The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

As well as weathering locos, I'm also been working on the rolling stock. This is the latest work-in-progress.

This is a Schienenwolf, or rail wolf / rail ripper. A German rail vehicle built to destroy railway lines through the use of an immensely strong, hook-shaped armored plough.

It predominantly saw service on the Eastern Front during the retreat out of Russian and Poland as part of the 'scorched earth' policy.

The Schienenwolf tore up railway lines, bridges and signaling equipment, and denying the Russian Army the use of the infrastructure to supply their own troops.

It was used attached to the rear of a loco - in the case in the photos it's two BR57's. The hook was lowered into the 4foot and as the locos moved along the line, pulled the rails out of alignment and split the sleepers.

The model is made from chassis of a short wheel based wagon that's had one end cut off. The hook and all parts in white are made from plasticard. It'll get a cost of grey paint over the next few days and then I'll have to find a couple of locos to haul it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Some nice modelling of a very interesting prototype ! Looks like a brutal piece of kit - I thought they just blew everything up, didn't realise tools like this existed !

Looking at the B&W image of the prototype, it looks like it has derailed itself (nearest rear wheel to photographer) - or is it an optical illusion ? I would imagine that derailments were quite common judging by the way this thing works, but then, I don't suppose anyone would notice it much behind two large engines, and with track damage being the whole point of this tool, they wouldn't be too worried about any damage done by the wheels being off the rails !

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress has been made on the fiddle yard. These are the cascade boards, all 4 of them.

They're 8 metres long in total and hold 4 tracks - 2 x east bound, 2 x west bound. Each track is sub-devised into 8 sections, giving a total of 16 in each direction. The trains stack up nose to tail and automatically shuffle forward as the train ahead of it departs - Well, that's the theory.

Each section is controlled by a Azatrax infra-red train detector connected to a bank of relays. This automatically stops the train as it approaches the end of the track section and then releases it once the section ahead is empty.

post-23643-0-67276400-1507473068_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-51587500-1507473127_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

More rolling stock completed.

This is the Vampir Train.

A BR52 with condensing tender hauling a company of infra-red equipped Panther tanks with Panzer Grenadier support being deployed to the western front.

The wagons are a combination of Roco and Fleischmann. The Panthers are WTM series while the Half-tracks are from Pegasus. All have had scratch built IR equipment added along with other modifications.

post-23643-0-84613300-1507660788_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-65133400-1507660816_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-99571500-1507660839_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Started a new project this morning. Two rail mounted Karl-Garat mortar to go into a train formation along with all the support vehicles ect and hauled by one of my BR52's.

It's coming along nicely, but I still need to figure out how to fit wheels into the wagons. Each has five axles so the middle three will need to float for the curves.

post-23643-0-10503200-1508010438_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

A bit more progress on the Karl-Gerat's this morning. Both are on temporary rolling chassis so I can work on coupling positions and stuff. It also allows me to test run them in train formation.

Regarding permanent wheeling, I'm going for two fixed axles at each end of the wagons with three floating axles in the middle. These three will be spring loaded as per the centre axles on Arnold three axles baggage car.

post-23643-0-51444200-1508069998_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-95842300-1508070042_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

More progress on the Karl-Gerat train last night.

5 Flieschmann were stripped down to the chassis, new decks added and repainted. These will carry the Munitionpanzers and the Whirlwind once they're finished.

A sixth wagon just got a repaint and will carry the parts of the Mortars that are removed while being transported by rail.

There's about another 6 wagons to add to this for other support vehicles, plus a few box wagons/tool vans for other bits. The total train will be around 15 wagons plus the 2 mortars.

post-23643-0-64925900-1508671512_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

As well as weathering locos, I'm also been working on the rolling stock. This is the latest work-in-progress.

This is a Schienenwolf, or rail wolf / rail ripper. A German rail vehicle built to destroy railway lines through the use of an immensely strong, hook-shaped armored plough.

