24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

From what I read in the papers, once the current crisis is over, the courts will be busy with commercial litigation and contentious insolvency cases.

One can only hope

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, runs as required said:

Dominic Cummins someone had directed him to sit next to Nadine Doris after she had returned having recovered from the Covid-19 virus. 

At least the current Health Secretary didn't feed an innocent child a possibly BSE infected burger, though someone (allegedly) would probably think it a good idea ....

I've had an exciting day today, I mowed the lawn.  Outdoor exercise, and more than 2 m away from anyone else! :dancer:

Actually, bu@@er this 2 metre lark, I've no instinctive notion of what two bl@@dy metres looks like, but I DO know what 6 ft looks like, so I just mentally convert metres into yards then feet.   Or if I really want to be contrary, I'll use fathoms...

Edited by Hroth
Unit of measurement altered to satisfy the critics...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've had an exciting day today, I mowed the lawn.  Outdoor exercise, and more than 2M away from anyone else! :dancer:

If I finally do our patch of grass (short "a") which cannot be dignified by calling it a lawn, I could easily be within 2 metres of someone choosing the spot for a lie down without even seeing them.

For those reading this late, I initially wrote 2m and was teased about not leaving a space. In correcting it I wrote it as meters. Oh the shame! 

Alan

Edited by Buhar
Compounded embarrassment and then to clarify the history. Should have left alone.
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

more than 2M away

34 minutes ago, Buhar said:

within 2m of someone

Alan silently corrects the unit symbol for the SI unit of length, the metre, to a lower case m. However, as a former metrologist, I cannot forbear to observe that the SI Brochure, paragraph 5.4.3, stipulates that there should be some social distance maintained between the numerical value and the unit symbol, thus: 2 m.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Alan silently corrects the unit symbol for the SI unit of length, the metre, to a lower case m. However, as a former metrologist, I cannot forbear to observe that the SI Brochure, paragraph 5.4.3, stipulates that there should be some social distance maintained between the numerical value and the unit symbol, thus: 2 m.

Have a care, the dissemination of such exacting observations could...        go viral!!

Julian

• Funny 3

54 minutes ago, Buhar said:

If I finally do our patch of grass (short "a") which cannot be dignified by calling it a lawn, I could easily be within 2m of someone choosing the spot for a lie down without even seeing them.

Cutting the grass is a pain in the arse....

Anyhow, they'd soon know you were too close when you gave them an involuntary haircut!

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

However, as a former metrologist, I cannot forbear to observe that the SI Brochure, paragraph 5.4.3, stipulates that there should be some social distance maintained between the numerical value and the unit symbol, thus: 2 m.

7 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Have a care, the dissemination of such exacting observations could...        go viral!!

Just keep taking the tablets...  :jester:

• Funny 2

On 24/03/2020 at 10:22, RedGemAlchemist said:

These are the ones I know. Seriously, a bread roll being called a cob? What kind of alien planet did you come from?

I wish. Then I could visit the Nene Valley Railway.

many have described the Black Country as an alien planet.

"Cob" seems to mean "bread roll" well outside the Black Country, too. Certainly I've heard it used in Leicestershire, and by Old Leicestershironians, and by people from Rugby. It might even creep into Northants.

In the swankier districts in The Home Counties, bread rolls are called Petit Pain Rustique, of course.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I think I just started a war over image manipulation in the Hornby Star thread, the GWR Star being an Edwardian-era creation by one G W Churchward I believe...     distinctly NOT an alien, as I understand it. He was a prominent gas-fitter in Burton-on-Trent, as we all know. Hroth will attest.

I would like to call in my defense, Your Honour, one 'Annie' (real name withheld for reasons of personal integrity) , a woman of impeccable character, who will give evidence that she has never seen any untoward image manipulation from me in her life and would surely die from apoplexy if she should ever be confronted by such an outrage.

Moving quickly along, I have in fact bought two s/h Hornby R3165 'Lode Star' models each in lovely order, and will accept bids from November this year, with guidance being in the range of 'far too much but I WANT one', rather in line with the panic which break our when the planned August 2020 4003 Lode Star model is deferred. 

4003_star_s-l1600ca.jpg.b5101f562c9b4cb346b36a390db06e1a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s a bit crap, anyway: when I was a student in the then town of Preston, a “barm cake” referred to a particular type of bread roll: large and flat and very capacious when it came to the matter of accommodating chips. Friends who studied near the Tyne referred to such rolls as “stotties”.

