I am not sure when the more Dionysiac, not to say positively Neolithic, aspects of the rites were suppressed, but surely the cultural life of the Achings retains some vestiges of the ancient traditions associated with Flint Knapping. I fully accept that in this brave new Century actual human sacrifice may be considered a tad de trop, but I suspect various deeply symbolic practices survive. Indeed do I not recall that upon the new line of railway being opened, the ribbon was severed by means of a polished axe-head of improbable antiquity?

Let 'The Golden Bough' be your guide. On second thoughts, perhaps not...

• Like 1

Didn’t the chap at the M&GN find time to perfect, if not invent, the making of ferro-concrete casting besides?

The Golden Bough is a seriously boring book. It describes, or catalogues, interesting things, but with all the panache of a telephone directory put together by a bloke who was really bored after a career in the telephone directory compiling trade.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

It is surely high time we were introduced to the West Norfolk's long-suffering Locomotive Superintendent? I suspect his duties also encompass the Carriage & Wagon Dept. and maybe more? It wasn't unknown to combine the role with that of General Manager.

James Tyrrell, Loco Supt of the MSWJR among his no doubt multitudinous other duties, only got to 'design' one class of locos – the very successful NB-built 4-4-0s. He provided the specificarion but I suspect it was the NBL draughtmen who determined their appearance. 

The WNR being somewhat smaller, and possibly even more impecunious, would be more likely to have a Loco Foreman rather than Superintendent, oder?

• RMweb Premium

Compound could be talking about me (well, my nom-de-plume). Ahrons had a lovely turn of phrase about him.

That's one, though I was also thinking of the rather avariciously-named T. Hurry Riches of the Taff Vale. But maybe he didn't hold a General Management post?

On a rather grander scale, Sir John Aspinall progressed from Locomotive Superintendent to General Manager of the Lancashire & Yorkshire; he filled both posts with great success - he was possibly an even greater manager than engineer. The Germans' decision to release him from internment in 1914 was a major error of judgement for their point of view.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Railwaymen were dead-keen on organising ‘mutual improvement classes’, so we need to book a room every Wednesday evening for those.

Railway enthusiasm wasn’t really organised at this date, the SLS, CURS, and The MRC all date from just a few years later, but have we mentioned vegetable and flower shows, vicarage fetes, and the ancient folk custom of ‘dressing the bush’, which has taken place in CA every vernal equinox since I just made it up?

TMI

• RMweb Premium

Didn’t the chap at the M&GN find time to perfect, if not invent, the making of ferro-concrete casting besides?

The Golden Bough is a seriously boring book. It describes, or catalogues, interesting things, but with all the panache of a telephone directory put together by a bloke who was really bored after a career in the telephone directory compiling trade.

I read a review of the telephone directory once. Essentially, lots of characters but not much plot.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well, we do have the "Norfolk Oilfields" affair.  We decided to back-date the Setch Oilfields story, as you will recall.  I am not sure whether English Oilfields started out in the honest belief that the scheme was viable, but if so, it certainly seems to have been kept going as a fraudulent scheme.

What an excellent idea.  You would have to go back a month or two from the layout's intended Maytime setting for an annual Easter meet, but it makes sense:

Racing first took place at Fakenham on Easter Monday after the West Norfolk Hunt took a committee decision to transfer their race meeting from East Winch, near King’s Lynn. The West Norfolk Hunt had run meeting since 1884 at East Winch but because of concerns over continual heavy going at the course, a more suitable, lighter soil site was identified at Fakenham.

This first meeting in 1905 attracted 37 runners and considering the travelling difficulties in those days, confirmed the excellent local support for the transfer to Fakenham. Just the one meeting per year was held on Easter Monday with racing continuing every year except for enforced breaks during war years.

https://www.fakenhamracecourse.co.uk/contact/about-fakenham-racecourse/

EDIT: See also: http://www.eastwinchandwestbilney.co.uk/history/east-winch-races and http://www.greyhoundderby.com/East%20Winch%20Racecourse.html

Point-to-point would seem to be more appropriate than Rules I suspect.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

The remarks about telephone directories reminds me of my Gran. We were the first house at our end of the road to be connected needing an extra pole or two. This was early 50s when phones were less common. We were supplied witth a directory. My Gran read it through commeting on various entries  such as " Oh there's a Mrs J Evans in Queens Street, I wonder if she's related to Bill Evans at the grocer's I think his sister was Joan or Jean  or was it Brenda couldn't have been her if it was."   

She had a good few hours of pleasure going through the directory. I dont remember her telephoning anyone though.

As for folk Customs, Minehead still has the Hobby Horse not perhaps the most exciting but some enjoy it and it raises money for good causes.

Don

• Like 4

Not being a native of the county, I would be interested in, and grateful for,  any information on Norfolk traditions.

Oh dear Lordy, no. We don't want to start exploring those websites.

