Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

This one must feel like sleep walking after the 9F. Anything with more than 3 pairs of wheels always gives me the collie wobbles.

Hi Kenton.  Yes, this is a bit of a doddle compared to the 9F.

Did not quite make completion today (due to having to take the wife out :mosking: )

The dome needs a bit if adjusting to get it to sit down on the boiler plus a few small bits and bobs to finish and then ready to prime.

post-150-0-01868100-1446065544.jpg

• Like 10

Hi all.  Got back to the B4 today and finished it ready for the off.    The real issue was clearances for the cross heads between the con rods and steps, very tight requiring a bit of shaving off and eliminating all traces of side play on the leading axle.

I think it's a grand little prototype,  full of character.

post-150-0-41606400-1446315774.jpg

post-150-0-43355900-1446315820.jpg

post-150-0-10228900-1446315847.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  I've been a bit quiet on here this week, that is not to say I've been quiet on the WB though.  I have been beavering away on the JLTRT 56xx.  I will despatching this one fully painted for a change.

I like how you can choose to use the resin smokebox/boiler/firebox or use the etches instead. (Of course this is reflected in the cost if the kit)

I am using the resin casting.

post-150-0-93044700-1447612944.jpg

post-150-0-41264900-1447612965.jpg

• Like 7

More progress today. Cab interior and a few little body details to do. Then get the chassis  finished for painting. It has presented only a few minor tweaks required. The worst part was tweaking the bunker rear.

post-150-0-03529900-1447707777.jpg

OOOPs Just noticed the tank beading has lifted a little at the front.  I guess a tad too much heat soldering on the tank filler. Good job that's an easy fix tomorrow.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.  No, I have not forgotten y'all.  I have been moving my mother into a residential home.  It has taken a LOT of time and effort and that it is only the start.  Next job is sorting out her bungalow and and finally getting it on the market. (That is January's job)

In the meantime a small amount of time has been given to starting the next kit whilst waiting for the weather to improve to get the 56xx paint and varnish finished.

In the meantime here is the Zero Zephyers GWR 1366 class build so far.

post-150-0-04044900-1449408833.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

Thanks Pete.  Even though mother said she thought it's time to move into the Abbeyfield Home, it is still a difficult  time. Very hard for here to decided what to let go of and what to take with her. She has friends who already are residents, so that helps.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.  No, I have not forgotten y'all.  I have been moving my mother into a residential home.  It has taken a LOT of time and effort and that it is only the start.  Next job is sorting out her bungalow and and finally getting it on the market. (That is January's job)

In the meantime a small amount of time has been given to starting the next kit whilst waiting for the weather to improve to get the 56xx paint and varnish finished.

In the meantime here is the Zero Zephyers GWR 1366 class build so far.

attachicon.gif1366 class.jpg

Hi Ken, that looks much better than the Agenoria 1366 kit I've still not finished. Are you building it for yourself?

Hi all. Back again. I've been pre occupied for the past couple of weeks as we have put the house up for sale, so only been able to continue with

Tre Pol & Pen in drips & dabs. However I've had a good couple of days on the WB and just gotten her finished. Being from the Gladiator stable, she went together very well. One has to be careful as the kit is for variants of the the Dukedog and Tre Pol & Pen has addition etches to use in place of some of the Dukedog etches.

The bogie is sprung on a central pivot post. The leading driver rests on axle stops and is sprung to allow downward movement only. The rear, powered axle is fixed. The loco is naturally nose heavy but the bogie spring keeps things on an even keel and allows the bogie to float as well.

The move to what will be our 'retirement bungalow" and the final move for us, I will be able to have the layout inside instead of in the garage as it is at present. It will be part of the workshop. (The current WB is in a small bedroom not large enough for a layout.)

Here is Tre Pol & Pen.

attachicon.gifIMG_1400.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1398.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1402.jpg

Ken

I've just bought a Gladiator Dukedog with the intention of building Tre Pol & Pen. Any info you have on her appearance would be welcome - my target date is 1930/31, so I guess pretty much as built. Flared cabsides? Which tender? Dimensions of front windows? Any other differences? These concerns don't quite keep me awake at nights, but...

Any pointers would be very welcome

Best

Simon

Edit due to ludicrous smellchecker

Edited by Simond

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris. Alas, it's not for me but is one I would like in my collection.

I didn't even realise that ZZ did a 1366 kit, pity it's out of production. The resin boiler/tank assembly looks better than my brass version that 'helpfully' came pre-bent to the wrong shape...

I didn't even realise that ZZ did a 1366 kit, pity it's out of production. The resin boiler/tank assembly looks better than my brass version that 'helpfully' came pre-bent to the wrong shape...

It's possible Adrian Swain has a kit hidden away in his house but you are correct, it's never going to be produced again.  His resin bits are excellent.

Right on, it's not in production, this ones been on a shelf for some time.

Ken

I've just bought a Gladiator Dukedog with the intention of building Tre Pol & Pen. Any info you have on her appearance would be welcome - my target date is 1930/31, so I guess pretty much as built. Flared cabsides? Which tender? Dimensions of front windows? Any other differences? These concerns don't quite keep me awake at nights, but...

Any pointers would be very welcome

Best
Simon

Edit due to ludicrous smellchecker

Simon, Tre Pol & Pen is a separate kit from the Duke Dog. Perhaps Geoff (Gladiator) may be able to help here. He's very approachable.  Ken

Hi Ken

I did and he is, but he doesn't have one! Unfortunately not likely to in the short term either.

I bought the Dukedog on the basis that about 97% will be useable, now looking for the other details.

Thanks

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Well now, 2016 oh boy. A very Happy New Year to you all.   Back from gallivanting to sunny Florida and damp Somerset it's back to the workbench.

Relaxing today by priming the GWR 1366 class and making a start on the JLTRT GWR 42xx class by opening the box and prepping some of the etches.

Photos of the 1366 class.

post-150-0-98989900-1451671351.jpg

post-150-0-63098800-1451671440.jpg

• Like 10

biggrin.gif As hoped for, all finished and ready to prepare for painting.

The kit was no where near as bad as fisrt feared. It has gone very well. No more adjustments were needed than on most kits and nothing that caused problems in doing so. I am now looking forward the second one which is going to be in the later LMS condition.

I think it's a very attractive prototype.

The resing castings were a perfect fit and saved a lot of works too.

Here she is ready for cleaning up.

attachicon.gifDSC03709.JPG

That is beautiful I must say. It is my favorite loco afterall but you've done a fantastic job on it. This kit will be re released this year from what I've read.