RMweb

As well as strange creatures in the middle of the house, does the railway come through the middle of the house?

The railway comes through the middle of the house...

It comes and goes through the middle of the house...

And the trains are all on time...

And here comes the five o' nine...

[sound effect of a steam hauled LBSCR express with its whistle open. Apparently that was what was used in the actual recording!]

• Like 3

As well as strange creatures in the middle of the house, does the railway come through the middle of the house?

[sound effect of a steam hauled LBSCR express with its whistle open. Apparently that was what was used in the actual recording!]

There was an Emett cartoon about that sort of thing, something about a "right of way".

Can I find my copy of "The Early Morning Milk Train" with the cartoon in it?  Ha!

Saved by Google...

post-21933-0-94388100-1542638729.jpg

Anyhow, given the era, Nearholmers daughters house is more likely to have one of those Agricolan tubways with the guiding pin, rather than a REAL railway...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

There is a cardboard horse and cart in the scene, but no early tramroads, I’m afraid.

Oddly enough TGFOL opened my eyes to the possibility of miniature cardboard cities, rather a long time ago, when we went on a school visit to The Museum of London, long before it moved to the Barbican and was at Kensington Palace, where there was a huge diorama of the fire, in about 1/100 scale, possibly eight or ten feet square.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have a picture of a narrow gauge line here in SE France, which did exactly that.   The line operating in street mode (as many did within towns and villages) needed to make a right angle turn and because the streets were too narrow, enters the building though the middle of one wall and exits through the adjacent one.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yuk! You have feelings! That's gross! xD

I get that a lot... ;)

SEM: ignore them (in 10 years time people like them will be working for you, and you can deal with such bigotry then). Either that or respond as I did at your age, by asking if they are looking to taste my third eye.

I get that a lot... ;)

SEM: ignore them (in 10 years time people like them will be working for you, and you can deal with such bigotry then). Either that or respond as I did at your age, by asking if they are looking to taste my third eye.

Now, I'll be very careful with how I take that! I'm used to the concept of managers having been promoted to get them out of the way because of their incompetence! I will however give you the benefit of the doubt and take it as a complement!  My usual response is "If you're asking then I'm sorry to disappoint... You'll find someone else.". That shuts them up...

Is it considered to be bigotry to assume someone to be homosexual when they're actually heterosexual? The modern education system would have you believe it's only bigotry if it's the other way round... same as sexism is obviously only discrimination against women...

And no, I'm not very good at conveying emotion in a theatrical manner!

And yes, I think that's a good idea Kevin... I'll be back later with the winding engines and a Greathead Shield! ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Does that man’s hat fit him properly?

[sEM: I was referring to the bigotry that links intelligence and sensitivity with sexual orientation. They are completely independent.]

Edited by Regularity

I was working on the idea of digging sideways, then upwards... ;)

Hence my suggestion for using a Greathead Shield! ;)

Then you can line out the hole you've dug and put a nice railway through it...

Edited by sem34090

Just returning from several days away on family business down  the  motorway, I find the CA thread has rolled on from mock Tudor.

I had been going to post a new outbreak this year of  mT stuck all over the outside of a humble 1940s rebuild of a WW II bombed building in the historic core of fortified Baroque Valletta.

Being Europe’s City of Culture 2018, this is a refurb of the 'Ordnance Pub'!

I read more controversial postings about artists’ sexuality -  seemingly including railway modellers - are we suggesting they ought to have snatched Eric Gill’s serifs off?

I maintain Caravaggio was unsurpassed at painting dark shadows despite those fatal stabbings he dealt when drunk.

Now may I controversially play Devil’s advocate about the Drill Hall?

I question whether the completed Drill Hall might perhaps overshadow the rest of CA; on its foreground site it literally upstages the settlement and its modest railhead. .

The CA project shares a wonderful Ahrons nostalgia for past fashions of doing things that now may even be tinged with a slight Melancholy.

So I’m wondering whether the Drill Hall could be modelled in a still to be completed state. Some of the most poignant relics of Empire are incomplete works (to be seen in a lot of Empires  - from Hellenistic Greece, through Aztecs to Spanish).

