Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

In 1946 a number of 2800 / 2884 were converted to oil burning and renumbered in the 48xx series (hence the original 48xx renumbering into the 14xx series)

An Rmweb member has drawn up a 3D print for the oil tank fitted to the tender that will convert the Hornby model, along with a little scratch building to add the shutters etc. I’ve been thinking about it for a while so will be great to finally make a start on it.

Edit, I see autocorrect changed tank to talk...

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Continuing my current rate of 2 coach roofs a night, a centenary composite and large window first have now been painted. I have temporarily fitted the destination boards to the centenary, but of course it still needs changing from limited to Express.

Just trying to find some modern image paint shades in the Vallejo range to make a big paint order which will be including the black for the coach ends. (The painting of which should be quicker than 2 a night...)

I also tested out another Vallejo paint, German cam dark brown which is a great match for GWR chocolate. It’s a shame that to getter cream it seems that you have to mix paints (which I am not overly comfortable with)

post-54-0-79720200-1543270803_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-21495200-1543270814_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

What some of these photos really show up are the areas where brown paint got under the masking tape into the cream. Hopefully a brush touch up here will do the job. Will see how it goes tonight seeing as I still haven’t ordered the Vallejo black.

I also have a detailed auto coach to spray into wartime brown, although looking at the forecast I doubt tonight will be suitable spraying weather

• RMweb Gold

I still haven’t ordered any black for the ends, so instead thanks to advice on a colour mix from Mike Trice in another thread I made up a mix of grey black and some Vallejo browns and set to work painting the underframe of a centenary restaurant third. A big improvement on the black, I am now debating what colour I should use on the ends. Maybe a slightly darker version of the same mix...

I also started tidying up my first (and probably last) 3D printed part, a GWR tender oil tank. In the time taken so far smoothing off the layering I could have scratch built it from plasticard. Made worse by a slight slip resulting in breaking off one of the vents which pinged away lost. Typically I am out of these parts so will have to try turning something up with the drill...

Still shape etc looks very good, as is the fit into the tender body. It’s just the amount of cleaning up I can’t stand, give me metal any day... if you are less fussy I am sure you could get it usable with a lot less work. I didn’t buy the pipe to go with it as I was sure Shapeways wouldn’t print it to a standard I would be happy with, so this will be formed from brass tube.

Typically in the below photo the finish looks a lot better than it did in the flesh (this was taken just before I sanded it all down again)

post-54-0-81295700-1544133958_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-64831800-1544133973_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Finished work at 12 today in order to attend no1 daughter's nativity at school, with an hour to kill between finishing and needing to go out I have cracked on with a little painting. My detailed Airfix / Dart Castings autocoach has now been sprayed into wartime brown to match up with my black 1470 and is currently drying before I paint the roof grey this evening and reunite with its chassis. It will now need the orange lining adding (probably once I sort out buying a lining pen), and glazing fitting. The latter wont be until I next see Shawplan at a show to buy some laserglaze.

The other job was the oil tank for my oil converted 3500gl tender. I still havent decided exactly which loco I am going to model, the two main candidates are either the Laira sheded 4855 (ex3813) which means that I can renumber my Hornby 2884 class model to something more suitable for Brent. The alternative is to use it to model Garth Hall, although that would mean buying another hall to model it.

4855 is certainly the current leader (and for the moment has the tank fitted.)

The 3d print took a lot of effort to get cleaned up, in the end I painted it dark grey then sanded back (until you couldn't see any trace of grey). As previously mentioned I managed to break off one of the vents (and still cant find it) so I will need to fabricate a replacement. It also still needs the pipe adding, but again this will be pending a choice of loco to model.

Edit to add photos (I really need an OO photo plank inside rather than balancing on P4 track)

post-54-0-89909900-1544188000_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-83481500-1544188014_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, if I can’t find it when I hoover the floor tomorrow (through a sock to capture any parts)

I was a bit annoyed with the quality yesterday, and stand by the fact that it would be quicker to make a plasticard box than clean up the print, but I am happy with the end result.

Will be doing an oil burning castle or hall at some point to go with it.

The addition of 4855 will mean my heavy freight fleet now contains an oil 2884, a 2800, a 4200 a 7200 and a WD. More than enough I think, though it doesn’t stop me wanting a ROD.

Great job on the oil burner. I know what you mean about the layering and again agree fully. I am sure in the near future someone will design a way of printing without all the laying effects.

I have another type of conversation for an oil burning tender from brass, Crownline I think. I believe this is for a 4000g tender but have to research further.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not enough for a full Blog post, but I have been spending some more time on the batch one resprayed,touching up a few more areas that I missed on the black session and adding drop lights in Vallejo burnt red.

There are currently 4 more left to do this evening, along with a few more touch ups to the brown paint on centenary ends and one repair to cream on the A20 first.