It predominantly saw service on the Eastern Front during the retreat out of Russian and Poland as part of the 'scorched earth' policy.

The Schienenwolf tore up railway lines, bridges and signaling equipment, and denying the Russian Army the use of the infrastructure to supply their own troops.

It was used attached to the rear of a loco - in the case in the photos it's two BR57's. The hook was lowered into the 4foot and as the locos moved along the line, pulled the rails out of alignment and split the sleepers.

The model is made from chassis of a short wheel based wagon that's had one end cut off. The hook and all parts in white are made from plasticard. It'll get a cost of grey paint over the next few days and then I'll have to find a couple of locos to haul it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Isn't it extraordinary the ingenuity engendered by war!

It's been a quiet week on Remagen due to taking a couple day out to assist a friend with his HO Chinese layout. Finally got back to my layout this morning and completed the Schienenwolf Train with the addition of a Flak36 to the top of the tool van.

The BR38 has been reallocated from the Red Cross Train to this duty while the BR55 & 57 are being sorted.

post-23643-0-94635800-1509214681_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-82440000-1509214646_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-02825800-1509214819_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-36616200-1509214847_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-15990200-1509214882_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

As well as the Schienenwolf Train, I've also found time for a bit of progress on the Panzerzug Train.

The two armoured wagons have each been fitted with T34 and T80 turrets, and a Flak36.

Camouflaged scheme to go on next.

post-23643-0-19331100-1509217824_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-91171500-1509217852_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-99672200-1509217872_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

This week I hit rock bottom with the layout and almost gave up on the whole damn thing. Building a layout of this size as a one-man-band seems insane.

Anyway, I'm finally back in the swing of it again and finished rubbing down the yellow stuff ready for adding modrock over the weekend.

post-23643-0-92712200-1509650901_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

This week I hit rock bottom with the layout and almost gave up on the whole damn thing. Building a layout of this size as a one-man-band seems insane.

Anyway, I'm finally back in the swing of it again and finished rubbing down the yellow stuff ready for adding modrock over the weekend.

image.jpeg

Don't give up! Rome or perhaps Remagen wasn't built in a day. The layout is looking great and of high quality. Such a fantastic a different subject matter also. Il bet No masterpiece was ever completed without the artist getting fed up!

Cheers,

John

Disputes the hard time on the layout, I've still been working on the rolling stock.

With work on the Kart-Garet train on hold while I work on a 3D printed chassis for the rail wagons, I've turned my hand to the K5 Leopold Railgun that some of you may have spotted earlier.

This is the Dragon kit, and right now I have the basic gun carriage body built and say on two rolling chassis.

The wagons in the kit come preformed with deck and frames as one moulding. This makes it very difficult to drill out the frames for pin axles.

To over come this, I've removed the side frames and replaced them with two 3 axle bogies. After a bit of tinkering I've got buffer height right and the gun carriage sitting correct.

It runs pretty well and has no problem negotiating medium radius turnouts.

post-23643-0-83159200-1509742964_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-41683400-1509742987_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-19716300-1509743012_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

That's a novel approach to installing running wheels on the model, although when I made the Dragon model and replaced the static wheels, I used Farish 3-hole disc wagon wheel-sets. The axle ends were inserted in to holes drilled, using a pin vice, in to the inside of the bogie side frames in line with the axle boxes. The holes were firstly drilled with a 0.6mm diameter bit as deep as possible without breaking through the outside of the axle-boxes, then opened out for about two thirds of that depth with a larger 0.8mm bit and finally drilled for about a third of the depth with a 1.4mm bit. The wheel-sets were eased in by gently springing out one side - the plastic side-frame is fairly thick and does allow for some flexing without breaking.

post-33-0-40895700-1509744842_thumb.jpg

Once in place the frames were temporarily squeezed inwards to help open out the holes to the cone shape of the axle ends and allow the wheels to easily rotate. A little twisting, flexing and fettling was necessary to get some of them to freely spin without binding.

HTH.

post-33-0-16896700-1509744870_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4