Inspired by Brent June 1947

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, that will be really helpful. Even if it will not Work for this building, it may be something I can design into the goodshed and water tower...

Do you have a decent photo of the water tower as I've never seen one.

• RMweb Gold

I recall being shown one good photo, and have sourced copy’s or a further two cropped photos which help to show the details

From this along with photos of the models made for Brent+ that were shown on here a while back, I’ve put together a drawing which is close enough for me.

The building I’m really struggling with is the large structure to the side of it, for which I do not even know the purpose (but assume it’s the coal office). Other than a couple of grainy cropped photos I’m at a loss.

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

Slow progress tonight as I once again had cutting issues, with the long roof components coming out short and the small parts sheet coming significantly over size (including the roof ribs coming out correct sized on one sheet and far too big on another. I think going forward I will cut a series of 10 mm spaced lines in the x and y direction on the corners to verify cutting accuracy

Instead of the quick 20m cutting followed by gluing the roof together, I spent a long time manually cutting to size / splicing in additional sections into the middle of sides.

Eventually I did get the ribs attached to the spar on the base plate (again I’ve uses cuts to mark where to glue.). Once that was dry the first side was added. The ends need cutting to size still (being on the too big sheet), while the second side will go on tomorrow night

post-54-0-88804100-1511822632_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Before heading to the office this morning I had a quick check on the current state of the station roof, having left the glue to cure over night the front face of the roof is now solid. I then took the opportunity to spend five minutes and glue the rear face into position, again using a handful of screwdrivers and wagon weights in order to hold it in place while it dries. I also took the opportunity to check fit the ends, my cutting seems to be accurate enough so it now just needs to have the overall height chopping to size (once the front / back roof assembly is dry). I think this is going to be a good way forward when working with these laminated parts, preparing a couple of laminations early in the morning means there is no risk of me getting impatient and trying to work on it before it is fully dry.

Tonight’s aim is to get the two ends fitted to the roof, I might also have a quick look at adding chimneys. At which point there is nothing else that I can do until I buy more materials (ie a lot more 20thou!) One of the downsides of the cutter is that I find it is a little more wasteful than cutting by hand, in that I am leaving approximately 5mm between parts. I also have to trim about half an inch off the sheet in order to get it within the width of the cutter. Net result I am getting through a lot of plastic! That said, I do think I have enough 20thou spare to make the water tower so tonight I am planning to make a start on converting my drawing into a cutting plan…

post-54-0-18526500-1511860236_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-46753700-1511860244_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully looking even more he part now that it had a full roof, cutting issues aside I’m very pleased with how it came out

post-54-0-78795400-1511911014_thumb.jpeg

I then spent a lot of time drawing up the 3 chimneys, and breaking down into a cutting plan. It now just needs running through the cutter later in the week, although I think I will now work out the cutting plan for the water tower so that I can cut the 20thou and brick layers at the same time (better optimising the use of plastic)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Onto the next building, it certainly takes a while to convert an outline drawing to a cutting plan, but now I have it. Red is 20thou, yellow 10thou, green is 15thou brick and blue is corrugated iron

Construction will follow that of the station, so hopefully I will get it all cut tomorrow / Saturday

post-54-0-78022000-1512077887_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I need to start looking at couplings for coach rakes, I have various thoughts as to how I will achieve this and need to start experimenting to find a solution (especially as some stock currently has no couplings)

I am looking at a number of options:

For the branch line I have two sets of coaches, plus a need to add an extra van or coach detached from a mainline service. The coach will have roof boards with Paddington – Kingsbridge. In this case I am looking at auto couplings, probably DCC operated Dinghams, fitted to both ends of each pair of B Sets and to both ends of the extra coach.

For Mainline trains it is less clear. At present locos are fitted with tensionlocks, as are the majority of the coaches. Older coaches and those built from kits have no couplings. Going forward some outer coaches need to be able to work with the single branch line coaches (being added / removed from the rear). In these cases they need to have buffer beam hooks to work with the DCC Dinghams. For the rest of the rake I am looking for simplicity.

Ø Stick with Tension Locks and retrofit to stock which does not have them.

Ø Kaydees (modified with no pin in order to make less visible), less obtrusive than the tension locks, but a lot of work (as I would be fitting to the buffer beams) and still looks very wrong)

Ø Some kind of home built bar coupling – I need to reread Tony Wright’s thread as I am sure he showed something suitable

Ø Dinghams or scale couplings on each coach, this would give the benefit of reforming all stock in any order rather than being limited to outer and inner coaches.

