RMweb

Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Another productive day on LION.  The wood veneer has arrived and will be perfect for the job. The chimney is tomorrows job to tackle, that will be a bit of fun. So onwards and upwards.

post-150-0-34024500-1432316282.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Peter. I have always had a penchant for the quirky, unusual locos and rolling stock.

The Gauge 1 scratch build I did many years ago of a South African prototype is one of my all time favourite builds.

post-150-0-06336100-1432324894_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

That was a Darjeeling loco? I always thought it was a SA one, (It was a very long time ago!)

I just followed the drawings a photos, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with that. :declare:

Hi all. After watching the Llandudno 2015 Air Show (grandstand view from the WB had amongst others the Red Arrows were superb) I managed to have time to make the chimney. Plus making a start on the coupling rods.

The chimney was made using a brass tube for the body. Sheet brass for the bass and the base cone. The cap is again, sheet brass soldered to the tube and fingers cut and folded out. The same as the flare on GWR tender corners.  Then a brass ring formed from handrail wire soldered on. The cap fingers were then filled by dropping low melt solder onto them.  Various files and formed the outer part and burrs in the mini drill formed the inner part.

All finished off with various grades of wet & dry. Although a small amount of filler will be required around the base of the chimney where it joins the base plate.

(All because I don't posses lathe and would not know where to begin on complex items such as domes and chimneys etc.)

post-150-0-49065100-1432410832.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

Thank you Steve.  They say variety is the spice of life.  I feel very fortunate that I can spend so much time having fun at the WB.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

Got as far as I can until painted.  After that stage the cladding to fit, boiler and fire box stay and boiler pipework.  Now it's on with the tender and also the fabrication of the buffers and couplings.

post-150-0-11741500-1432486624.jpg

• Like 5

Onwards with the tender.  Most of the main parts are cut out and prepared.  Assembly now started. If they don't fit, then that's my fault :locomotive:

post-150-0-39711400-1432582911.jpg

post-150-0-98041200-1432582937.jpg

OOPS, Just noticed the rear handrail has moved when soldering the corner. Easy fix before fitting the top/coal shut in place.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

I like the Darjeeling locos. I often look and wonder how they stay the right way up. Maybe a big one one day

Slight thread hijack:  Check out this model.  "Live Steam" magazine had an article about it a while back.  The engineering involved in keeping it balanced was pretty interesting...

(The first 5 minutes is kinda boring, the 2nd 5 minutes are damnned impressive...  ;) )

• Like 2

Hi all. Made some more progress today.  I just have what may be a tool box on the left of the backplate,  the buffers, couplings, brake shoes and hangers to make next then clem up and paint before final finishing.   Getting a little concerned that the name plates still have not arrived. (I will have to call them tomorrow)

post-150-0-09328000-1432756091.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Hi David.  I am at a loss regarding the 'dent' in the buffer beam you refer to.  I have many photos of LION and cannot see any dents. Regards, Ken

Hi David.  I am at a loss regarding the 'dent' in the buffer beam you refer to.  I have many photos of LION and cannot see any dents. Regards, Ken

When filming the 'Titfield Thunderbolt' Lion was hit by its train in the scene after the rope coupling had failed. It left a dent in the rear: I'm sure you don't really need one: just me being obtuse!

Hi all. Well under way now.  Chassis' are up and running. The small Mashima coupled to a Roxy 40:1 gearbox hides nicely in the firebox driving the rear driving axle.

The green is on and ready for the black.

I am quite chuffed with the couplings, they have turned out quite pleasing I think looking very much like the prototype.

Looking forward to adding the cladding and black lining.

post-150-0-06364300-1432930583.jpg

post-150-0-59596500-1432930608.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all. Just about finished.  There is copper pipes to add on the boiler, make and add boiler & firebox stay then varnish it. Not sure whether to use gloss or satin as yet.

post-150-0-85042300-1433083350.jpg

post-150-0-78554400-1433083361.jpg

post-150-0-32054500-1433083379.jpg

post-150-0-03639600-1433083393.jpg

post-150-0-71903300-1433083412.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 11

Hi Rob & Steve.  Thanks for the compliments. There is great sense of achievement when scratch building even though it can have it's frustrations making it up as you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Miss Prism.  I cannot argue that point one way or the other.  The instructions give a separate sheet listing all the differences in the Tr Pol & Pen. The flares are not mentioned at all. I do have a nice photo of her at Welshpool Junction and shows clearly with the cab flares, it does not give a date but obviously many years ago.  On the other hand I have a very grainy photo of her with straight cab sides. So I guess both may be correct, just depends what year we are talking of?   Regards, Ken 

Ken

Sorry to resurrect a conversation from a year last Spring!

I'm hoping to build a model of 3265 in early 30's condition, I spoke to Geoff at Gladiator today, and he told me that the kit won't be available this year. He can sell me a 32xx, but I'm interested to know what needs to be modified before I commit.

Do you by any chance still have the list of what's what?

And references to any helpful photos?

Would be grateful for any guidance

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Simon. Wow, that's a tall order.  I have only built the one Tre Pol & Pen.  As I remember, that it Geoff supplied me cam with the alternative etches for that loco.  So as to the modifications, I cannot say.

I used photos off the web plus the one I have scanned from my GWR book which I have sent on a PM due to copyrights.  Hope this will help.  Regards Ken

Edited by jazz