12 hours ago, webbcompound said:

All this bemoaning the Fairy Battle, when it was a pretty typical 30s design. The Me110 and the Ju87 Stuka were rapidly withdrawn when the Luftwaffe lost air superiority. The Me110 re-emerged as a night fighter, but so did the Boulton Paul Defiants, and an aircraft with two crew was at an advantage in the radar eqipped night war. The reason Fairy Battles didn't appear in this role might be that they were all shot down in suicidal daytime bombing raids in the 1940 campaign

Please excuse a possibly ignorant question, but was not the Battle airframe used for the Fulmar?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Superb-looking. All credit to Robert Surtees and Sharp, Stewart & Co for designing such a temptingly modellable locomotive! The SECR is gaining critical mass. All that's needed now are some appropriate carriages to run with the full Wainwright version of this and the Hornby H - at least Harry would be able to claim some credit for those.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

Us coarse people are faithfully promised a D next year too, a tribute to a huge Gauge 3 (IIRC) model produced by Bing (again IIRC) before WW1, so it will be interesting to see whether the doubtless fine 00 one or the chunky tin one gets to market first.

I’m, naturally, agonising about which livery to order; the SECR is simply splendid, but rather out of keeping with most of my engines, so it’s likely to be SR green, although, oddly, I think that the BR lined black is in some ways a better fit on this class.

• Like 4

As discussed in my thread, if clean and shiny it looks really good, and no livery really looks all that wonderful if allowed to become too grubby.

The Penrhyn Quarry Railway used the same, but with sky blue instead of the cream and grey, and that looks perfect too.

Why does lining ‘lift’ black? What is going on in the eye and the brain? Maybe I should get my car lined in LNWR style, because a plain black car looks either smart, or grubby, and the smart period lasts all of ten seconds.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

All credit to Robert Surtees and Sharp, Stewart & Co for designing such a temptingly modellable locomotive!

The outline with the smooth flowing curves that make this so tempting (buying is not modelling!) owes nothing to Surtees nor Sharp, Stewart. 
That much was due to Wainwright, who had them draw Surtees design (from a mechanical perspective) drawn out full size so that he (Wainwright) could fair-in the lines and turn something very mechanically effective and already quite good-looking (check the LCDR M3 class) into an outstanding piece of Edwardian elegance.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Regularity said:

The outline with the smooth flowing curves that make this so tempting (buying is not modelling!) owes nothing to Surtees nor Sharp, Stewart. 
That much was due to Wainwright, who had them draw Surtees design (from a mechanical perspective) drawn out full size so that he (Wainwright) could fair-in the lines and turn something very mechanically effective and already quite good-looking (check the LCDR M3 class) into an outstanding piece of Edwardian elegance.

That's interesting; the story that Wainwright was responsible for the appearance of these engines is often repeated. I'm curious to know what the evidence for it is. I'm sure I've read the full-sized drawing story as relating to the laying-out of the livery, rather than the metalwork.

The flowing curve of the splashers is a trope of late 19th century 4-4-0s. Aspinall used it, for one. Parker and Pollitt's MS&LR engines had a flatter section between the drivers, rather than the reverse curve, in a similar manner to Johnson's earliest Midland engines. I was just reading that the full reverse curve (as on Beatrice) may be attributable not to Johnson but to Edward Snowball at Neilson's, who modified the drawings of a batch of Johnson 2-4-0s Neilson's were building. 

Sharp, Stewart had of course built quite a number of Johnson 4-4-0s with this full curved style.

So if Wainwright did draw out the cosmetic details, he didn't do anything terribly novel in the process; late Victorian rather than Edwardian elegance.

Nevertheless, the D is a handsome engine; in so far as they were effective, that's to Surtees' credit.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I had a splendid time at York today.  Thanks to NRM for their hospitality. I renewed a number of acquaintances  and made some more.  It was good to meet Andy Y, Jenny Emily and Mike the Stationmaster in the flesh, and to meet Living Legends like Chris Leigh.

1731218123_IMG_3502-Copy.JPG.7a1fbf13c145f4c9a2fafc7990471e06.JPG

What is everyone looking at?  That would be the D ...

1293234455_IMG_3503-Copy.JPG.cf28c30d2cdf0a5dec6857f830204871.JPG

Now that I have been outed in the presence of the Great and the Good, I can admit that I have a part in the D project, though I have to say that Dapol designer, Andy Forty, is so on top of his game that I am sure that my twopenneth can hardly have been necessary. It is fascinating to be involved through the various stages of the process. 

1277392512_IMG_3560-Copy.JPG.d52ea2bace75df5b620c07b125138a92.JPG

My involvement with the Rails SE&CR van was also revealed; Guy Rixon's crucial involvement had been previously disclosed.  A couple of production vans were on display - not samples - so these will be delivered to customers over the next few weeks. 

IMG_E3527.JPG.317e93d6aaf39d1b8d75cdb01f536f05.JPG

IMG_E3529.JPG.113135a9b7ad98cc93fb3e957224ecd9.JPG

Finally, the latest livery samples of the Terrier were on display.  I am familiar with these as I have been part of the sample review.  New livery charts have been drawn up as a result.  I am particularly grateful to the Stationmaster for his help with GWR No.5. One of the joys of this kind of work are the interesting, charming and knowledgeable people one gets to talk to, like Mike and Guy. 

My particular favourite of the latest crop announced is 643 in umber. 

