RMweb

Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Guys

Sorry to Hijack your thread Ken, but when I initially ordered 'black etch' via e-bay the tin arrived with a label marked APW paints www.apwestern.co.uk tel. 01793 614040, who appear to be the supplier. The main label shows that it was produced by a company called Clostermann Coatings tel. 0845 0766 200. and, as OzzyO indicated, it was around £8. It has excellent coverage and showed no propensity to chip or come off. I painted a GWR tender completely in the stuff, masked and sprayed the green, and you could not tell that it was not Halfords Satin Black. Also being only one coat it retained all the small detail nice and sharp.

Regards

Sandy

Thanks for the info on the black etch primer. I have already ordered two tins from where OzzyO mentioned. I look forward to using it on the current build, a Slater's LMS 1262 class 0-4-4T.

Regards Ken

Hi Guys

Sorry to Hijack your thread Ken, but when I initially ordered 'black etch' via e-bay the tin arrived with a label marked APW paints www.apwestern.co.uk tel. 01793 614040, who appear to be the supplier. The main label shows that it was produced by a company called Clostermann Coatings tel. 0845 0766 200. and, as OzzyO indicated, it was around £8. It has excellent coverage and showed no propensity to chip or come off. I painted a GWR tender completely in the stuff, masked and sprayed the green, and you could not tell that it was not Halfords Satin Black. Also being only one coat it retained all the small detail nice and sharp.

Regards

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Can I ask what you used as thinners for this paint?

Thanks,

B

Definately aerosol. (It is available as liquid and they sell the correct thinners) It's on their website.

Doh!! can't figure how I assumed it was non aerosol having read the posts again. Perhaps I'll win the dumbest question of the week award.

As a spray can, it sounds even more interesting.

Thanks,

B

Hi Guys

Regards

Sandy

I used the same black etch primer for the chassis of the 58XX I'm currently building. It did the job brilliantly. I'm considering using it to paint the body when I finish it.

Really nice work, looks fantastic. I'm building 'John Owen' the first engine from the same branch, but mine's a little smaller...

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__667994

Thanks for the comment. I was kinda sorry to sell her on, but I did not really have a reason to keep it as I switched to HO after I purchased the kit and I still have quite a collection of 7mm.

Hi All. Very pleased to see the sitye is up and running once again. That's to the unsung tech guys behind the scenes beavering away.

I have been tackling a rare kit on my WB, I cannot believe in four decades of kit building this is only the third loco from Slater's I have had on the WB. This one is stamped 1985. It's their MR/LMS 0-4-4T Johnson Tank Loco.

Building her pretty much as per instructions dictate. The only exception is the springing of the hornblocks on both the chassis and bogie. I'm not using the very small supplied springs, I am using my usual piano wire method as I think that is more robust and works extremely well with very easy adjustment to the tension on the springing.

I think the photo show this very well. No it's onwards with the body.

post-150-0-65426200-1335213336_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter. The only problem I have so far is the connecting rods hit the running plate as built. So I will have to use spacers to lift the body a little. The chassis and body so far is a perfect fit in assembly.

Hello Ken,

is the footplate cut out for the connecting rods?

OzzyO.

Yes, they are. It's not the oilers that foul, it's the main body of the rods. It's no problem, I have had this happen on many kits with these type of rods that have small splashers for the ends of the rods. Easily solved by fitting thin spacers across the chassis front and rear.

Hi all. It's been a bit slow on the progress of the Johnson 4-4-0T. (I was admitted to the cardiac unit for a couple of stents to be fitted and the surgeon then decided it was not advisable. So I'm now waiting for a double bypass)

Anyway, that's only a minor hic cup. it's back to the WB. I have only a few castings to fit, sandboxes and pipes and a few bits & bobs in the cab. Then she can be primed. This will be an ideal chance to try the etch black primer, recommended by some of you, to paint the chassis.

post-150-0-43907200-1336075009_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hope all goes well on the medical side Ken. At least, modelling is a great convalescent activity.

That is a lovely looking engine, one of my favourite Johnson designs. Any chance of seeing how you did the bogie? My 4mm version is sitting at the back of the bench waiting for me to rethink the bogie design.

Nick

Thank you guys for your good wishes. I have been told it will be a couple of waiting for the surgery, so plenty of time to brood on it. :yes:

The bogie truck acts as a prototypical radial one. Each axle has sprung hornblocks. Side control is by horizontal springs. The main truck body rests on a rubbing plate and is unsprung. (Springing taken care of with the hornblocks.) The loco chassis also has sprung hornblocks making the whole unit ride smoothly.

I hope the photos show the arrangement.

post-150-0-07455600-1336115605_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-77849400-1336115668_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2

Hello Jazz,

looking good.

Are you going to fit the motor pointing to the cab, so you can get some weight in the smokebox and boiler up to the tank fronts?

OzzyO.

PS. I just went back to mess# 685 and can see the motor restraint.

Edited by ozzyo

Hi OzzyO. The motor mount will be removed as I am using a Roxey 40:1 gear box and Mashima 1833. Weight is definately not an issue with this model as the boiler is a very heavy brass turning. In fact she could use some weight in the bunker to depress the bogie axle springs. The gearbox is on the rear driver, the motor vertical to the rear.

Thanks for posting the photos of th rear bogie Ken, this will greatly help with my G5 build. Sorry to hear about your health problem, from what I'm told these things are somewhat routine so I bet you'll be back on the bench in no time,

All the very best

Mick

Jazz: now we KNOW you are really an expert modeller.

If I had a heart condition, I wouldn't dare model, I'd get too worked up at it when the model inevitably went wrong.

Best regards for your health. Jeff.

Hi Jeoff. Thanks for you appreciated wishes.

Modelling and it's challenges is so relaxing I find it very therapeutic. (It's the toss pots in Westminster that get me wound up!)

As my GP and heart surgeon say, I'm very fit and healthy, I feel great. It's just I have some a couple of narrowed arteries inside the heart that are too difficult for stents to be fitted.

I'm the lucky guy, an awful lot of folks do not know they have this problem until one day, wham!

I am looking forward to the op and to get things on an even keel again. Kindest regards, Ken