Settle and Carlisle: grim landslip

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - given the topography and the recent deluges it was probably only a matter of time before this route suffered too.

Back a few years suspect that something like this would have closed the line for good. Not now hopefully...

Phil

Can anyone confirm where exactly this landslip is.

I believe that it may be close to Low House crossing, north of Armathwaite, but have been unable to confirm this.

It looks to be at a location shown as Eden Brows wood on the 1:50k landranger. However the topography is almost the same at Barron Wood Park to the south of Armathwaite - if the photo was landscape it would be easier

It looks to be at a location shown as Eden Brows wood on the 1:50k landranger. However the topography is almost the same at Barron Wood Park to the south of Armathwaite - if the photo was landscape it would be easier

Indeed, this post from the Lamington thread gives the location as "Eden Brows near Low House Crossing".

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106597-wcml-blocked-lamington-viaduct-damaged/?p=2191387

Perhaps this will be it:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=54.8384&lon=-2.7894&layers=1

Ah, it's gone again. Despite Eden Brow's descriptive place name, the line's builders took the railway past the lip of the very steep drop into the river there which in retrospect is not as Network Rail would prefer. The river having removed the toe of the slope, a run of ground up to the height of the railway is moving and is taking the line with it.

Network Rail Manchester's Twitter feed has several informative video clips. (No need for a Twitter account to view them). Looking at them, I can't help worrying about a catastrophic collapse putting the workforce in danger. The 6" map has a spring marked some way back from the line for good measure.

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailMAN

Mark

• RMweb Premium

BBC Look North (North East & Cumbria) reported last night that the line will be closed for several months while the land slip is repaired. Doesn't sound good for the regular steam excursions, let alone for the timetabled Northern Rail passenger services or the freight runs.

• RMweb Premium

BBC Look North (North East & Cumbria) reported last night that the line will be closed for several months while the land slip is repaired. Doesn't sound good for the regular steam excursions, let alone for the timetabled Northern Rail passenger services or the freight runs.

I've just had an email from the Railway Touring Company saying that they've been told 8th May as a reopening date.  Their Winter Cumbrian Mountain Expresses are being rerouted via the Cumbrian Coast Route.

Adrian

I've just had an email from the Railway Touring Company saying that they've been told 8th May as a reopening date.  Their Winter Cumbrian Mountain Expresses are being rerouted via the Cumbrian Coast Route.

Adrian

Let's hope that the coast route doesn't fall victim to another big storm, then!

• RMweb Premium

Adrian

A thought that crossed my mind later (apologies for the thread divergence), The remaining services are booked to be hauled by the Duchess of Sutherland.  Is she cleared for the coast route ?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

It's very interesting how they manage to throw up access roads and things in these situations. Does Network Rail have some sort of powers to force landowners to allow them access? I presume they're paying the farmers well for the lost crops and so forth, but could they say 'on yer bike' and then NR be completely stuffed?

Railway Regulation Act 1842, Section 14, still in force:

Power for railway companies to enter upon adjoining lands to repair accidents.

"It shall be lawful for the lords of the said committee
[i.e. the Secretary of State for Transport] to empower any railway company, in case of any accident or slip happening or being apprehended to any cutting, embankment, or other work belonging to them, to enter upon any lands adjoining their railway for the purpose of repairing or preventing such accident, and to do such works as may be necessary for the purpose: Provided always, that in case of necessity it shall be lawful for any railway company to enter upon such lands, and to do such works as aforesaid, without having obtained the previous sanction of the lords of the said committee; but in every such case such railway company shall, within forty-eight hours after such entry, make a report to the lords of the said committee, specifying the nature of such accident or apprehended accident, and of the works necessary to be done, and such powers shall cease and determine if the lords of the said committee shall, after considering the said report, certify that their exercise is not necessary for the public safety: Provided also, that such works shall be as little injurious to the said adjoining lands as the nature of the accident or apprehended accident will admit of, and shall be executed with all possible despatch; and full compensation shall be made to the owners and occupiers of such lands for the loss or injury or inconvenience sustained by them respectively by reason of such works, the amount of which compensation, in case of any dispute about the same, shall be settled in the same manner as cases of disputed compensation are directed to be settled by the Acts relating to the railway on which such works may become necessary: Provided always, that no land shall be taken permanently by any railway company for such works without a certificate from the lords of the said committee as herein-after described."

In other words they have an absolute right to enter any adjoining land without notice or permission, but they must pay compensation and they must notify the DfT with 48 hours. The DfT can rescind the rights if they consider the works unnecessary.

At 500,000 tonnes, the slip is much bigger than the one at Harbury (350,000 tonnes).

It will be very interesting to see what Network Rail come up with in this case. The option of reducing the slope angle, like they did at Harbury, isn't an option, as it would block the river. Is there room to divert the railway away from the river at this location?

• RMweb Premium

That is one big slip and as Locoholic has pointed out there is very little scope to reduce the slope. I suspect that there will be some urgent works on the river bank to stop the erosion then a longer term job with some sort of retaining wall at some point. Looking at the photos there no scope for moving the rails further away from the river without a very expensive diversion and possible tunnel.

Just to help me is this slip north of Kirby Thore which would enable the gypsum traffic to run. Also presumably the empties for the logs from Ribblehead will have to go south to Preston and then up via Blackburn.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

It's a good thing it didn't go under a train. There are some heavy ones along there and the 56's certainly make the ground shake.

Ed

I reckon it might also be a good thing that the line isn't 'owned' by some sort of pension fund or city based hedge fund because I doubt they'd be bothered to do a decent spend on protecting their cheaply puchased 'investment'.

The landslip is north of Kirkby Thore, so should not affect the Gypsum traffic. It is between Carlisle and Armathwaite.

Simply lessening the slope does not appear to be an option, there are buildings close to the top of the slope.

Down by the river, the embankment finishes on the outside of a bend in the river, and part of the problem has arisen as erosion of the bottom of the bank has taken place when the river was in flood. The land above has slumped down to fill the void that has been left.

My wife made an interesting comment about the continuing problems in Cumbria. Geology is something that many perceive as taking place over thousands of years, but more often than not, the landscape changes due to catastrophic events. Cumbria currently finds itself in one of those events.

Geology is something that many perceive as taking place over thousands of years, but more often than not, the landscape changes due to catastrophic events.

This is a good point, the catastrophic events are often separated by very long periods of nothing, hence the perceived 'gradual' change. The cross-bedding in sandstone (for example) often represents successive flood/erosion events, but they could be years or hundreds of years apart.

Incidentally, this slip has been moving constantly since before the line opened but usually only a few cm a year, it was on the PW's list of "things to check after it rains". When it was sunny rather than raining they walked around the corner to check on the bit of unstressed CWR created by welding three 60 foot lengths together as a 'temporary measure' 20 years earlier.  

There is some confusion about the location of this landslip, caused as usual by miss-reporting in the Media. As 87029 has indicated, Eden Brows is just eight miles south of Carlisle between Cotehill and Low House Crossing. Because the trains are only running as far north as Appleby they keep saying that the problem is 'near Appleby', when in fact it is 23 miles north of Appleby Station. If recent rainfall levels continue, riverside erosion like at Eden Brows could become as serious as coastal erosion, with all the complications that will bring to infrastructure.

David.

Archived