To accompany the official film....

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/MISCELLANY/BRITISH-RAILWAY-MISCELLANY/i-MLMkK54/A

A full list of runners and riders!

Never really relished the smell of melting plastic

I can see your point, I don't know what the plastic used in 3D printing would smell like, hopefully not as bad as the fish-like odour of overheated bakelite!

The heated area would have to be refabricated in brass, which is probably a litttle too much of a faff...

The one thing that really struck me watch that procession was just how under-boilered the original Claughtons were. It was also striking how the LNER and GWR contributions looked just exactly as you expect them to look - i.e. as they were in the 1950s* - but the best the LMS could rustle up was a Claughton and a Hughes 4-6-0. The best was yet to come, whereas for the others, they'd pretty much peaked: the basic Churchwardian and Gresleyan principles and look were already well-established.

*Only the Raven pacific would be out of place. BTW I noticed the Westinghouse pump on the Gresley pacific.

When you think of the Churchward design language in those terms, it shows what a shock the new GWR designs were compared to their immediate contemporaries, and the fact that the design principles held up well for the next 40-plus years says a lot for their soundness.

Weren't the Claughtons initially hobbled by out of date infrastructure weight restrictions?

• Like 1

The Pantheon is a magnificent building, despite the "ass's ears" of Bernini and the restoration of the upper tier of the interior, which rather disrupts the original proportions.

IMHO the Bexhill pavilion is also a magnificent building.

fixed that.

God gave us concrete so we could make classically designed structures more easily, not so architects could design brutalist and modernist eyesores.

5610.jpg?width=1065&quality=85&auto=form

The Bexhill structure is NOT brutalist. It's Streamline Moderne, and beautiful in that.

And for something similar AND railway related, we can take a trip 'oop North to Morcambe and visit the Midland Hotel

post-21933-0-02541700-1542464320_thumb.jpg

post-21933-0-42605900-1542464709.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Hotel,_Morecambe

Perhaps the only thing that goes against the hotel is that some decorative elements are by Eric Gill, an amazing artist with personal inclinations that would have him banged up in the slammer nowadays.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6

Perhaps the only thing that goes against the hotel is that some decorative elements are by Eric Gill, an amazing artist with personal inclinations that would have him banged up in the slammer nowadays.

To be fair to the 1930s his abuse, and would've got him locked up then if he'd been caught.

Edit - it seems the forum censors the correct words which describe Mr Gill's crimes. Fair enough.

Edited by brack

• RMweb Gold

Richard Crown had some oil for horse’s hooves in a tin with some steel wool. The tin was heated with a lamp and gave off the slightly acrid smell of mid-grade quality coal. He had this behind Courcelle (part) at the Spalding show about 10 years ago. How he came to the idea to combine the two to get the smell wasn’t clear.

The odour was not particularly pleasant, although a slight improvement on the whiff of sweaty armpits that sometimes permeates exhibitions...

I spent part of today doing some light permanent way work on one of the fisherman's tramways at Dungeness... Honestly, it's almost as if it was derelict, out of use and partially dismantled to look good for the photographers...

I managed to move the sole remaining wagon a good few yards though!

• Like 4

Well .......

Most agricultural field railways took ('take' in the case of sugarcane and palm-oil, for instance, which are still harvested this way) the produce either to a point of onward transport, or to a processing point (sugar factory, fruit packing plant, palm-oil plant that sort of thing), and relatively few went to a farmyard.

Where they did, it tended to be to carry waste from the processing, being used as animal fodder (see that article about Buscot, or the fact that Smith's railway at Nocton ran right into the pig pens), so a line into the 'model farm' to carry fodder is plausible, but the 'main show' would be a lot of lines straggling out into some big, desolate fields.

Some of the German beet railways did go into farmyards, which were a bit like little forts (the Airfix Waterloo Farm is similar in some ways, and the real thing, La Haye Sainte, sits in the middle of a lot huge, flat fields of arable crops - cabbages, I seem to remember!), quite compact. I can't access the German book easily, but I recall pictures showing a cobbled yard, with a wagon turntable in the middle, and tracks fanning out into byres. I think they kept oxen as draught animals, and fed them beet, and used the manure on the fields.

So ........ I think keep the farmyard fairly small, but maybe put alongside it potato chitting sheds, if we're growing potatoes, or a huge ugly factory if we're processing sugar.

PS: Actually, if that Airfix kit is still made, it might be feasible to re-dress it so as to fit the bill.

PPS: If you are going to get into this subject, you MUST buy a copy of one of the all-time greats of railway literature, The Lincolnshire Potato Railways. no library is complete without it, and the best libraries (my book shelf!) have both the first and second editions.

PPPS: Nocton made a second income from shooting parties, and had a coach to take them out onto the fields, so I'm sure WNSAC do the same.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Richard Crown had some oil for horse’s hooves in a tin with some steel wool. The tin was heated with a lamp and gave off the slightly acrid smell of mid-grade quality coal. He had this behind Courcelle (part) at the Spalding show about 10 years ago. How he came to the idea to combine the two to get the smell wasn’t clear.

The odour was not particularly pleasant, although a slight improvement on the whiff of sweaty armpits that sometimes permeates exhibitions...

George Douglas used to leave a kipper under the baseboards at Mallaig on his N gauge West Highland layout when it was at exhibitions.

• Like 3

That looks like real Decauville track, or Fowler clone, to me, and quite early - the sleeper-end shape is distinctive.

Must be 35 years more rust on it since I went and looked at those lines, on the same day that we rode round Lydd Ranges behind a Simplex. toggle through these photos http://deangoods.co.uk/sussexjpgfolder/images/11.html They're my photos, but I didn't write the daft captions!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

That looks like real Decauville track, or Fowler clone, to me, and quite early - the sleeper-end shape is distinctive.

Must be 35 years more rust on it since I went and looked at those lines, on the same day that we rode round Lydd Ranges behind a Simplex. toggle through these photos http://deangoods.co.uk/sussexjpgfolder/images/11.html They're my photos, but I didn't write the daft captions!

I do like the Range Observation Coach. With a little stove in a corner it would be quite cozy.  Perhaps a self-propelled battery operated version for bird watching. Imagine being able to trundle around a nature reserve on a cold and windy soggy day?  Or if you're of a terminal frame of mind, added firing slots for shooting duck.....

It could be named the "Elmer Fudd".

• Like 1

I no longer have the NGRS magazine Inviting members to a visit to a Potato Farm Railway. I went (and memory of where is a bit hazy) but I did get photos on a small format point and shoot camera.

I'll post a few when I can get them scanned.  This was in 1954/5 there was a coach propelled by a Simplex 

Edit... Belated edit but I have now uploaded my 14 pictures of the trip to the N G farm railway system at Nocton. They are in my Gallery listed as NGRS to Nocton 1954/5

Edited by DonB
  • Like 1

Never been a Flickr user, And not prepared to jump through the hoops to get access. (same applies to Facebook!) Luddites Anonymous !

Not sure that I was wearing a Gabardine Mac, I would have arrived by Motorbike, but certainly my pictures show such dress as the norm 

• Like 1

The centre section of the Drill Hall is more or less complete, and work has started on the round tower section.  The round tower is notionally one of the original gate towers for the castle's outer bailey, but has been so heavily 'restored' by the Victorian architect that it is indistinguishable from the later confections that surround it, save that the tower walls retain their original thickness, requiring deep reveals for the windows.

post-25673-0-01506000-1542612653_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-78541200-1542612709_thumb.jpg

• Like 6