20 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Jonathan,

I am sure I have been looking for something like this.  What 'G' number is it?  Is that a wall between the two sets of settees?  ("Mama, I need to toilet!" "Cross your legs and pray for a station dear."

I read it (L-R) as: sliding door (WC > Saloon), sliding door (Saloon > Saloon), hinged door (Saloon > Coupé).

Interesting to see that the wall into the Coupé is shown as being padded - presumably to ensure some kind of sound insulation for those in the swivel chairs.

Pete S.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, sem34090 said:

I'm afraid to say that it's a steel solebar! Not too hard to make into a wooden one though. The chassis is a standard Bachmann one as used under ex-Mainline wagons.

It looked like a deep wooden solebar, and that's certainly what I'd expect to see on such a short coach.

If you want smaller wheels, Allan Gibson does 12mm Mansells

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Annie said:

And after a bit of struggle because I couldn't get a couple of details to go how I wanted this is the final version of my W.N.R composite saloon coach.  I don't think I will be needing anymore than three W.N.R. coaches and more than likely all three being seen together at the same time while attached to a passenger train heading for Hopewood on Sea would be a rare event.  I can see the composite saloon being hired out and  being a regular visitor to the tramway on its ownsome during Summer though.

BsH0DLm.jpg

Annie, thinking on your magnificent saloons, I see them as "picnic saloons", ideal for day trips.  Third Class saloons tended to be day saloons for an outing, e.g. to the races. 

For long distance family travel, I would expect not only a loo, but a luggage and servant's compartment.  I think the WN might afford valets and lady's maids Second Class status, the saloon compartment itself reserved for the First Class family.

21 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

This is the saloon for warring families, Diagram G11. No door between sections and no conveniences. there are other "double" saloons like this.

Jonathan

NG_1st_class_double_saloon_Diagram_G11.jpg

A good precedent for a First Class "picnic" saloon. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

No tables - no picnic.

True, I merely mean to distinguish between the sorts of Saloons hired for a day out, both First and Third Class, for which Annie's designs seem ideal, and the sort of accommodation found in a saloon of the type hired by wel-to-do families for long journeys with servants and luggage.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Anyhow, just managed to get hold of my pictures.

Highlight of my London trip; a terminus for the terminated ...

DSCN7862 - Copy.JPG

Perhaps they ought to record one of those programmes in the offices, involving highly impressionable individuals and low-light-intensity cameras?  Do you think the current tenants know anything about the former use of the building?

:scared:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I think that we may now regard the Drill Hall as substantially complete. Phew.

DSCN8088.JPG

DSCN8085.JPG

DSCN8092.JPG

DSCN8093.JPG

A masterpiece. I particularly like the photos taken from further down the hill.

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi che entrate.....

71823968_WereDoomed!.jpg.0d7604212c18766a48a8221f28862dc5.jpg

Another of those Scots-Italians, like the Mrs Livornese we bed-and-breakfasted with in Edinburgh one time - "you'll be wanting your tea". 

And yes, I know he's not placing his order...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

At times it's seemed purgatorial, but I wouldn't quite go that far!

Point of order: it was over the gate of Hell that that inscription ran; Purgatory is an altogether more hopeful place - once in, one's on a certainty.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Point of order: it was over the gate of Hell that that inscription ran; Purgatory is an altogether more hopeful place - once in, one's on a certainty.

That was rather my point, Stephen, it may have seemed purgatorial, but never Hellish!

Anyway, it might be as well to recuperate with some Norfolk vernacular, away from such over-ornamented Victoriana. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

James that is absolutely stunning!!! I never want to see you saying anything negative about your modelling again!! If however you do feel down about your abilities in the future, just look at that drill hall and remember you are a master craftsman when it comes to buildings!!

Gary

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

- "you'll be wanting your tea". 

She must have been from Glasgow.  The usual greeting when visiting in that city in the east is 'You'll have had your tea?'

Jim

Edited to add that that drill hall is absolutely fabulous.  There are not sufficient superlatives to adequately describe it!

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Annie, thinking on your magnificent saloons, I see them as "picnic saloons", ideal for day trips.  Third Class saloons tended to be day saloons for an outing, e.g. to the races. 

For long distance family travel, I would expect not only a loo, but a luggage and servant's compartment.  I think the WN might afford valets and lady's maids Second Class status, the saloon compartment itself reserved for the First Class family.

'Picnic Saloon', - for some reason the name eluded me.  Yes that's very much these coaches role; day trips to the seaside, Sunday School picnics, annual outing of the Bishops Tenpenny Horological Society.........

I did try out some ideas with saloon coaches of the longer distance kind, but nothing that I consider anywhere near finished yet.  But I did reskin an 1870s  4w coach just to see what it might look like.  Unfortunately the texture masks for this coach are done in such a way I can't place any lettering in the waist panels.

0vJNgCj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks James.  The Hopewood Tramway has one or two of these old coaches, but they are in the dusty plain red livery favoured by that company so it was rather nice putting one of them into green and cream.

Edited by Annie
appalling grammatical errors
  • Like 2