Back from Hartlepool, which turned out to be quite a social as two members of my MRC were visiting, another one exhibiting, Mr Wealleans was demonstrating, who put me on to Peter Simmerson, Stuart from Locomotion was there and I claimed kin with Buhar and Drmditch, whose scratch-built snow plough was the unofficial star of the show, so far as I was concerned. 

IMG_5184.JPG.f39213706acbe2aff31963b8925ec4bf.JPG

• Like 10

2 hours ago, wagonman said:

For REALLY serious stuff I use a Hasselblad with a Phase One back, or various flavours of Nikon DSLR for when I'm trying to avoid a hernia.

's ok for some....   A Bronica etrsi loaded with Pan F, or if I really want to faff about, an MPP Mk VII, but its ages since I've done proper traditional photography!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

There is a superb slot-in-post signal that I was pleased to examine, as I've long thought that some might have survived on the WNR, which is of a suitable vintage for them.

I would have thought that after Abbots Ripton (1876) slotted signals would have been banished from even the WNR!

• RMweb Premium

Capt. Tyler outlined nine "important remedies to be considered with a view to the avoidance of such collisions" of which the first two related diectly to signalling equipment:

1. Improvement in the apparatus of fixed-signals, to prevent them as far as possible from becoming inefficient during frost and snow, and to cause them to afford indications too the signalmen when they cease working, or are not working properly.

2. Improvement in the working of fixed signals, by keeping them habitually at danger instead of at all-right, so as to render them less liable to stick in the more dangerous position of all-right.

Neither of these recommendations specifically mention the slot-in-post design, which remained widely used - in any case replacing all such signals would be a big task that could not be accomplished overnight. The Board of Trade had no powers of compulsion; it is to the credit of the Great Northern that the company went on to develop and deploy somersault signals. Capt. Tyler also had much to criticise in the working practices, judgement, and conduct of some of the railwaymen involved.

Long after the last slot-in-post signals were replaced, there were accidents in which signals giving false readings due to the effect of frost and ice on the signal-wires was a contributory factor, e.g. at Bromford Bridge in 1913.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

's ok for some....   A Bronica etrsi loaded with Pan F, or if I really want to faff about, an MPP Mk VII, but its ages since I've done proper traditional photography!

No Mamiya 645 with  FP4  c1981  ( although too weak nowadays to use one )  loading the film on a spiral was a flaff especially the 220 !

Nick

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ah, MPP Mk.VII – now you're talking! I have one of those though it's on long term loan to a friend of mine http://www.franceskearney.com. Real photography is when you have a black cloth over your head as you squint at the ground glass through a magnifier. I also have a Linhof monorail and an ancient wooden 10" x 8" all left over from when I used to scrape a living from taking snaps. Well not the digital stuff obvs.

7 minutes ago, brianusa said:

It would appear that ex military men handled enquiries such as this for the BofT.  Any good reason for doing so? 

Brian.

They were always from the Royal Engineers which had a railway department in those days. Plus they were already on the payroll...

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That early signalling installation at Didcot always fascinates me - its the Emmett/Heath-Robinson nature of it all, with wires, rods, chains, stays, and every other contrivance, above and below, which gives it special appeal.

I don't recall that they do electric telegraphy though. Will have to investigate further.

• Like 3

On 15/09/2019 at 16:05, Annie said:

Black is the only colour for a BR diesel.  Once they got silly ideas about painting them other colours it all went their heads and look what happened.

Green has a certain je ne sais quoi about it. Perhaps because mixed in with them were things that still burned coal. Its when the blue paint came out that it all went downhill.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

At Didcot yesterday I had much of the site to myself. Tired after the early start and long drive on Friday I was feeling rather lonely and was waxing melancholic, haunted by the adagio of Mahler's 4th playing in my head; long a favourite and heard on the radio some days before.  The broad gauge end of the line was deserted and I found my mood slowly recovering as I poked around its infrastructure and primal gloom of the transfer shed.

IMG_5009.JPG.7ff0a3b40fa02e5b70b2c2532be05f47.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG.975d05b8ff2bc12d5362d91676d87b55.JPG

There is a superb slot-in-post signal that I was pleased to examine, as I've long thought that some might have survived on the WNR, which is of a suitable vintage for them. I had a good look at the scotches, which might still have been found in the remoter corners of the WNR. 

IMG_5067.JPG.bff42aff5a5e32da31d1651c530494d0.JPG

815035867_IMG_5077-Copy.JPG.173d1e195a457147d7e4b141b52a377b.JPG

Otherwise I was floating in a heavenly sea of disc and bar, bridge rail and baulk road. Annie, I'm sure, will appreciate these.

2011883_IMG_5081-Copy.JPG.8556787797fdd4a1292c75f135974ca6.JPG

1168930478_IMG_5101-Copy.JPG.07525d1c6c6a5fc0be0527e567ca7dcc.JPG

1157244483_IMG_5037-Copy.JPG.05d6d44a583daae556b69486e28d5a26.JPG

924026020_IMG_5018-Copy.JPG.be5539318c1b6ed9b747251be6739730.JPG

Ooooooooo yes!  Thank you so much for posting these pictures James.  Even if I had the money I'd never survive the long plane flight to get to Didcot so these pictures are much appreciated.

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I would have thought that after Abbots Ripton (1876) slotted signals would have been banished from even the WNR!

Don't be a spoilsport, - that signal is lovely  (and I am not denying your comment as historical fact by the way).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Green has a certain je ne sais quoi about it. Perhaps because mixed in with them were things that still burned coal. Its when the blue paint came out that it all went downhill.

