The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Dads Army Film

Phil Bullock

Watched it today with the kids - who quickly worked out that the original cast were better.  The plot line is weak and the incompetence (especially Mainwaring) is overdone and wears very, very thin.  Yes, the original had its moments of slapstick, but was always quick to return to the resolve and bravery of the troop - which the new film eventually finds.  Not much evidence of wartime austerity, compared to the original.

Still some pleasant surprises - two members of the original cast, one in a reprise of his role (I'm not saying who).

And a few nice touches, e.g. "cometh the hour", the lack of currants, in homage to the original.

PS Mike - I didn't get the North by Northwest (my favourite Hitchcock film) allusion.

• RMweb Gold

Watched it today with the kids - who quickly worked out that the original cast were better.  The plot line is weak and the incompetence (especially Mainwaring) is overdone and wears very, very thin.  Yes, the original had its moments of slapstick, but was always quick to return to the resolve and bravery of the troop - which the new film eventually finds.  Not much evidence of wartime austerity, compared to the original.

Still some pleasant surprises - two members of the original cast, one in a reprise of his role (I'm not saying who).

And a few nice touches, e.g. "cometh the hour", the lack of currants, in homage to the original.

PS Mike - I didn't get the North by Northwest (my favourite Hitchcock film) allusion.

The North by Northwest bit is the two MI5 chaps in the black car - look at the camera angles.

One point which I think was important was to think of the cast, which is obviously different, playing roles and to try to avoid thinking of them playing the original characterisations - the latter could, I can understand, lead to disappoinment

• RMweb Premium

Everyone I have spoken to that doesn't remember / hasn't seen the original TV series found it to be a funny film in it's own right. 

I've yet to see it myself, but this gives me confidence that it will be worth a view when I get around to it.

I was in two minds whether to bother seeing this or not...so far "not" has won.

One thing I did wonder about - I assume that in these Politically Correct days, in this new film Corporal Jones does not fondly recall fighting "the Fuzzy Wuzzies".?? :nono: :scratchhead:

The top-ten highest grossing movies in 2015 were:

1 Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens

2 Jurassic World

3 The Avengers: Age of Ultron

4 Inside Out

5 Furious 7

6 American Sniper

7 Minions

8 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

9 The Martian

10 Cinderella

I am very pleased at number 7. A much underrated movie. I have the DVD. KING BOB!!!!! :jester:

• 3 months later...

Watched it via iTunes. Must admit didn't fancy going along to the cinema to watch it as A: was a bit sceptical in general and B: Well it was always something that was part of being at home with my feet up...... so to speak.

On the whole I was pleasantly surprised. I think Toby Jones (Manwaring) actually makes as good a job of it as anyone could be expected too. He obviously put a lot of time int getting Arthur Lowe's inflection as close as possible without it seeming impersonated. I even managed to warm to Michael Gambon's Private Godfrey, ho was always the character in the original series I most empathised with. Where I was a little disappointed was with Bill Nighy's portrayal of Sergeant Wilson. When I saw the cast list on first reports of the new film I actually thought he'd be a great choice. However he's just....... Bill Nighy. Maybe I was expecting too much

All in all not a bad film. Not a great one. Perhaps if they'd ditched the Holywood connection and gone for a different female lead, I might have given it four stars rather than three. But lets be honest, it was always going to be a very hard act to follow and those magical thirty minute comedy platforms so very rarely translated into feature length success anyway.

Dunno about the “Hollywood connection” but I don’t think it was ever released over here (USA)..........................

Let’s face it John LeMesurier always played himself too.

Apologies if I spelt John’s name wrong.

Best, Pete.

Simply watch the film as a new take on the same themes, trying to compare the characters to the original reduces enjoyment of quite a good film, not perfect, but a worthy effort. How can you replace the almost perfect cast that the Beeb had?  The old Dads Army altered from a closely plot scripted comedy to a much looser script playing directly to the strengths and weaknesses of each character, plot line became less important as the characters grew with the programme.

In a film, you only get one chance, and it works quite well in most scenes.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

I got the film on blu ray for fathers day and really enjoyed it. I thought that there was enough of the original TV series in it to be faithful to the spirit of the original but without just trying to be a replica production. The cast was excellent (as you'd expect), I thought that Michael Gambon was terrific but for me it was Toby Jones that impressed most as he walked a real tightrope between capturing the character of Mainwaring and not looking like a poor copy of the incomparable Arthur Lowe, it was a brilliant performance. The story was a bit far fetched but fun, it may not win any Oscars but it was an enjoyable, fun film.

I was really looking forward to seeing this film, it having been so hyped-up in advance but, whilst most appear to have enjoyed it, it didn't work for me at all I'm afraid. I can't work out why such a fine cast couldn't turn in a consistently convincing performance. Actually I can, the direction and scripting were poor and the last 25-30 minutes just plain ridiculous. It'll be a 'marmite' thing though and for most it seems to have worked.

Tony

Archived