The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Vacancy for a Postman

vitalspark

You mean I may still be getting vets bills for another 10 years?!..

Seriously though I am delighted that you have such long lived and healthy companions.

Horses are wonderful animals and Ally has served my daughter well jumping BSJA until his retirement which he has earned.

He still looks amazing and like yours still canters across the fields on a good day..although he is a bit stiff first thing.. like the rest of us oldies.

Dave.

One of the horses I regularly rode until 2014 died at the age of 26 - she was a small part-Ardennes mare of not more than about 15 hands and would go absolutely anywhere. At her advanced age I never used a saddle and always rode bareback to reduce dead unsprung weight. The livery yard where she was based for the last years of her life had a stonking big industrial estate opposite (B&Q occupy a major part of it) so she would hack across the road and go round it, maybe leaving the odd deposit in a marked parking bay, or head over the bridge crossing the Midland Main Line and join the bridleway into London Colney.

I like to think that, if there is a such thing as a previous life, then she was probably a revolutionary or subversive element due to her habit of leaving deposits in residential streets. The more expensive the street, the more likely there would be a deposit - the equivalent of breaking wind in the palaces of the mighty.

Dogs are not the only dangerous pets for Postmen, my wife had to give our postwoman first aid when she put her hand in the letterbox of the house next door, and had it very badly scratched by their vicious cat.

Horrible animal.

Jim

Beautiful creatures and I could think of more horrible humans than cats.

post-2371-0-93718600-1473269720.jpg

Only 1 horsepower..seems like more when you don't have any brakes!

24 years old and still used daily..and yes its tax exempt

attachicon.gif13879403_10155158020458009_4166157420871989108_n.jpg

Dave.

Meet Bill, a purebred Irish Draught I originally had nine years ago and rejoined last year after an all-too-brief dalliance with a Thoroughbred. 21 years old. In his life he has done practically everything including hunting, and racing once over 6f in aid of Cambridge-with-Enfield Chace Hunt. Nowadays he's more of a cruise liner than a speedboat, but he can still pull when he feels like it:

post-6879-0-01744400-1473272994_thumb.jpg

...and I generally ride him bareback as well. Very fond of anything remotely edible, he can leave hedges denuded of foliage just by passing. Never says no to Kendal Mint Cake.

Seeing the super German Shepherd, I worked for a few years as a courier driver and regularly delivered to some people close to our own Tony Wright. They had two German Shepherd's, She was a very highly qualified Martial Arts lady and her husband was less qualified ,but still well qualified.They said if they were out just leave parcels on the Bins which required me leaning over the fence into doggy's space. I was not keen despite being a dog lover.I made the remark they were unlikely ever to get burgled by anyone local.

However I am given to understand the unthinkable happened.

..to balance things up in the menagerie.. last one.

Back seat driver.

attachicon.gifIMG_7075.jpeg

Mine is scared of everything flashing past, so won't get on the seat when we're travelling. She just sits in the drivers seat watching for me to come back if I leave her on her own!

post-7091-0-58577800-1473274906.jpg

Taken with my grotty phone camera with lots of reflections on the windscreen (and no doubt some dirt too!).

Meet Bill, a purebred Irish Draught I originally had nine years ago and rejoined last year after an all-too-brief dalliance with a Thoroughbred. 21 years old. In his life he has done practically everything including hunting, and racing once over 6f in aid of Cambridge-with-Enfield Chace Hunt. Nowadays he's more of a cruise liner than a speedboat, but he can still pull when he feels like it:

attachicon.gifIMG_20160131_154441_1473253495425.jpg

...and I generally ride him bareback as well. Very fond of anything remotely edible, he can leave hedges denuded of foliage just by passing. Never says no to Kendal Mint Cake.

He's a strong looking boy right enough ..handsome lad.

We also had an Irish Draught x Thoroughbred mare called Grace a great all rounder including eventing so says it all.

Good hardy breed with a nice temperament but unfortunately she suffered from many ailments later in her life and we lost her a couple of years ago.

Ally is Hanovarian w/blood and was always a bit arrogant but brave in his competing years..not the best combination when trying not collect him for a fence.

He's mellowed now and loves his retirement. 

Dave.

Mine is scared of everything flashing past, so won't get on the seat when we're travelling. She just sits in the drivers seat watching for me to come back if I leave her on her own!

attachicon.gifDSC00628.JPG

Taken with my grotty phone camera with lots of reflections on the windscreen (and no doubt some dirt too!).

Shes a cracker.

Showed her to Graf..he says he wants to meet her and he'll take her for a drive.

Possibly a bit of doggin on the menu I suspect!

Dave.

Dave I thought that was

"you get out and open and close the gate, I'm the driver"

AS people may have noticed the dangerous dog in my avatar!!! Indiana will do anything for cheese...doesn't matter what type. I have never even shown him Wallace and Gromit!

The Gas meter reader who has to go in too our back yard to read the gas meter once every 6months or so would not do it until he was formally introduced to the dog. Indiana smelt his knees, then checked his belt... then wanted to play fetch! So much for them saying "dangerous dog"

He does have his moments though.... 

My father who is a vet summed him up perfectly.... "life support system for a nose". He is 3 and a half still thinks he has the run of the place.... 

I know one thing about him... he understands people better than they think... I was not feeling like being social able to the family the other night, dinner and then disappeared to bed. The Dog the following morning watched me intently  making sure I did everything in the right order rather than his usual casual disinterest!

• RMweb Gold

Our ACD used to do that Meerkat thing, must be the collie heritage. Sadly, at 11 years old, back end is not so strong. Very stiff this morning and it looks like a trip to the vet is called for this afternoon.

Was running around fine yesterday evening. Still thinks he is a young dog and overdoes things.

Archived