Rather than have the drum tower fully finished, I’d prefer to see pine scaffolding, a masons’ yard with the tracery to the big tower window laid out on a flat bed – and perhaps a slightly rusty human powered tram line to the WNR for materials.   For decades both Scott’s Anglican and Lutyens’s Catholic cathedrals had their attendant masons’ yards as permanent features of Liverpool's scene. .

These did not prevent either cathedral from being worshipped in and wondered at - just as the Drill Hall would be used as its more fanciful parts are still 'projected'

dh

hat, coat

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

Now may I controversially play Devil’s advocate about the Drill Hall?

I question whether the completed Drill Hall might perhaps overshadow the rest of CA; on its foreground site it literally upstages the settlement and its modest railhead. .

The CA project shares a wonderful Ahrons nostalgia for past fashions of doing things that now may even be tinged with a slight Melancholy.

So I’m wondering whether the Drill Hall could be modelled in a still to be completed state. Some of the most poignant relics of Empire are incomplete works (to be seen in a lot of Empires  - from Hellenistic Greece, through Aztecs to Spanish).

Rather than have the drum tower fully finished, I’d prefer to see pine scaffolding, a masons’ yard with the tracery to the big tower window laid out on a flat bed – and perhaps a slightly rusty human powered tram line to the WNR for materials.   For decades both Scott’s Anglican and Lutyens’s Catholic cathedrals had their attendant masons’ yards as permanent features of Liverpool's scene. .

These did not prevent either cathedral from being worshipped in and wondered at - just as the Drill Hall would be used as its more fanciful parts are still 'projected'

dh

hat, coat

The only problemette with the Catholic cathedral was all that got "finished" of Lutyens design was the crypt, and even that had exposed ragged ends of brickwork poking out at the Brownlow Hill end, all due to the rocketing costs for the grandiose building after WW2.  Gibberds concrete building, constructed in less than 5 years* and consecrated in 1967, sits on top of the Lutyens Crypt and in its depths there is the architects model of the 1930s plan...  Meanwhile, the Anglican cathedral, which was started in 1904 plodded on, with new sandstone blocks being added until completion in 1978.

As far as I know, there aren't any nicknames for the Anglican cathedral, but the Catholic cathedral is locally known as "The Mersey Funnel" and "Paddys Wigwam"...

* Being a bit of a rush job, construction flaws soon became apparent but were eventually repaired. 

Edited by Hroth

I guess that everyone who has ever been to Barcelona has visited the in-progress Sagrada Familia.

Everyone that is, except my youngest brother, who elected to go on a guided tour of the Camp Nou, Barcelona FC’s ground, and meet the rest of us for dinner afterwards. Unusual chap my bro. Not only this, but while we all flew there on EasyJet, he drove, all the way, in a Berkeley 3-wheeler with a 500cc engine, in which he then continued all the way to Almeria and back!

• Like 3

I guess that everyone who has ever been to Barcelona has visited the in-progress Sagrada Familia.

Everyone that is, except my youngest brother, who elected to go on a guided tour of the Camp Nou, Barcelona FC’s ground, and meet the rest of us for dinner afterwards. Unusual chap my bro. Not only this, but while we all flew there on EasyJet, he drove, all the way, in a Berkeley 3-wheeler with a 500cc engine, in which he then continued all the way to Almeria and back!

Where's the "Ye Gods" button when you need it?

Ah, but, Jim, I'd choose him if it was necessary.

All three of us have doggedly pursued the same hobbies that we had at age c10, right through to now ...... his was "stripping and rebuilding things with ludicrously under-powered two-stroke engines", which started with some random item of garden machinery, and now encompasses motor-scooters (about ten), motor-bikes (many), and cars (about three or four). One of the cars is actually quite a sensible one, being a c1960 SAAB 'Doctor's Saloon'.

• Like 6

A couple of pages back, post#15088 on.... Farm N.G railways were briefly discussed. The "Potato railway" at Nocton was mentioned. I have now uploaded my pictures of a visit arranged by the NGRS in 1954/5. in my gallery pictures. Poor quality due to being taken with a small  format point and shoot camera.

• Like 4