1971362217_IMG_3557-Copy.JPG.7d2e70dab08f95952f6488beb08fd05c.JPG

684035892_IMG_3558-Copy.JPG.4a811784b8b2ce7f4dc86b875137b5ee.JPGJenny takes a closer look ...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I had a splendid time at York today.  Thanks to NRM for their hospitality. I renewed a number of acquaintances  and made some more.  It was good to meet Andy Y, Jenny Emily and Mike the Stationmaster in the flesh, and to meet Living Legends like Chris Leigh.

What is everyone looking at?  That would be the D ...

Apparently, the engine in the background of the first photo was built to some drawings of Surtees', that were his first draft of the Class C 0-6-0 done before Harry Wainwright got back from lunch. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Apparently, the engine in the background of the first photo was built to some drawings of Surtees', that were his first draft of the Class C 0-6-0 done before Harry Wainwright got back from lunch. 

sorry I always think the first engine as been a think of necessary beauty

lucky enough or old enough to have seen it in steam

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
pp spelling as usual
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't passing judgement on the Q1's appearance, merely suggesting that Harry Wainwright might. Indeed, by suggesting it might owe something to Surtees (and why not, it's a Southern 0-6-0, there must be some design tradition behind it), I'm paying it a compliment.

10 hours ago, Annie said:

05028-no-5-beaudesert-0-6-0st-fox-walker

No.5 Beaudesert 0-6-0ST Fox Walker 266-1875  supplied to Cannock and Rugeley Collieries.  Scrapped 1964.

A local engine!  (Well, for me at least).  There were some real oddities/ ancient relics running in the area until relatively late (into the late 1950s to mid 1960s) but sadly most of them went to the scrapman (though the preserved LBSCR E1 owes its survival to being sold to the Cannock and Rugeley Colleries in 1927). 

Other CRC locomotives:

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/ncb-west-midlands-division-area-2-locomotives/cannock-rugeley-colliery-co-locomotives/

Cannock Chase Colliery locomotives:

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/ncb-west-midlands-division-area-2-locomotives/cannock-chase-colliery-co-ltd-chasetown/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Originally a broad gauge station, with Tudoresque buildings by Brunel. The goods shed is at an angle to the running lines, which I suppose was one reason for retaining the access by wagon turntable. Also, there was rather limited space between the passenger station and the broad bridge on which the photographer was standing. Incidentally, Yate is on the Bristol & Gloucester main line - it was the junction for the Thornbury branch, the signals in the photo being the junction home signals.

Charfield and Frocester had similar layouts. At Yate and Charfield, these had been supplemented by the usual lay-bye sidings with trailing connections to the running lines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

The photo immediately struck me as being unusual and I wondered a little at it being very much a Broad Gauge type of layout with a wagon turntable.  Not being familiar with the area or the Thornbury branch I left the matter there to think about later.

Now that you've filled in some more details Mr Compound I shall have to get the maps out and look at it more closely.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Annie said:

An interesting goods yard set up at Yate on the Thornbury branch.  Amazingly it survived until 1951.

A fascinating "Bleak Mid Winter" photo.

Wonderful!

If the layout were to be modelled, I suppose it would be with the (dummy) wagon turntable set for the main line to the goods shed, a pick up goods could drop a couple of wagons into the shed or collect them without having a loco traverse the turntable.

Edited by Hroth
added thort
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Now that just screams out to be modelled, what an interesting combination of features.

And measuring up on the old maps the whole station and goods complex could be done in 10' x 2'6" without compression in 4mm! Oh dear...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

Colin French of MKMRC has a really neat mini-layout in 0 scale, which revolves around a wagon turntable, and by a variety of slights of hand, invisible bits of piano wire etc, he replicates capstan shunting very convincingly, so it can be done. It keeps the audience at exhibitions very much entertained.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Donw said:

It would work ok if you hd a horse to use for shunting or in later days a tractor. See how it can be done in 2mm scale 

Truly astonishing video!

Very engrossing , I watched the entire video captivated. I (and I suspect James) could never aspire to a Laurie Adams micro-electronic 2mm world where realism is all perched on the flip side of a PCB - if only one could see it "from a distance of 2-3 ft."

But I did get sidetracked (geddit?) into recalling Station Road, Yeovil being the headquarters of Stephen Potter's one-upmanship correspondence course in  "Gamesmanship" and "Lifemanship"  My Grandfather used to buy me the latest for my Christmas/Birthday; I'm not sure what good it did me.

image.png.fb53e2ff99c1f3442d688e8f6dc9f6e9.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

If the layout were to be modelled, I suppose it would be with the (dummy) wagon turntable set for the main line to the goods shed, a pick up goods could drop a couple of wagons into the shed or collect them without having a loco traverse the turntable.

That's fine; it would make a great 'watching the trains go by station' . I'm quite good at building non-operable pointwork now!

1 hour ago, Anotheran said:

And measuring up on the old maps the whole station and goods complex could be done in 10' x 2'6" without compression in 4mm! Oh dear...

Oh dear, indeed.  

That's just, well, too damned possible!

3 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Truly astonishing video!

Very engrossing , I watched the entire video captivated. I (and I suspect James) could never aspire to a Laurie Adams micro-electronic 2mm world where realism is all perched on the flip side of a PCB - if only one could see it "from a distance of 2-3 ft."

But I did get sidetracked (geddit?) into recalling Station Road, Yeovil being the headquarters of Stephen Potter's one-upmanship correspondence course in  "Gamesmanship" and "Lifemanship"  My Grandfather used to buy me the latest for my Christmas/Birthday; I'm not sure what good it did me.

image.png.fb53e2ff99c1f3442d688e8f6dc9f6e9.png

Oh those were great books.  I particularly liked the one about how to be a character in your club.

• Agree 1