Ø Decision on method of coupling loco to loco and loco to first coach – in order to allow locos to switch between uses, I think a consistent approach on all locos is key. Front couplings should be scale. My thinking is to have a scale coupling on the loco and maybe all “end” coaches should be fitted with Dinghams on the outer ends.

Train length is a max of 8 coaches, however I want which ever approach I go with to be capable of expanding the formations to full length (up to 12 coaches) in the future. In the long term (5 years+) out intention is to build our own house, one of the design requirements for this will be the construction of a large layout room capable of holding a 30ft plus layout. While it will not even be considered for a long time, I want to future proof my stock as much as possible. There is no point spending lots of effort changing couplings

Re couplings, removing the dropper bar from Kadee's removes the facility for automatic uncoupling. It is mighty useful when shunting into siding that lie behind buildings. Unfortunately, passenger trains were uncoupling when departing Carrog. so I re-fitted tension lock's between rakes of coaches and only used Kadees at the outer ends to couple to locos. Dapol wagons have floppy NEM sockets and so they too reverted to tension locks and were therefore kept as blocks of wagons.

• RMweb Premium

I need to start looking at couplings for coach rakes, I have various thoughts as to how I will achieve this and need to start experimenting to find a solution (especially as some stock currently has no couplings)

I am looking at a number of options:

For the branch line I have two sets of coaches, plus a need to add an extra van or coach detached from a mainline service. The coach will have roof boards with Paddington – Kingsbridge. In this case I am looking at auto couplings, probably DCC operated Dinghams, fitted to both ends of each pair of B Sets and to both ends of the extra coach.

For Mainline trains it is less clear. At present locos are fitted with tensionlocks, as are the majority of the coaches. Older coaches and those built from kits have no couplings. Going forward some outer coaches need to be able to work with the single branch line coaches (being added / removed from the rear). In these cases they need to have buffer beam hooks to work with the DCC Dinghams. For the rest of the rake I am looking for simplicity.

Ø Stick with Tension Locks and retrofit to stock which does not have them.

Ø Kaydees (modified with no pin in order to make less visible), less obtrusive than the tension locks, but a lot of work (as I would be fitting to the buffer beams) and still looks very wrong)

Ø Some kind of home built bar coupling – I need to reread Tony Wright’s thread as I am sure he showed something suitable

Ø Dinghams or scale couplings on each coach, this would give the benefit of reforming all stock in any order rather than being limited to outer and inner coaches.

Ø Decision on method of coupling loco to loco and loco to first coach – in order to allow locos to switch between uses, I think a consistent approach on all locos is key. Front couplings should be scale. My thinking is to have a scale coupling on the loco and maybe all “end” coaches should be fitted with Dinghams on the outer ends.

Train length is a max of 8 coaches, however I want which ever approach I go with to be capable of expanding the formations to full length (up to 12 coaches) in the future. In the long term (5 years+) out intention is to build our own house, one of the design requirements for this will be the construction of a large layout room capable of holding a 30ft plus layout. While it will not even be considered for a long time, I want to future proof my stock as much as possible. There is no point spending lots of effort changing couplings

Rich, in the past (and possibly again in the future!) I have used press studs. Fix the male half under the coach floor behind the headstock and fix the next larger size female half to the end of a stiff wire link - I used paper clip wire. The difference in size is important to allow the studs to rotate freely and also to give some vertical play. A combination of size 0 and 00 works well.

• RMweb Premium

I have got some Brassmasters lost wax cast screwlink couplings with vac and steam heat pipes to fit to coaching stock in rakes. The coupling is fixed behind the buffer beam of one coach and has a upright piece that goes behind the buffer beam of the next coach. I use Spratt and Winkles for all other couplings.

• RMweb Gold

I have got some Brassmasters lost wax cast screwlink couplings with vac and steam heat pipes to fit to coaching stock in rakes. The coupling is fixed behind the buffer beam of one coach and has a upright piece that goes behind the buffer beam of the next coach. I use Spratt and Winkles for all other couplings.

Do you have a photo of it in use please?

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid not, I haven't yet completed any of the kits in my round tuit pile, but if you have a look on the Brassmasters site and look on the rolling stock tab and scroll down to the bottom centre and click on the lost wax coach couplings there are some pictures there.