After which it’s time to start lining, before which I really need to find a photo of the rake of centenaries to see which side usually faced the sea given I will initially only line the one side that I will see on the layout

post-54-0-89370500-1544985133_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-55997300-1544985174_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Now with added lining on the first 3 centenaries and the A20

post-54-0-42170700-1545002069_thumb.jpegpost-54-0-06125900-1545002087_thumb.jpeg

This used the HMRS product, applying the two lines at once to maintain the spacing. It’s an expensive process (given that as usual for HMRS transfers it’s included on a sheet with a lot of other stuff rather than a sheet of coach lining). One pack will do 2 coaches (or 4 if you follow my approach only fitting transfers to one side)

I had issues with one coach where there is a lot of shiny ness around the transfer, it’s pressed down well (and I’ve tried wetting again and it’s still present). I’m not sure what had gone wrong...

post-54-0-28102700-1545002115_thumb.jpeg

6 more to go once I get more transfers, plus fixing this one, the 70ft coach will be more of a challenge needing two transfers per line!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

2018 in review

Now it is time to look back at 2018 and see just how badly I did at my modelling plans for the year.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-20&do=findComment&comment=2979838 is a link to last years post, but in summary the aim was to:

Replace the double slip at the Exeter end of the station

Install the Avon bridge, scenic base around the river and poor the river

Finish track testing and paint track

Install point rodding

Install Kingsbridge Fiddleyard

Draw and build Water Tower, down waiting room, coal office and goods shed.

Build Platforms

Build / Paint and Install the road bridges at either end of the layout

Against which I can say I managed to complete a grand total of 1 task, and partially complete two more.  Not a great performance, although it wasn’t helped by the fact that Wheal Imogen and rolling stock projects were a lot easier to work on given that they were inside while the layout is in the garage.  The heat of the summer made July / August pretty much a write off, while the cold wet winter also put a spanner in the works.  A much longer commute (and not having the luxury of the company basically shutting down through the summer) also didn’t help.

So onto the review of the year.

January:

Added the arches and final structural details were added to the bridge over the Avon, before test fitting into place on the layout.  Moving on to buildings, a scratch built attempt at modelling the coal office was made with plasticard.  This is the office of W A Hawke and Son Coal Merchants.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-21

With the basic structure complete, and the carcas of the old Blackcombe Torr bridge, I could then start planning the angles and heights for the vicarage road bridge.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-21&do=findComment&comment=3022908

April

I was demonstrating the Silhouette cutter at the Taunton Members day, during which I drew up and cut the parts for the water tower and Vicarage Road bridge beams.  These have yet to be touched but are towards the top of the list once I get the Yate show out the way with Wheal Imogen.

June / July:

With the Avon bridge glued into place, attention turned to blending it into the landscape.  Lots of pink foam (and various other materials were carved into the rough shape of the hills sloping down to the river.  Before shaping with tools, covering certain areas (mostly joints) with masking tape, and covering with artex. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-22&do=findComment&comment=3211921

Attention then turned to the hill between the Vicarage Road bridge and the Avon bridge, using the same approach to build up the terrain.  This included  adding the former for Vicarage Road and the ramp down into the yard

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/?p=3226573

Once all of this was dry and painted, the river was poured with Woodland Scenics Deep Pour Water.  Unfortunately I didn’t buy enough and the pour wasn’t deep enough, a job that is still awaiting rectification.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/?p=3230638

October

The final work for the year was lifting the track for the Exeter double slip, the intention being to make a replacement (with a longer approach integrated into the slip).  Working off board to allow greater testing and ease of checking parts.  Unfortunately I almost immediately got a cold, and have since been hit by a series of coughs and colds that have left me not wanting to inhale flux fumes.   Once well enough this is the no1 task (though I said that last year).

And that is it, a whole year’s lack of  progress. 

The plan for 2019 looks much the same as 2018

Ø  Fix the double slip

Ø  Finish test running (which means fixing the PowerCab control panel)

Ø  Paint the track

Kingsbridge fiddleyard is no longer a priority, I have a long enough spur for testing and it frees up funds elsewhere (not to mention I just pinched all the copperclad / rail intended for its points to build the slip and half its point motors for Wheal Imogen.

Point rodding will also be delayed, though I will install all of the bases in advance prior to ballasting.

Platforms are something like priority 3, but need the track testing / painting completed first (along with clearance trials for the rodding.  

I want to crack on with the terrorforming, however I cant really progress at the Plymouth end until the platform is in place, or at the Exeter end until the platform is in place and the slip works reliably (given that the bridge goes right over the slip.)   This is a real shame as it made such a difference at the Plymouth end transitioning from plywood sheet to layout.

Once the terrorforming is complete, I want to get the backscene fitted. 

post-54-0-53974200-1531170199.jpeg

Dec 2018

So all that’s left to say is Happy Christmas and thanks for reading, hopefully 2019 will see more progress than 2018

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

While I haven’t managed to do any work on Brent this year, with finishing Wheal Imogen before the Yate show being the priority, a bit of work on the latter has resulted in some more thoughts on Brent.

At the moment the stock for Brent either has no couplings, or is still fitted with the original tension locks.  The original plan was to go for scale  couplings on all locos and freight stock, and fixed coach rakes using the Tony Wright style bar couplings between coaches and screw couplings on the ends. 

