Hornby King Class

If anyone is interested, Kernow Model Centre are doing the recently released King Class for just shy of £110.00 (BR and GWR versions in green) in their Easter Sale.

The Blue liveried version is a bit more at about £125.Bargain if you want one and there appears to be a few in stock.

• RMweb Gold

The blue is ok.Performance is quietly impressive.The green versions need appropriate weathering to make them acceptable. I would have to say that at current asking prices,Hornby's Kings are really rather good.

That will not prevent me indulging in a couple or so of Hattons DJM 's when they appear.From having nothing apart from Lima or Hornby bodge ups,we are are shortly to be spoiled for choice.Now,going logically onwards,some Collett Sunshines to currently acceptable standards would make my cup run over....those and of course a dining car set. .....and so it goes.

• RMweb Gold

The green looks insipid to my eyes and await the Hattons version instead.

I was thinking much the same,

If Hornby had painted it the right colour this would be a very simple decision, but given how awful Hornby's gwr green is, I will wait for Hattons...

• RMweb Gold

Could be worth a punt just for the good price.

I know with my Hornby B17 finished in BR green I brush painted the green with Johnsons Klear to lift the colour and give it depth. It was then completed with an airbrush application of Valejo satin varnish. This certainly improved the green no end.

The other temptation would be to remove the Great @ Western from the tender and replace it with G @ W for a post war version.

Earl of Mount Edgecombe looks a good price also.

Cheers,

Mark

Well with the VAT knocked off I took the bait, for 90 notes it is a no brainer really. I was going to go for a STEAM version but that would be an extra 70 notes which I could buy another loco with. As it is mainly going to sit on the layout and do the odd rail tour it will do for me.

I thank you for the heads up although my wallet doesn't !   :jester:  :jester:

Archived