• RMweb Gold

Rich I left a message on ANTB for you to save you hunting for it I have several Prairie's in bit's I'm trying to salvage as many as I can if you PM me a photo of any bits you need to get your up and running

till some thing new comes along I will see what I can do for you, I would think I can manage most parts there's a complete wheel set with all the motion rods, pistons with slide bars, pony trucks without wheels and motor.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the message, 

From memory the damage is that the slide bars are broken on both sides, and a the crosshead / drive rod assembly is missing on one side.   It was purchased off ebay with a grainy photo which didn't show the motion, at the time I didn't know how susceptible these were to damaged cylinders so didn't think to check!   When it arrived I thought it would be a simple fix so didn't bother returning (then found out that the spares are not available!) 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich I have some Airfix cylinders & slide bars also the rods & cross heads I've compared them with the Hornby one's and I can't see any difference if you would Like then PM

me your address and i will try and get them in the post next week.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Still not got out to the garage to work on the layout, but I have been working on more stock with my County progressing nicely. As a result of wanting to get the black areas on the body weathered I have dug out Martyn Welch’s art of weathering (I wish Wild Swan would reissue this in full colour maybe with a few more modern techniques added)

I have never read the steam section before, was very pleased to see some post war GWR photos, Castle Brunel may come in handy once I get my 4th and final Castle eventually. More interesting for now was a photo of 4025 in postwar black looking an absolute state. A huge challenge to weather in the future!

I doubt there will be much more done on the layout until after Christmas, although depending on when I finish the wrapping tonight I may get round to adding the door window sills etc to Brent station building (so that it’s ready for the paint shop)

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Given it is that time of year, here is Brent's 2017 progress in summary.  Thanks to everyone who has read and contributed to the thread, Happy New Year to all :

January:

The rail bridge over the river Avon was constructed from plasticard / SEF embossed sheet, before test fitting on the layout.

The water tower at the Plymouth end of the yard was drawn up in CAD.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-8

February:

Lots of track wiring, along with track laying for much of the yard             

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-8&do=findComment&comment=2635668

March:

More track building at Plymouth end of the yard, plus towards the start of the Kingsbridge branch

Installation of trap points

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-9

With the assistance of Stationmaster Mike, drawing up a plan for all of the point rodding.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-10&do=findComment&comment=2647787

Construction of lifting section at the entrance of the garage, thus completing the baseboard.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2664307

April:

Start of up fiddleyard construction

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2695081

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2017/post-54-0-56399300-1492984410.jpg[/img]

Decision made to remain with traditional control for points.

May:

A slow month, with a focus on the fiddleyard and a start on the construction of the remaining points to finish the down mainline.

June:

Point construction on down fiddleyard

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-12&do=findComment&comment=2744170

Installation of fiddleyard point motors

Resolving numerous heat expansion issues caused by the 30 degree heat, mostly short circuits due to insufficient insulation on point vees.  This was followed by initial testing of full up main, including the milestone of the first compete circuit.

Control panel built

Double slips both built, scenic track is now complete.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2017/post-54-0-76130800-1498461167.jpg[/ing]

Cattle dock built pending painting

Track testing starts – there are lots of issues!

July:

LMS order arrives, with two types of GWR buffer stops (which are quickly built and installed)

A start is made on mocking up raised areas for bridges

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-15

Plymouth double slip rebuilt to try and solve running issues, it doesn’t!             

Raised loading dock built at Plymouth end of station

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-16

August:

Foot bridge converted from Hornby kit

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-16&do=findComment&comment=2822087

October:

Finished down fiddle yard

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-17

Yet another attempt at fixing the Exeter double slip (again it failed) but there was lots of good advice on this page

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-18

Drawing completed of up station building, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-19

November:

Attended the Pendon scenic course, picked up a lot of skills which will be very handy once the grass laying stage starts.  I highly recommend the course

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-19&do=findComment&comment=2913255

Avon bridge painted

Up station built, it now needs roof tiles and arches adding before it can be painted.  A great first use of the silhouette cutter.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-20&do=findComment&comment=2942139

The water tower drawing from back in January has been converted into a cutting plan, ready to be ran through the silhouette cutter.

December:

A combination of a focus on stock building, and being knocked over by a string of colds resulted in my not getting out to the garage at all in December (not helped by the fact that the operating well is currently full up with the contents of my old shed while I built its replacement (which should if all goes to plan enable me to move the spray booth out of the layout room).

The key tasks for 2018 (roughly in order of importance):

Ø  Replace the double slip:  Absolute priority 1, If this doesn't work then I need to do some major redesigning of the Exeter end in order to find a solution (or spend some serious money).

Ø  Install the Avon bridge, scenic base around the river and lay the river itself.  This needs to be done early in the year, as I want to lay the river at the same time I do the river on Wheal Imogen.