When I worked as a “weekend assistant” in the bread and cakes department of my local Waitrose store, a cob was most definitely a crusty roll, and a bun would be for burgers or would contain currants, and baps were floury (no sniggers, please!)

Which all suggests that using just the one word was a bit short of the mark in the survey, and not only was YouGov working on trivia, but doing it fairly badly.

Or maybe this simply reflects my “educated”, “middle class”, “region less” English accent?*

*I once had a colleague vehemently argue with me over the fact that - according to him - I couldn’t possibly have gone to my local state comprehensive followed by polytechnic, because I didn’t have a regional accent and didn’t drop my aitches. Not a posh accent, just not really an accent. Another colleague, who was from a francophone African country (so English wasn’t even his first language) said that this was rubbish, as he could detect the hint of my original Midlands, because  “sorry” sounded almost like “Surrey”. Which unfortunate inflection meant Josie Lawrence described herself as a worrier about women’s liberation, but was somewhat startled to read in print that she was a warrior for the movement!

Grass or grarss? Makes no difference to me - I was born and bred south of the linguistic isogloss, but have spent half my life living north of it. Mostly by just a few miles. (It’s essentially the River Welland, by the way.)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Actually, bu@@er this 2 metre lark, I've no instinctive notion of what two bl@@dy metres looks like, but I DO know what 6 ft looks like, so I just mentally convert metres into yards then feet.   Or if I really want to be contrary, I'll use fathoms...

FYI this is what two meters looks like -

smart-energy-meter-184304902-dccbbb1442504be1a8ffdb07a7b471bd (1) 2.jpg

smart-energy-meter-184304902-dccbbb1442504be1a8ffdb07a7b471bd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

How Very Suspect You Gov proves to be!

I agree cob is used now and again for a small inedibly hard bread roll in a posher restaurant*.

But never for the more common Stottie which was being spread throughout the nation by Greggs of Gosforth till the Plague hit.

dh

There was also a Scouse word which I now forget that small boys in serge uniforms would fetch for you into Corpy offices at dinner time.

edit

*I remember now, I heard it last in the Urban Splash regenerated Midland Hotel  on Morecambe promenade. 

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Actually, bu@@er this 2 metre lark, I've no instinctive notion of what two bl@@dy metres looks like

I have determined that two metres is near enough the combined length of my walking stick and arm when I push it firmly into an incautiously approaching person's chest.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

5 hours ago, Annie said:

I have determined that two metres is near enough the combined length of my walking stick and arm when I push it firmly into an incautiously approaching person's chest.

Just so long as the distance doesn't decrease due to pushing TOO firmly, leaving tidemarks at the end of the stick...

• Funny 5

6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Its all very well talking about gas and leccy meters, but what about water meters?

2059252501_WaterMeter.jpg.28b3cbfffa0d8eebd6362690755699f2.jpg

986721066_WaterMeter2.jpg.ba98a7e373f0b093a4d40279deb192dd.jpg

Here's two meters equalling a Fathom...

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Here's two meters equalling a Fathom...

In both cases, the same meter, twice. But I trust they are both calibrated. 

I had an experiment that I had to rebuild after a H&S inspection as it was four meters tall - the stack of measurement devices was, it has to be admitted, a little precarious.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, as a native of Leicestershire, I can certainly claim "cob" as pukka local usage.

As a young barrister on the Northern Circuit, I genuinely had no idea what a barm, or barm cake, was, until I encountered sandwich shops in Manchester; just like sandwich shops elsewhere, except with barms.

I have to say, having grown up with sensibly-sized "crusty cobs", I found barms something of an affront; too large white and and soft (or am I thinking of baps?) for my taste. I miss crusty cobs. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I found barms something of an affront; too large white and and soft (or am I thinking of baps?) for my taste.

You should try a "binlid"...

Binlid.jpg.7abb6f7c7c19154cf5f78a0a74b61257.jpg

https://www.bakestone.co.uk/product/bakestone-1-bin-lid/

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, as a native of Leicestershire,

As a native of Wimbledon I can only remember them being referred to as 'bread rolls'. Very prosaic, but rationing was still in force...

• Friendly/supportive 1