Then again...

The sound of cans of worms being opened is deafening.

The-Wicker-Man.jpg

MV5BNTNmOGYyYWItZGIzOC00NWI2LTk0NDctYWQ4

wickermansfw.jpg?itok=UH3cbzhO

thewickerman1_640.jpg

Still, the locals appear to have grand time at these events...

christopher-lee1.jpg

I'm sure a wicker man incendiary special train can be run each summer equinox dawn.

Edited by Martin S-C

Then again...

The-Wicker-Man.jpg

thewickerman1_640.jpg

christopher-lee1.jpg

I'm sure a wicker man incendiary special train can be run each summer equinox dawn.

That's not Normal For Norfolk at all! The Wicker Man was set in Scotland...

Then again...

In the interests of strict accuracy, I think the word you're fishing, nay floundering for is solstice rather than equinox, which we'll be experiencing in a couple of days time.....

btw, the Furrie Dancers look a bit weird, and the scenery is a bit "rolling" at the Henge for Norfolk.  But its nice scenery.....

Now, tinned worms - it could be an interesting small industry aimed at the coarse fishing fraternity before freeze-dried bait became a possibility and less smelly than live maggots.

• Like 6

Before we all get carried away....  I suppose what I had in mind was something more in the mild English way of assimilating and, where necessary, sanitising, some of the more ancient and blood-red traditions.  You know, the way murder is made pleasant for Sunday evening television viewing. 

Of course, the Christian church since its earliest days proved adept at incorporating pagan festivals and practices, and re-directing them in the service of the church.  This was no doubt shrewd, but I cannot help thinking that asking congregations to remember that Christ died for us all, rather than asking for a volunteer for the annual human sacrifice, might have been pushing at an open door. So rather than burning Edward Woodward alive for resisting Brit Ekland's bottom-double, I was rather thinking in terms of a Norfolk church fete, with May Queen, and so forth.  You know, more a case of children dancing round the Maypole than the Ballet Russe thrashing about in The Rite of Spring?

post-25673-0-34817600-1537430218_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-40535100-1537430226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

Before we all get carried away....  I suppose what I had in mind was something more in the mild English way of assimilating and, where necessary, sanitising, some of the more ancient and blood-red traditions.  You know, the way murder is made pleasant for Sunday evening television viewing. 

Of course, the Christian church since its earliest days proved adept at incorporating pagan festivals and practices, and re-directing them in the service of the church.  This was no doubt shrewd, but I cannot help thinking that asking congregations to remember that Christ died for us all, rather than asking for a volunteer for the annual human sacrifice, might have been pushing at an open door. So rather than burning Edward Woodward alive for resisting Brit Ekland's bottom-double, I was rather thinking in terms of a Norfolk church fete, with May Queen, and so forth.  You know, more a case of children dancing round the Maypole than the Ballet Russe thrashing about in The Rite of Spring?

Its amazing what can be done with a pale leotard.....

But yes, cavorting about a maypole is more family friendly and downright picturesque.

Any other meaning is purely fallacious

Looking at those pictures from The Wicker Man, the biggest lesson I draw is that 1970s Open University lecturers were a rum bunch. Actually, thinking about it, that’s a reminder, not a lesson.

How stood the poor laws in 1905? Who oversaw them? I’m pretty sure that there were still workhouses, although possibly re-titled.

And, medical care? Is there some sort of basic hospital in the district, and how is it supported and run? Religious, endowed, subscription??

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Looking at those pictures from The Wicker Man, the biggest lesson I draw is that 1970s Open University lecturers were a rum bunch. Actually, thinking about it, that’s a reminder, not a lesson.

How stood the poor laws in 1905? Who oversaw them? I’m pretty sure that there were still workhouses, although possibly re-titled.

And, medical care? Is there some sort of basic hospital in the district, and how is it supported and run? Religious, endowed, subscription??

Nowadays Jarvis Cocker seems to be taking his fashion cues from the typical OU television lecture of olden days.  However, the mathematicians were the best value, with beards full enough to camp in whilst they plotted f(x) -> f(x+n).

Local government re-organisation dated from the mid-1890s, prior to that the poor laws were administered on a parochial basis (On the Parish, a fate to be feared), or a union of neighbouring parishes, the Poor Law Unions.  The UDCs and RDCs took over these functions.  Sewerage and water supply was also a function of Sanitary Districts, connected with the Poor Law Unions.

• RMweb Premium

Wikipedia is your friend:

"The Reformed Poor Law after 1834. From its institution in 1603 to its final abolition in 1929, the provision of relief under the Poor Law was continually fluctuating between giving relief outside the workhouse and giving relief within the workhouse."