Wheal Imogen was going to go the same way, however after test running I have decided that it was a significant hinderance on enjoyment.  The solution for Wheal Imogen was to use Dingham couplings on the locos / outer ends of wagons and scale couplings on the inner ends.  This works here in that there is no shunting of wagons (more a run around and split blocks of the same wagon type).   

This has got me thinking that I will follow a similar approach on Brent, the key difference being that all freight stock is going to need to be coupling fitted to allow for shunting the yard.  Coaches will only get couplings on the outer ends, as will non stopping freight.   The question is whether they will be reliable, the points are all B6 or greater so no worries there, its just the curves which are about 36inch radius that I am a little more concerned with.  I would definitely welcome feedback from those who have used Dinghams on a continuous run layout.

In the mean time my intention is to fit up a loco (likely a King) and a Hornby Collet coach to conduct some testing after Yate.  If I have enough etches spare I will also test on a 4575 to ensure the branch curve works ok.

• RMweb Gold

Rich the sea facing side would normally be the corridor side on these coaches.

Btw does that A20 have separate door drop lights in the kit ? it's one going on my list for purchase.

• RMweb Gold

Rich the sea facing side would normally be the corridor side on these coaches.

Btw does that A20 have separate door drop lights in the kit ? it's one going on my list for purchase.

Oops, the compartment side was chosen for looking more interesting relative to sunshine stock.

The A20 has separate droplights

• RMweb Gold

Oops, the compartment side was chosen for looking more interesting relative to sunshine stock.

The A20 has separate droplights

Another one for my Coach Master I can't get those kin droplights on square with my authurightarse I've tried ever tool imaginable this is a pain as I've 8 old Airfix "B"set coaches

going for new Comet sides.A20's, H38's and some E128's all of them have lose droplights. thanks for the info'. 

It doesn't matter I sure one might have ended up turned round invoke rule one.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now that I am clearing some space on the work bench, the next major project is getting the new double slip built.

though first of all I may try and get the chassis built for my Manor kit.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if 7808 received works attention in 1945 to 47?  The loco was painted black in 43 so I’d like to confirm if it was still black in 47.6952B689-6B8E-470F-BDC3-A4F1878BC51C.jpeg.5417fcc6ff1c3e142b6c7cacacba6ece.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I still haven't quite managed to free up enough space to work on the double slip, but I am getting close.  I think part of why I am putting it off is the need to file up 4 more pairs of switch rails...

However the main reason is that I cant quite get my J12 project off the bench (that is a GWR sleeper rather than some northern 0-6-0).  However the body is now ready for painting (bar the fitting of two missing droplights), and the chassis cant progress until the bogies arrive (or are ordered...) 

While on the subject of the J12, its a good time to touch upon the operations for the layout.

My intention is that eventually I want to be able to run a full 24 hour period running everything that ran through Brent.  In order to achieve this I am working through a combination of fixed formations (such as my Cornish Rivera set where I have actual reference coach numbers / diagrams to form an accurate formation) and a pool of various coaches from which to build other formations.   

Back to the sleeper, I have not found any photos showing the full train (or for that matter a 1947 condition J12, the only photo being a 1949 shot in Russel which has been defaced with BR style 1s on the doors).  The lack of photos is not exactly surprising, given the difficulties I had researching the 1998 equivalent working.  Fortunately for 1947 I have the necessary coach working documents to have a good crack at it.

1.JPG.f4fbc724eb296f2f7580baf9a7125bf7.JPG

There were 3 down sleeper services, the 21:50 and 23:50 both including a single J12 as part of a passenger service, while the 00:15 included two J12s as part of a newspaper train.  I was a little surprised with the latter, a very antisocial departure time for first class travel.  I had originally expected this to be the J11 sleeper thirds...

There was only a single  train returning the sleepers to London, the 20:40 from Penzance (picking up one additional sleeper at Plymouth). 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I really need to stop going on eBay.....

Last night I came across a 2nd hand chassis for a Bachmann 64xx.  Back when the model was released I managed to source a cheap replacement bodyshell with the intention of building a P4 high level chassis and converting to a 54xx (making use of those over large splashers).

However given it would cost around £90 for all the parts, I have decided that its slightly overkill for an OO loco and with the chassis available for a fraction of the price it made sense to go down that route instead. 

This leaves me with a green (GWR branded of course) 64xx that needs an identity, there are two possibilities, an auto fitted tank from Laira or 7427 at Newton Abbot.  Naturally it is the latter that most appeals, so one of the next projects to hit the work bench will be the conversion of the 64xx to a 74xx.  Just need to decide if I will have a go at those splashers, I have a feeling that a brass splasher to scale will give sufficient clearance.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Step way from ebay... :)

I had a couple of searches saved for some brown stock. Next time I looked in the bits box I had about 10 odd wagons that all need tlc as they were cheap ebay ideas. 

74xx sounds nice though.. 

• Friendly/supportive 1