"I say! Steady the Buffs  Elmo,  If  we let the Acton-Tichingfelds  keep their ###### mistresses here on CA property we’ll  have more ‘No Potpourri Here ’  riots on our hands right across the county.

dh

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Well, that group around Strathtay look pretty furtive to me - are you sure they didn't just make off with her while Peter Drummond's attention was being distracted? (An accomplice had just made him a very reasonable offer for the remaining tins of IEG.)

But, before being to hard on young Peter, remember those Jones engines have a good deal of Stroudley in them and the Great Dugald had been Stroudley's right-hand man at Brighton, Inverness, and way back at Cowlairs (under the benign eye of S.W. Johnson, of course).

• Like 2

Funny that - when it was mentioned about Allan framing and locos that lasted long enough to be around secondhand my first thoughts went to lochgorm as well. Unfortunately a fair few of them were still profitably employed until well into LMS days.

I'm very taken by the one that looks like a Met tank crossed with Terrier; two good London engines for the price of one!

Its a very attractive locomotive, and Strathtay looks decent too, though Cluny appears to be unbalanced and would benefit from the addition of a leading bogie. I like the dinky little oilers popping out of the top of the cylinders.

And those louvres that Jones insisted on inserting into his chimneys could, with a small amount of effort, be converted into the most musical wind whistles, thus affording an excellent warning of the locos approach!

Time for a coffee, I think......  :jester:

• Like 3

Well, no further progress on stock this weekend, as I was in the mood for more Victorian architectural insanity, so I have advanced the central section of the Drill Hall a little.  Actually, it's taken a lot of time to get this far; the method of cutting out and overlaying the brick onto the flint is extremely time consuming.

The parapets will probably take as much time as I've spent so far, then there is the big gothic semi-circular window in what was, once, one of the round towers of the castle gateway.  The CA school will use a similar technique - red brick and carstone rag - as will the station - ashlar and carstone rag - so it's all good practice!

post-25673-0-72861500-1536564172_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-60657600-1536564341_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-68161100-1536564416_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-00214700-1536564575_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well, no further progress on stock this weekend, as I was in the mood for more Victorian architectural insanity, so I have advanced the central section of the Drill Hall a little.  Actually, it's taken a lot of time to get this far; the method of cutting out and overlaying the brick onto the flint is extremely time consuming.

The parapets will probably take as much time as I've spent so far, then there is the big gothic semi-circular window in what was, once, one of the round towers of the castle gateway.  The CA school will use a similar technique - red brick and carstone rag - as will the station - ashlar and carstone rag - so it's all good practice!

Superb structure, yet again James. Extremely realistic looking building. Cant wait to see them all together on the layout.

Well, no further progress on stock this weekend, as I was in the mood for more Victorian architectural insanity, so I have advanced the central section of the Drill Hall a little. Actually, it's taken a lot of time to get this far; the method of cutting out and overlaying the brick onto the flint is extremely time consuming.

The parapets will probably take as much time as I've spent so far, then there is the big gothic semi-circular window in what was, once, one of the round towers of the castle gateway. The CA school will use a similar technique - red brick and carstone rag - as will the station - ashlar and carstone rag - so it's all good practice!

Wow. Very very nice. I'm almost speechless that that's made of card.

That is insanely good.

Its always been a bit of a "bee in the bonnet" of mine over model making that is primarily designed to be photographed (not designed to be 'felt' in the round).

I have argued that layouts principally intended for posting on line could get away with a lot of 2D flat montage modelling that works for the camera angles.used.

We had a Beeb serial (DH Lawrence's Rainbow) filmed over twenty years ago in our gaunt and haunted old parsonage that helped fix some of the worst parapet gutter leaks etc.

We were gobsmacked at the trickery inflicted upon the interior from day to day (rather like Mr O'Reilly in Fawlty Towers) as filming progressed.

Best of all was my daughter's bedroom on our top floor (overlooking the graveyard in reality) being transformed into a E Midlands colliery manager's house overlooking a busy working railway sidings. The two women cavorting in teenage daughter's bed (!) get up to fling open the curtains briefly for us to glimpse a couple of locos shunting, then its gone.

It was simply a tray with an N gauge layout suspended outside the 3rd floor window for an hour - then put back in the van. I suppose stuff like that would be digitally manipulated these days. Now the "family bedroom", we still retain the Beeb's 1920's decor untouched.

And now to gainsay all the above: I have actually 'been privileged'* enough to have 'felt' some of CA's buildings in my hands (and have seen Ahron's layout at Pendon). Their detail is breathakingly fragile.

*note the borrowing of a typical OS Nock phrase

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 7

‘Cut to vigorous shunting’ has, I suppose, got that earthy quality that befits Lawrence more than, say, ‘cut to churning sea and breakers subsiding onto rocks’.

Given that RAR refers to "cavorting women", the more traditional imagry would be appropriate enough, though not completely characteristic of the East Midlands.  Mind you, it would be better than the equally hackneyed imagery of demolished chimneys filmed in reverse, trains rushing into tunnels, trains rushing out of tunnels and the chimney collapsing once more that might bracket the beating waves, etc... ;)

Phew!  :smoke: 

‘Cut to vigorous shunting’ has, I suppose, got that earthy quality that befits Lawrence more than, say, ‘cut to churning sea and breakers subsiding onto rocks’.

Given that RAR refers to "cavorting women", the more traditional imagry would be appropriate enough, though not completely characteristic of the East Midlands.  Mind you, it would be better than the equally hackneyed imagery of demolished chimneys filmed in reverse, trains rushing into tunnels, trains rushing out of tunnels and the chimney collapsing once more that might bracket the beating waves, etc... ;)

Phew!  :smoke:

Made me think of the train whistling into the tunnel in Brief Encounter!

(One of the best films ever made - leading to an unlikely minor crush on Dame Celia Johnson, when I was very young)

I encountered (hehehe) another curious train/tunnel film last week, the 1935 "39 Steps" by Hitchcock starring Robert Donut (umm Donat) and Madeleine Carrol.  The Flying Scotsman, drawn by 2595 Trigo leaves Kings Cross, allowing Hannay to escape the police, cutting to the charwoman entering his flat.  She sees the body lying there and turns to camera and screams, which segues to a locomotive exiting a tunnel, whistle screaming.

So what?  I hear you grump.

Well, it ain't Trigo erupting from a tunnel, but a GWR 4 cylinder 4-6-0...   (Can't say Castle or King because I couldn't see any details)  Other continuity faux-pas includeed Hannay/Donut leaning out of what appeared to be a maroon carriage at Kings Cross, rather than a Gresley teak one and the "Flying Scotsman" headboard looked a bit dodgy too!

I encountered (hehehe) another curious train/tunnel film last week, the 1935 "39 Steps" by Hitchcock starring Robert Donut (umm Donat) and Madeleine Carrol.  The Flying Scotsman, drawn by 2595 Trigo leaves Kings Cross, allowing Hannay to escape the police, cutting to the charwoman entering his flat.  She sees the body lying there and turns to camera and screams, which segues to a locomotive exiting a tunnel, whistle screaming.

So what?  I hear you grump.

Well, it ain't Trigo erupting from a tunnel, but a GWR 4 cylinder 4-6-0...   (Can't say Castle or King because I couldn't see any details)  Other continuity faux-pas includeed Hannay/Donut leaning out of what appeared to be a maroon carriage at Kings Cross, rather than a Gresley teak one and the "Flying Scotsman" headboard looked a bit dodgy too!

Another excellent film.

For a broadside view of a GW WoE express, complete with 70 footers, see In Which We Serve