2 hours ago, Annie said:

And the idiots just let four cruise ships in and at least one of them had COVID-19 infected people on board.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the Bondi Beach photos.  Some people are just complete idiots.

Bulk toilet paper heists seem to be turning up as a news item, - or so I noticed when I was reading the Telegraph last night.

The NSW government shut down Bondi beach Saturday due to people crowding there in Fridays 36 degree day, violating the 4m distance rule that hadn't been announced til Friday afternoon  - while they were on the beach rather than listening to the latest rule announcements. Everyone had to pack up and leave and catch the bus and trains etc back home.....

The NSW police minister while announcing the closure stated that the Friday incident was the most irresponsible thing he'd seen in relation to the Covid outbreak. Strange, everyone else here thinks the most irresponsible thing so far was his government letting  2467 newly arrived cruise ship passengers disembark at Sydney and disperse to the 4 winds, just before 3 passengers tested positive for the virus and 156 had reported sick during the cruise. That was on Friday too, the same day all the irresponsibles were enjoying the surf.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

OMG

I've just done this livestream interview for Jenny Kirk's virtual expo on Youtube.

It turns out I sound like Boris Johnson

(aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrchhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I don't know what Boris Johnston sounds like, but I thought what you had to say was interesting to listen to and it was plain it was a topic that you were well informed about and also enthusiastic about.  I could have done with teachers like you James when I was in High School.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

It worse than that, I've just bought the last box of Earl Grey from our local Sainsbury's....  

Fortunately being a tea enthusiast I'm always well stocked.  But if there is an Earl Grey tea shortage that could well add significantly to the trials of enduring this present plague.

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

'In which we Serve'

Written by: Noel Coward

Directed by: Noel Coward

Starring: Noel Coward

Co-starring: Noel Coward dressed-up as another bloke

Love Interest: Celia Johnson (how could I forget)

Orchestration: Elon Wardoc

Naval Gazing: Noel Coward

Navel Gazing: Noel Coward

Best Boy: Lon Drawcoe

Grip: Nel Rawcordo

etc......

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Annie said:

Fortunately being a tea enthusiast I'm always well stocked.  But if there is an Earl Grey tea shortage that could well add significantly to the trials of enduring this present plague.

Not for me. Hate the stuff.

Hopefully, no shortage of Rooiboos.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Now they've shut the boozers, Morrison's wine shelves were stripped this afternoon.  Yes, the Great Hand-Washed have panic-bought all the wine.

Now I know this is the Apocalypse.

No wine, yes, dreadful.

But no wine at Morrison’s?

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Bell tea, my dear.   I don't feel alive until I've had my cup of Bell tea.

As to teachers, I was lucky, pressed by circumstance into the academic stream at Hutt Valley High School in the 60s, I had brilliant teachers, especially in maths, history, and physics.  A slightly older brother was dux so I had a lot to live up to.   At 17 I discovered girls, then fast British motorbikes.  Success to success, really.   That's why I'm where I am today, cowering in a darkened room, a battered copy of 'The Rise and Fall...  ' in the corner.

ah.   no....  wait....     

Suddenly I remember, this thread is about Norfolk , approximately,  or Cornwall,   drat.   :)

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Written by: Noel Coward

Directed by: Noel Coward

Starring: Noel Coward

Co-starring: Noel Coward dressed-up as another bloke

Love Interest: Celia Johnson (how could I forget)

Orchestration: Elon Wardoc

Naval Gazing: Noel Coward

Navel Gazing: Noel Coward

Best Boy: Lon Drawcoe

Grip: Nel Rawcordo

etc......

This film has been discussed on this thread before.

Inspired by: Lord Louis Mountbatten

Original 'inspiring speech' material: Lord Louis Mountbatten

The naval officer most likely to place his ship(s) in the wrong place at the wrong time: Lord Louis Mountbatten

(Probably excepting the sinking of the Kelly - on which the film is based.)

Only contributor to the film with an ego greater than that of Noel Coward: Lord Louis Mountbatten.

