Making Water With Toilet Paper

An interesting technique. I've used the first step effectively many times for my craft stuff (it is effectively découpage), so for that bit something like Mod Podge glue would work well (it can be expensive, but there are recipies online for making your own, which is basically watered down PVA really, I have loads of it for my craft stuff so would use that personall).

• 2 months later...

I came across this video last week.  I watched it a second time and decided to have a go myself with a small off-cut of ply, there and then (extremely rare for me to act so fast).  Results with plain toilet roll seem good, but I need some more practice.  Without thinking it through, I made the waves flow the wrong way, so instead of water lapping gently against a harbour wall, I've got a stream flowing the other way.  Good job I hadn't started the wall, I'll try to make it a stream in the countryside instead.  I still need to research some colours to paint it now.

He is a real character and an excellent modeller, he's done quite a few more YouTube videos.

I have been using toilet paper over styrofoam for rock faces. The toilet paper disguises the styrofoam texture.

• RMweb Gold

I got a similar result by staining the riverbed with greens and browns ,then pouring PVA on it once dry.

I left the PVA for a hour or so to level out then dragged it to create waves, going back to it after another hour or so to create even more waves.

It took about a week before it went completely opaque.

If you look towards the end of my layout thread you can see the results

Archived