My father trained before WWII as a poor law offficer. By the time he was looking for a job they were extinct. So he joined the fledgling hospital service. His first job was to find offices for the Welsh Hospital Board in Cardiff. He stayed to become Assistant Secretary (the highest paid post, the rest being elected). Its offices were in the Temple of Peace & Health. We could do with more of those.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Castle Acre and Castle Rising were part of the Freebridge Lynn Poor Law Union (along with 30 other parishes). I'm not sure of which PLU Castle Aching would have been a part. Freebridge Lynn Workhouse was still going in the 1920s though by this time births there were recorded as being at 1 Old Swaffham Road, Gayton, not at the Gayton Workhouse. There's quite a bit about it online including on the go to site for workhouse information... http://www.workhouses.org.uk/FreebridgeLynn/

So the question would be, does the Parish of Castle Aching sit within a known PLU, which means we can easily find a history for it, or is the whole of the PLU in that fold of the map that has so frustratingly hidden Castle Aching from view for so long. If the latter methinks there are many more parishes that we've missed for all these years!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

Castle Acre and Castle Rising were part of the Freebridge Lynn Poor Law Union (along with 30 other parishes). I'm not sure of which PLU Castle Aching would have been a part. Freebridge Lynn Workhouse was still going in the 1920s though by this time births there were recorded as being at 1 Old Swaffham Road, Gayton, not at the Gayton Workhouse. There's quite a bit about it online including on the go to site for workhouse information... http://www.workhouses.org.uk/FreebridgeLynn/

So the question would be, does the Parish of Castle Aching sit within a known PLU, which means we can easily find a history for it, or is the whole of the PLU in that fold of the map that has so frustratingly hidden Castle Aching from view for so long. If the latter methinks there are many more parishes that we've missed for all these years!

Kind regards, Neil

Excellent information, thanks.  The fold in the map containing CA must logically lie somewhere between Acre and Rising, and if both of these are within the Freebridge Lynn PLU, on the face of it, so must be CA, unless, of course, so much additional Norfolk means that primary world boundaries must be revised!

EDIT: To quote from your link, the list of parishes is very much the area within which The Achings must be found:

Freebridge Lynn Poor Law Union was formed on 16th November 1836. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 36 in number, representing its 32 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

County of Norfolk: Ashwicken, Babingley, Bawsey, West Bilney, Castle Acre (2), Castle Rising, Congham, Flitcham with Appleton, Gayton, Gayton Thorpe, Gaywood (2), Grimston (2), Harpley, Hillington, Leziate, Great Massingham (2), Little Massingham, Middleton, Mintlyn, West Newton, Pentney, Roydon, North Runcton, Sandringham, Setchey, East Walton, West Acre [Westacre] with Custhorpe, East Winch, West Winch, Wolverton [Wolferton], North Wootton, South Wootton.

Later Additions (all from 1902): North Lynn (from 1896).

Now, I did mention Almshouses, and these will be shamelessly borrowed from Castle Rising, complete with female inmates in their rather Welsh attire, and no doubt with a suitably Trollopian Warden.   

post-25673-0-84981900-1537436753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Of course, the only problem with tinned worms is when the label falls off, its the only tin in the cupboard and you want a late-night snack.

Beans on toast turns into an unusual spaghetti on toast...

Klingon  Gagh

Of course, the only problem with tinned worms is when the label falls off, its the only tin in the cupboard and you want a late-night snack.

Beans on toast turns into an unusual spaghetti on toast...

Martin Luther had a diet based on them.

Excellent information, thanks.  The fold in the map containing CA must logically lie somewhere between Acre and Rising, and if both of these are within the Freebridge Lynn PLU, on the face of it, so must be CA, unless, of course, so much additional Norfolk means that primary world boundaries must be revised!

EDIT: To quote from your link, the list of parishes is very much the area within which The Achings must be found:

Freebridge Lynn Poor Law Union was formed on 16th November 1836. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 36 in number, representing its 32 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

County of Norfolk: Ashwicken, Babingley, Bawsey, West Bilney, Castle Acre (2), Castle Rising, Congham, Flitcham with Appleton, Gayton, Gayton Thorpe, Gaywood (2), Grimston (2), Harpley, Hillington, Leziate, Great Massingham (2), Little Massingham, Middleton, Mintlyn, West Newton, Pentney, Roydon, North Runcton, Sandringham, Setchey, East Walton, West Acre [Westacre] with Custhorpe, East Winch, West Winch, Wolverton [Wolferton], North Wootton, South Wootton.

Later Additions (all from 1902): North Lynn (from 1896).

Now, I did mention Almshouses, and these will be shamelessly borrowed from Castle Rising, complete with female inmates in their rather Welsh attire, and no doubt with a suitably Trollopian Warden.   

One hopes he's a bit more decisive and less wimpish than Septimus Harding.

Its rare that I feel that a character in a novel needs a good kick up the backside to instil some moral fibre, but Septimus certainly irritated me!

Martin Luther had a diet based on them.

at least it wasn't Bugs....

• Like 2