Comment by a later colleague of Lord Louis : "Dickie, you are so twisted that if you swallowed a nail you would s**t a corkscrew'

Nonetheless, for a morale booting 1942 patriotic epic it's rather fun.

Also noted in the credits , along with the galaxy of contemporary and future British icons, including her father a very young Juliet Mills.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

26 minutes ago, drmditch said:

This film has been discussed on this thread before.

Inspired by: Lord Louis Mountbatten

Original 'inspiring speech' material: Lord Louis Mountbatten

The naval officer most likely to place his ship(s) in the wrong place at the wrong time: Lord Louis Mountbatten

(Probably excepting the sinking of the Kelly - on which the film is based.)

Only contributor to the film with an ego greater than that of Noel Coward: Lord Louis Mountbatten.

Comment by a later colleague of Lord Louis : "Dickie, you are so twisted that if you swallowed a nail you would s**t a corkscrew'

Such self-aggrandisement is only to be expected if your family goes from being a cake to a geographical feature .............. ^_^

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've got a mount of battens in the garage, for when I eventually build a proper layout. I did eat a miniature example of the eponymous cake yesterday, through the good offices of that noted Edwardian baker, Mr Kipling.

"Do you like Kipling?"

"I don't know, I've never kippled."

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Re: Kipling (Rudyard)

Can recommend most of the short stories. An entry to a different and sometimes surprising world.

At the current time, 'The Village that Voted the Earth was Flat'.

For the railway (LSWR) interest, 'My Sunday at Home'.

As for the cakes, I prefer to make my own.

(Except on Fridays.)

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

But no wine at Morrison’s?

With no pubs or winebars, people are becoming desperate.

Whats more concerning is that Aldi "wine" shelves are emptying rapidly too....

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I did eat a miniature example of the eponymous cake yesterday, through the good offices of that noted Edwardian baker, Mr Kipling.

Good writer too!  :jester:

4 hours ago, drmditch said:

Also noted in the credits , along with the galaxy of contemporary and future British icons, including her father a very young Juliet Mills.

Prior to IWWS, there was a profile of John Mills. Some of the interviews were rather obsequious...

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Once free of the immediate demands of dogs and children (feeding same)

You fed your children to the dogs? 
Or was it vice versa?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, Buhar said:

Clearly the next item should be a Maryport & Carlisle horse box.  2 built in 1882, one lost in 1884 (believed stolen by the Furness) the other survived until 1919 as a potato store at Aspatria. No known photographs or drawings exist so little research is required.  If needed I can supply dimensions of a Cumbrian potato.

My miniature M&CR is set in 1908-14 so a few years to go before downgrading to a tatie store in 'speatry: 

DSC01653.JPG

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

40 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The sort of situation that, frankly, could go either way. 

I feel sorry for the dogs.  In one case they get eaten by viscous  creatures, or in the other case they get to have to eat the revolting things!

Actually as a teacher for 26 years, I love the little dears, really - I just could never eat a whole one!

Julian

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, Annie said:

I don't know what Boris Johnston sounds like, but I thought what you had to say was interesting to listen to and it was plain it was a topic that you were well informed about and also enthusiastic about.  I could have done with teachers like you James when I was in High School.

He had been notoriously shy, but now gives us daily briefings, which must be a comfort for a nation in trauma.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

IMG_8015.JPG.018f9f5d6e98323a15144d3ef2a223c1.JPG

Ouch, wonky numberplate. The corner plate at the RH end could have done with a bit more careful rounding. Hopefully the brake side looks better. The 3-links are Slaters, which have a finer hook than Smiths and so consequently harder to couple up - if you're usinging Smiths or similar, I won't be offended if you change them. No interior detail on this one, IIRC, or weighting, so a coal load - North Warwickshire's finest - would be in order.

Re. comparisons with B.S. Johnson - you've explained how unprepared you were; this confirms how unprepared he always is.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I feel sorry for the dogs.  In one case they get eaten by viscous  creatures, or in the other case they get to have to eat the revolting things!

Actually as a teacher for 26 years, I love the little dears, really - I just could never eat a whole one!

Julian

As a pupil for 13 years, you won't mind me pointing out that this is a viscous creature ....

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1