Ø  Finish track testing, then paint track.

Ø  Install point rodding

Ø  Install Kingsbridge fiddleyard

Ø  Get basic structure built for Water Tower, Down Waiting Room, Coal Office, and Goods Shed.  Ideally also get platform canopy built

Ø  Build Platforms

Ø  Draw up bridges

Ø  Build, paint and install bridges

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Given it is that time of year, here is Brent's 2017 progress in summary.  Thanks to everyone who has read and contributed to the thread, Happy New Year to all :

January:

The rail bridge over the river Avon was constructed from plasticard / SEF embossed sheet, before test fitting on the layout.

The water tower at the Plymouth end of the yard was drawn up in CAD.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-8

February:

Lots of track wiring, along with track laying for much of the yard             

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-8&do=findComment&comment=2635668

March:

More track building at Plymouth end of the yard, plus towards the start of the Kingsbridge branch

Installation of trap points

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-9

With the assistance of Stationmaster Mike, drawing up a plan for all of the point rodding.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-10&do=findComment&comment=2647787

Construction of lifting section at the entrance of the garage, thus completing the baseboard.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2664307

April:

Start of up fiddleyard construction

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2695081

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2017/post-54-0-56399300-1492984410.jpg[/img]

Decision made to remain with traditional control for points.

May:

A slow month, with a focus on the fiddleyard and a start on the construction of the remaining points to finish the down mainline.

June:

Point construction on down fiddleyard

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-12&do=findComment&comment=2744170

Installation of fiddleyard point motors

Resolving numerous heat expansion issues caused by the 30 degree heat, mostly short circuits due to insufficient insulation on point vees.  This was followed by initial testing of full up main, including the milestone of the first compete circuit.

Control panel built

Double slips both built, scenic track is now complete.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2017/post-54-0-76130800-1498461167.jpg[/ing]

Cattle dock built pending painting

Track testing starts – there are lots of issues!

July:

LMS order arrives, with two types of GWR buffer stops (which are quickly built and installed)

A start is made on mocking up raised areas for bridges

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-15

Plymouth double slip rebuilt to try and solve running issues, it doesn’t!             

Raised loading dock built at Plymouth end of station

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-16

August:

Foot bridge converted from Hornby kit

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-16&do=findComment&comment=2822087

October:

Finished down fiddle yard

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-17

Yet another attempt at fixing the Exeter double slip (again it failed) but there was lots of good advice on this page

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-18

Drawing completed of up station building, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-19

November:

Attended the Pendon scenic course, picked up a lot of skills which will be very handy once the grass laying stage starts.  I highly recommend the course

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-19&do=findComment&comment=2913255

Avon bridge painted

Up station built, it now needs roof tiles and arches adding before it can be painted.  A great first use of the silhouette cutter.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108594-inspired-by-brent-june-1947/page-20&do=findComment&comment=2942139

The water tower drawing from back in January has been converted into a cutting plan, ready to be ran through the silhouette cutter.

December:

A combination of a focus on stock building, and being knocked over by a string of colds resulted in my not getting out to the garage at all in December (not helped by the fact that the operating well is currently full up with the contents of my old shed while I built its replacement (which should if all goes to plan enable me to move the spray booth out of the layout room).

The key tasks for 2018 (roughly in order of importance):

Ø  Replace the double slip:  Absolute priority 1, If this doesn't work then I need to do some major redesigning of the Exeter end in order to find a solution (or spend some serious money).

Ø  Install the Avon bridge, scenic base around the river and lay the river itself.  This needs to be done early in the year, as I want to lay the river at the same time I do the river on Wheal Imogen.

Ø  Finish track testing, then paint track.

Ø  Install point rodding

Ø  Install Kingsbridge fiddleyard

Ø  Get basic structure built for Water Tower, Down Waiting Room, Coal Office, and Goods Shed.  Ideally also get platform canopy built

Ø  Build Platforms

Ø  Draw up bridges

Ø  Build, paint and install bridges

Signals?

• RMweb Gold

Signals?

Are almost certainly years away,

In all honestly the plan for 2018 is rather ambitious, especially given that I am changing jobs in March and will no longer have remotely as much time through August when the Spanish were all on holiday!

The overwhelming priority for 2018 is to get the track working perfectly, followed by paint and ballast plus getting the platforms installed.  Next to that getting the core of the scenery in place along with the bridges will be the next priority.  at which point with attention shifting to buildings, grass, trees, signals etc over the next couple of years.