The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Capt Eric Winkle Brown CBE DFC

laurenceb

• RMweb Gold

And there will never be a man with a more varied logbook. That's for certain!.

Just what can you say about someone that landed a Mosquito onto a carrier!

And commentators call football players hero's......gets on my wick, people like Eric Brown are the real hero's

He was interviews by the BBC last year and it made a fascinating programme. I was amazed he'd never been more prominent, with a career which tracked the development of aviation from a fairly early stage, he spoke with authority on all manner of things associated with flight. Quite an amazing character, he held our attention rivetingly throughout.  

Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown was one of my childhood heroes. To have made it to 97 when so many of his contemporary test pilots had such tragic ends is a tribute to his flying skills. 

At one time I had a fair number of his books, my favourites being Wings Wierd and Wonderful (vol 1 actually signed by him) though I haven't been able to find where I've packed them away for the last ten years. I still have most of his 'Viewed from the Cockpit' series of articles from 'Air International' magazine. They were an interesting insight to the joys of flying the many different types as well as the perils and pitfalls of some less well thought out designs. He always seemed to make the technical jargon understandable to the layman while not glossing over the information that a trained pilot may want to know about the handling and 'feel' of an aircraft.

Dave R. 

Despite his unquestionable skill as an airman he was also very lucky on a number of occasions, such as when the BMW801 engine died as he was flying the BV141.

(With a group of Russian soldiers looking on, he said that he thought that they wanted to see him crash it!)

I have found his books both informative and easy to read- despite only having 1 aircraft type in my logbook.

He also managed to describe aircraft purely on their merits or vices, managing to keep emotion (for enemy types) out of the equation.

I particularly remember him pondering which was prettier, the Spitfire or the Focke Wulf 190a and concluding that it was rather like asking a gentleman if he preferred blonds or brunettes!

An inevitable, yet still very sad loss and we will likely never see his kind again.

RIP Winkle.

• RMweb Premium

He was interviews by the BBC last year and it made a fascinating programme. I was amazed he'd never been more prominent, with a career which tracked the development of aviation from a fairly early stage, he spoke with authority on all manner of things associated with flight. Quite an amazing character, he held our attention rivetingly throughout.  

Here (on BBC i-player):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvgq1

Archived