Oh yes indeed.  A horrible time, the destruction of the railways, the collapse of civilization as we know it.

ZYTyX6M.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Annie said:

Oh yes indeed.  A horrible time, the destruction of the railways, the collapse of civilization as we know it.

ZYTyX6M.jpg

How appropriate, I note that famine is wearing blue. Perhaps that is an allegory for the loss of livelihood for the firemen.

Oh my oh my!

How fast CA pages suddenly sprint away: Dorchester on Thames and all things Edwardian and riverside: Ratty, Mole, and Toad; Three Men in a Boat.

I shall try and hunt out those drawings of Toad as a Washerwoman chatting up the driver oiling round a green single then the Constabulary in hot pursuit crammed aboard the footplate of a chartered special, brandishing truncheons whistles and moustachios (were they by Shepherd?).

Personally I find your modelling of CA , like Roye England's Pendon observation of buildings in a landscape, has a more satisfying verisimilitude than Ahron's Madder Valley.

In my 1940s years, I was impressed into admiring Ahrons 'picturesque' whimsy' in the magazines of the time by my dad's old RAF (Guinea Pig Club modeller) mates, and attempting to ape it. Looking at Much Madder now there is simply too much crowded in to together. Portmerion of "Prisoner" fame is like this at 1:1 scale

Actually the painted lettering and advertising across Ahron's  buildings rings absolutely true and tends to be edited out by C21 modellers of late V and Edwardian places.

Also I wonder how Pendon manages to keep all this 1930s modelling looking so fresh.

What I have always admired about Castle Aching is the raison d'être of its thoroughly believable spatial structure. This, i suggest, is why it so attracts us Parishioners to delight in embellishing its Soap Opera story line.

dh

PS

A year ago my dauntingly capable photographer daughter-in-law lured me into following her into a Huawei P20 pro - after my (far more expensive) iPhone failed just a a month out of warranty. The H has a Leica 3 lens camera that is extraordinarily good at synthesising Images you can fiddle with edit afterwards.

I hardly ever carry my bulky Nikon and its heavy lenses these days.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Oh my oh my!

How fast CA pages suddenly sprint away: Dorchester on Thames and all things Edwardian and riverside: Ratty, Mole, and Toad; Three Men in a Boat.

I shall try and hunt out those drawings of Toad as a Washerwoman chatting up the driver oiling round a green single then the Constabulary in hot pursuit crammed aboard the footplate of a chartered special, brandishing truncheons whistles and moustachios (were they by Shepherd?).

Oh please do  :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Off-thread again but do any of the erudite and learned members of this august forum know why there are bolt heads or nuts on the inside of the rims of the front bogie wheels of the Wainwright D class, between the spokes?  

Is it security for the wheel rims on the cast centres?  

Best to all.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Off-thread again but do any of the erudite and learned members of this august forum know why there are bolt heads or nuts on the inside of the rims of the front bogie wheels of the Wainwright D class, between the spokes?  

Best to all.

1280px-Ahrons_(1921)_Steam_Locomotive_Co

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, robmcg said:

Best to all.

The question came up on Tuesday, asked by, I think, Tony Wright or Chris Leigh.

We assume they relate to securing the tyre. 

2053677982_DSCN8501-Copy.JPG.cc2933d84f835ad368d4ce32ee4eca47.JPG

DSCN8552 - Copy.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Do you think the bolts into the tyre might be a post-accession Museum addition to keep the tyre in place?  The GWR suffered a major disaster on Christmas Eve 1874 at Shipton-on-Cherwell when a rivetted tyre on an admittedly ancient coach disintegrated, killing 34 passengers and injuring 69 more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipton-on-Cherwell_train_crash

Although a bolt on a bogie wheel is more inspectable, I'm still surprised that such a fixing method would be countenanced.

As for your slotted signal, given the rule that all signals should stand at danger as the default it would be safe as the starter, and perfectly in keeping with the ambience of CA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Do you think the bolts into the tyre might be a post-accession Museum addition to keep the tyre in place?  The GWR suffered a major disaster on Christmas Eve 1874 at Shipton-on-Cherwell when a rivetted tyre on an admittedly ancient coach disintegrated, killing 34 passengers and injuring 69 more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipton-on-Cherwell_train_crash

Although a bolt on a bogie wheel is more inspectable, I'm still surprised that such a fixing method would be countenanced.

As for your slotted signal, given the rule that all signals should stand at danger as the default it would be safe as the starter, and perfectly in keeping with the ambience of CA.

They appear to be the heads of screws, perhaps as Annie's picture suggests.  Their positions are certainly marked on the works drawings for the wheels and the prominent heads can be seen on this as-built picture of  740.

1954061321_IMG_5209-Copy.JPG.a6b9a85ddb6a6077663c89c39a538e7b.JPG

1139303455_DSCN8497-Copy.JPG.594317ced011ddcdb9be70d6107602bc.JPG

1715395875_740atAshfordinoriginalconditionKM-Copy.JPG.4c34ac8c9695cc6b1519d8b7b4f14d93.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

I think that bolts persisted for securing tyres on carrying wheels, because no appreciable torque was meant to be transmitted through them unless they had brakes, and even then not as much as via a driving wheel. I think that where high torques are involved a securing ring is used because it creates a greater area under securing force.

The other issue is that a bolt or WHY, or rather the blind hole threaded to accept it, creates a localised concentration of stress, and probably, if viewed very closely indeed, a tiny non-concentricity in the tyre surface.

Mr H is better qualified than I in this area, so will correct if I’m wrong.

K

• Like 1
  • Agree 1