Cutting greyboard - hard work or what?

So after a few fun Metcalfe kits, I decided it was time to move to the next level - downloaded kits. What no one seems to mention enough is just how knackering it is cutting through 2mm greyboard. Are there any shortcuts/tips out there, or do I just need to knuckle down and get on with it? (I suspect 'man up' is no longer appropriate?) I've just finished cutting for a tunnel entrance, a mere 5 sheets or so, and am slightly dreading the dozen+ station platform and station building awaiting me. I used a stanley knife instead of a craft knife this time (better), any suitable power tools out there? How long does the blade last? Is there a way to get full use out of a stalney knife blade that is unused apart from the first 3mm? I am a nipper in his 40s un-used to hard work...

2mm is a bit too thick really & it will knacker knife blades very quickly.I find that photo mount board from Hobbycraft or similar is much kinder & is available in large sheets.

Ray.

I use a craft knife with snap off blades for most cuts, and a Swann-Morton No 1 blade for fine bits. It's not the easiest of jobs, but I haven't found it too knackering yet. So far I've been mostly building 4mm Scalescenes kits, but I may have a different opinion when I start on the 7mm scale factory buildings for Cheapside Yard!

• RMweb Premium

2mm is a bit too thick really & it will knacker knife blades very quickly.I find that photo mount board from Hobbycraft or similar is much kinder & is available in large sheets.

Ray.

And a rotary cutter is far better than a knife. Most card blunts ordinary knife blades very quickly resulting in torn and ragged edges to the cut. A box cutter with a 'snap off' blade is another way of making sure that you always have a sharp blade.

Or use foamboard instead of card. Or plasticard perhaps, easier to cut as you can score it and then snap it to the score line with enough scoring. Theres plenty of articles in magazines and online about using either.

The larger size snap off knives that come in packs of 5 or 7 from Poundshops are what I use, the blades are thinner than a stanley knife blade so cut easier, 3 or 4 light passes with the blade usually gets me through 2mm greyboard, if you start having to press to hard then its time to snap off for a new edge.

I use the smaller snap off knives for 1mm card, and a scapel for paper.

I always use a new blade in a good stout Stanley knife...not the retractable one either as I find these can retract when you are putting pressure on them as the retracting button is often on the top, there is often slack in the mechanism so the blade moves from side to side and can screw up the cut or put pressure on the point of the blade so it snaps. Also keep the blade flatter to the surface your cutting so you use more of the blade in the actual cut, especially on thick material and reduces the risk of the point of the blade snapping off. And not to mention have a good 2ft steel rule to cut along and make several passes increasing the pressure each pass.

Oh and just in addition if you are ever after any 2mm greyboard or thinner let me know as I have a load of scrap stuff at work. Sheet about 16 3/4" x 11 1/2" and some smaller approx A4 sheets

Archived