The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Dads Army Film

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone been to see this yet?

Our local Cineworld in Cheltenham only has one showing a day at 20.45 so going over to Malvern to the 4.30 Matinee tomorrow along with Pierre Le Brun & the twin SWMBOs

Arrangement text was as follows:

Mr Brown comes up to Churchdown on the 8.21....

On querying why that didn't arrive until 12.00 I was informed its diverted via Walmington on Sea, including a visit to the Novelty Rick Emporium....

Don't panic!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling this will be like the 'new' Star Trek films, in that it won't really work for me because it feels strange seeing different actors playing the roles.

Isn't it actors playing the actors who were in the original?

I'll give it a go all the same.

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling this will be like the 'new' Star Trek films, in that it won't really work for me because it feels strange seeing different actors playing the roles.

The alternative being nothing, since it cannot be redone with the originals. Its certainly worth a try & according to earlier discussion, it seems like it could be very credible.

The original film back in the 1970s was a pretty sad and disappointing affair. As Tim said, this is actors playing the actors that played the characters from the woeful clips I saw the other day. I think for my own (and probably even more those around me) sanity, I'll pass on this one.

• RMweb Gold

I think you may be confusing this with the story of how Dad's Army came to be (which has been televised recently and fits your description). From the clips I've seen, the main issue I had was that "Mainwaring's" voice was quite different...

Substitutes, as it were, will always be compared with the original...

• RMweb Gold

So, for what its worth....

The four of us really enjoyed this film this afternoon

The girls aren't bonkers like Pierre and I but they still though it pretty good

Wont spoil it by describing the plot - which is probably on the weak side... but all the usual Dads Army dynamics between the characters are well done.

If you enjoyed the original series - forget that these are not the original cast (except for two of them!) - and you will enjoy this too even though it might seem to bumble along at times

Phil

All reviewers agree though that Toby Jones makes a very creditable Mainwaring.  A superb actor, I watched 'The Detectorists', purely on the strength of him being in it, and wasn't disappointed. 

It was always going to be compared with the original, and most 'armchair critics' will say, "Oh, it's nowhere near as good!", probably without having seen it.  The main criticism I have is that by 1944, when the 'plot' is set, the Home Guard were very much on stand-down.  Still, as a bit of fun in these dreary times, I shall go and see it!

Does it keep true to reality or, like most of the more modern war films, does it depict Britain dependent upon American volunteers to keep us safe whilst we garden? (thinking U571, bits of pearl harboUr, The Great Escape, Colditz).

No offence intended to America btw. But I get irritated by films that re-write history. Thankfully the Dambusters wasn't re-filmed as planned as that was originally going to have Guy Gibson as an American living in Britain. BTW what does anyone think to re-writing Battle of Midway being won by a Royal Navy task force or saving Private Ryan being re-filmed with British Commandos?

• RMweb Premium

Thankfully the Dambusters wasn't re-filmed as planned as that was originally going to have Guy Gibson as an American living in Britain.

And they were planning to rename Guy Gibson's dog.

When the original was on the TV a few weeks ago, at the end of every advert break there was an offensive language warning.

Back on-topic. Mrs NB wants to go and watch the film, so I will have to accompany her.

Cheers,

Mick

Guy Gibson's dog which he obviously loved, was given a name applicable to the dogs colouring.  I'm sure we all remember a descriptive for brown at the time; indeed I had a pair of trousers whose colour the salesman so aptly described.  What a sad state that we cannot mention it even in this context, after all we're not hurling insults at individuals.

Brian.

Just a bit of film trivia on the Dambusters, if you watch when G G is going off to "Write a few letters" you can see a black animal cross the road ahead of him.

According to the pundits, there were no dogs on the base at there time of filming.

Make of it what you fancy .

Archived