BR 20T Coke Hopper diagram 1/150

macgeordie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gents

Thanks for the additional information, I knew about most of the mods such as diagram 158 and the sand hopper mods but felt they didn't come under the scope of this project. If anybody wanted to make one of the modified wagons it should be fairly easy using these kits as a starting point. They are outside my period so I won't be doing any myself.

I'd never heard of the Pesnet version before today but it appears that they worked well away from my area of interest anyway so I won't be doing any of those either.

Ian

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having built my first one, only 19 to go!, I struggled a bit with the solebar door closing hooks, it's a bit of a faff to bend them for my sausage fingers, so I've come up with a plan B.

I've found in my local model shop, (in Alicante, but bear with me), in the ship detailing section, some eyescrews which are 0.5mm diameter brass wire with a 1.5mm hole, which to my eyes would do nicely.

The manufacturers name is Artesania Latina SA and the item number is 8603..Although based in Spain I would imagine these are widely used by the ship modelling fraternity and might be available in the UK, or maybe a similkar product.

They don't seem to have a website, but their email is "artesanialatina@artesanialatina.net" if you're minded to pursue a stockist, or I'll buy a shedload and send them over.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

They sound like a good buy, I've built nearly all the wagons I need so I won't need any of the eyelets. I didn't have any trouble making the loops from 0.45mm wire myself, but it is much easier if you use a pair of round nosed pliers rather than ordinary snipe nosed ones.

Ian

Must admit I couldn't get on with the plier method, so I used a drill bit, but now my prayers are answered!

Mike.

No excuses.

Must admit I got confused and thought you where talking about Monkey tales. When it comes to eyelets, like Ian I knock up my own using pre- blackened jewelry wire. Various sizes & colours available * cheap as chips from you favorite on line auction site. This is using 0.3 mm wire. The wire is very workable.

post-508-0-14113100-1489176464.jpg

P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just finished painting a batch of 16 wagons built as a commission so I thought I'd post a few photos of the finished articles.

post-6711-0-41153900-1496589493_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-31185600-1496589517_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-80000300-1496589543_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-44456300-1496589566_thumb.jpg

The patches of fresh rust on the two diagram 152-2 wagons are to represent the damage done by loading them when the coke wasn't fully quenched with water so it caught fire again in the wagons. A friend of mine worked on the Railway and often saw these wagons when they were in use and the big fresh rust patches were the one thing that really stuck in his memory about them.

For the rest of the wagons I have tried to add a bit of variety by painting the planking in a number of shades to represent the wood in various stages of ageing. 

Ian

• Like 1