Replacement Bogies for Lima Coaches/Van etc

Just wondering if anyone knows of any companies who sells bogies/bogie kits, which can be used to replace the Lima bogies with the molded 'wide' tension lock couplings?

I am considering getting rid of my Lima items, if it is not possible to change the bogies (and thus the couplings) as the wide, molded couples just don't seem to interact well with the narrower types used by Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby etc.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Could you perhaps be a little more specific about which vehicles are involved?

What's the bet that its in reference to the BR1 bogie, that Lima managed to fit to almost every BR & pre-nationalisation coaching stock model!

• Like 1

If you are looking to replac e the bogies on Mk1 and Mk2 stock you can use Bachmann BR1, B4 or Commonwealth bogies by simply removing the Lima bogie and drilling the pivot hole with a 4.2mm drill. You can then tap the hole with an M5 tap and fit the Bachmann bogie using an M5 bolt.

• Informative/Useful 1

What's the bet that its in reference to the BR1 bogie, that Lima managed to fit to almost every BR & pre-nationalisation coaching stock model!

Bogies were not Lima's strong suite, were they, but then neither were they Hornby's. Apart from the ubiquitous BR1 on all passenger stock, Lima had the 'Ruritarian Railways' bogies on the otherwise excellent Fertiliser van, whilst Hornby still insist on using the former Transcontinental passenger coach bogie on the 100t tanks.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.

To answer the question as to what vehicles I am looking to replace the bogies on, the following come to mind:

Several GWR/ex-GWR Siphon G & Siphon H vans;

A departmental MK1 coach;

One of the above mentioned fertilizer vans.

I'm sure I have others, but those are the ones which I was initially thinking of.

If it wasn't for the couplings being molded to the bogies, I could cope with the Lima bogies (even if they weren't exactly accurate) - unfortunately I'm finding that the Lima couplings just don't seem to interact with the NEM type couplings very well!

Re the fertiliser vans.

A certain manufacturer of compensated bogies has the correct Gloucester bogies on the drawing board and hopefully available in the not too distant future.

Mike.

S Kits also do a white metal version of the correct bogie which are easy to build. I usually drill out the pivot hole with a 5mm drill and fit them in the same manner as Bachmann bogies.

To answer the question as to what vehicles I am looking to replace the bogies on, the following come to mind:

I'm sure I have others, but those are the ones which I was initially thinking of.

If it wasn't for the couplings being molded to the bogies, I could cope with the Lima bogies (even if they weren't exactly accurate) - unfortunately I'm finding that the Lima couplings just don't seem to interact with the NEM type couplings very well!

Bachmann GWR bogies (ex Dapol outside framed syphon G) will just about pass. I've used these on my Lima syphons.

To be honest, all Lima bogies are extremely 'malnourished' and look too small. The wheels on a MK1 bogie should be 12mm for starters. I find that fitting Bachmann bogies makes a lot of difference. Add on flush glazing, proper vents or even etched brass sides, you can make a pretty decent coach.

• RMweb Gold

Looks alright painted and fitted. I thought they were Gloucester bogies of pretty much the same pattern as those fitted to TEA's.

Gloucester fastfreight, similar but totally different, it's probably me being anal about wagons, although anything would be an improvement!

Should have 2' 9" wheels also, that's why in pictures they seem to hunker down.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Gloucester fastfreight, similar but totally different, it's probably me being anal about wagons, although anything would be an improvement!

Should have 2' 9" wheels also, that's why in pictures they seem to hunker down.

Mike.

...also I believe the number of coil springs is different. The SKits vogue has 3 and the one under the pallet van have only 2 I believe.

...also I believe the number of coil springs is different. The SKits vogue has 3 and the one under the pallet van have only 2 I believe.

I agree. I did study pictures in the Gamble books but the S Kits were the closest thing I could find at the time, even though they were slightly wrong.

One of my PWA's fitted with S Kits Glougester bogies awaiting painting:

attachicon.gifWP_20160226_002.jpg

If the correct bogies come out at a reasonable price I will fit those instead and then fit the surplus bogies to my Lima TEA's.

Interesting... How did you deal with the couplings issue? Given that the Lima couplings are usually part of the bogies.

I have replaced the common Lima mk1 bogie fitted to everything but no replacement is a straight swap because the Lima bogie has a pivot "tower" on the top. When fitting a replacement you have to fabricate a new pivot. this is how I did it on a Lima guv with Bachmann LMS bogies. I built up a stack of plasictard on top of the bogie so that the coach ran at the right height. I fixed a piece of plastic rod with a small hole at one end that would take a self tapping screw into the pivot hole in the coach floor and that seemed to work. It may be easier to build the pad up on the coach floor instead with a small ring on top slightly thicker than the bogie top plate and then  use a self tapper and washer. This would be a bit more like the Bachmann pivot on their coaches. I had to cut away the floor on either side of the pivoto clear the wheels.

Note the incorrect spelling of the word "Length"  on the side of the guv!

post-11423-0-32535700-1456502055_thumb.jpg

post-11423-0-29408000-1456502065_thumb.jpg

post-11423-0-28236500-1456502092_thumb.jpg

post-11423-0-61945500-1456502099_thumb.jpg

post-11423-0-19713500-1456502106_thumb.jpg

Edited by drgj
  • Like 1