Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Scale2

Hello,

It so happens that the 2 mm Association can apparently supply the correct diameter wheels for my favourite loco, the LNER ex GCR 2-8-0 class O4, whereas these are not available in 3 mm scale [according to the 2010 price list I've been sent] and that has set me thinking.

I read that 2 mm Fine Scale standards approximate to EM in "OO gauge" and I'm wondering if anyone has ever thought of modelling to 2 mm scale in the same manner that Stewart Hine proposed for what is sometimes known as Scale3.

As far as I can tell, Stewart Hine's dimensions are pretty accurate as regards the prototype.

Does anyone know if there are any dimensions which would be suitable please or given a shove, I might produce them myself.

The track gauge could be 9.417 mm for example !

I'm seriously thinking of having a go.

No, I'm not proposing another scale / gauge that everyone else should follow, this is or could easily be a personal crusade / challenge if you like and I can clearly see the pitfalls, but who cares !

It might keep this old geezer's remaining brain cells and eyesight doing something challenging. 

Any help or comments would be warmly welcomed, 

Thanks.

Keith

One Aussie modeller works to S3.5 (but is careful not to show others how he did it) - even finer than P87.

fiNe160 already has a number of followers. S2/S152 should be possible. You are only really limited by your eyesight and dexterity.

There's also Scale148 which allows for Ready to Run on either fine standard 9mm track or accurate 9.7 something. Only a small group at the moment but worth a look at.

I wonder if the 9.7mm branch has had any joy with production of suitable jigs, tools, etc.

Thank you, that's very interesting but I wonder why anyone would choose a ratio of 1 / 148, which to my simple mind seems a bit arbitary and gives a peculiar scale of 2.059 mm to 1' 0". The 2 mm Association wheels as far as I can see don't seem to correspond with this scale very appropriately.

My thoughts are for an accurate interpretation of the prototype dimensions to a scale of 2 mm to 1' 0", or as near as can be practically achieved.

I will try and produce a set of dimensions for Scale2 and for anyone interested, apart from myself.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Keith

Thank you, that's very interesting but I wonder why anyone would choose a ratio of 1 / 148,....

I think you need to ask the likes of LoneStar, Graham Farish and (British) Minitrix that question. It may have been something to do with the motor sizes available when they started, much the same as why HO "grew" to OO over here.

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts are for an accurate interpretation of the prototype dimensions to a scale of 2 mm to 1' 0", or as near as can be practically achieved.

I will try and produce a set of dimensions for Scale2 and for anyone interested, apart from myself.

The Scalefour Society have a PDF which give the exact 4mm equivalents of all the track and wheel dimensions http://www.scalefour.org/downloads/p4-standards-1-2v2-4.pdf  You could take their values and divide by 2.

The tricky bit will be reducing the flanges and flangeways to the scale values and still keeping stock on the track.  The 2mmFS wheels will need to have their flanges reduced from 0.30mm effective width and 0.51mm depth to 0.18mm effective width and 0.18mm depth.  These are very small numbers :)

Most P4 modellers use some form of springing or compensation - good luck

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you, that's very interesting but I wonder why anyone would choose a ratio of 1 / 148, which to my simple mind seems a bit arbitary and gives a peculiar scale of 2.059 mm to 1' 0". The 2 mm Association wheels as far as I can see don't seem to correspond with this scale very appropriately.

Keith

That's because 2mm:1ft scale used by the 2mm Scale Association is not 1:148. They use 152:1.

1:148 is the peculiar and historic, rather than logical, British N Gauge scale, and 1:160 is American/continental N scale. Both of those, and Japanese 1:150, use 9mm gauge track.

Then there is the Scale148 standard, as already mentioned.

It might be worth doing a little research before trying to invent yet another set of standards around the 2mm/1ft family of scales.

G

• RMweb Premium

That's because 2mm:1ft scale used by the 2mm Scale Association is not 1:148. They use 152:1.

It appears I have been doing it wrong all these years and my models are all far too small. If that is the correct scale ratio, I should be making everything 152 times bigger than full-size!  :scratchhead:

Archived