Slag from British steel work

Depends what it is going to be used for. Slag for adding to cement during manufacturing would be finely ground and conveyed in Vee-tanks of the sort used for finished cement. Slag that had been crushed for fill, such as the 2 million or so tons brother-in-law bought for a project in Cardiff, could be represented by fine sand.

On steelworks where I worked many years ago the slag was high phosphate, ground to powder and sold as fertilizer. 

It was available from agriculture suppliers (and some gardening outlets) as "Basic Slag Fertilizer"

On steelworks where I worked many years ago the slag was high phosphate, ground to powder and sold as fertilizer. 

It was available from agriculture suppliers (and some gardening outlets) as "Basic Slag Fertilizer"

It was often used for 'top-dressing' grassland; you could always tell which fields had been treated, as they were a deep, rich, green colour.

Slag travelling in open wagons - i.e. not the powdered product - is possibly going for use as roadstone. There was a slag-to-tarmacadam plant at Frodingham in the 1930s, and it's probably still in operation, although nowadays the stone would probably be shipped without the bitumen. Therefore, any material that represents fine-screen stone would do it. One would have to find out the colour when it is not covered in tar.

Noch 15959

$_12.JPG[/quote

I've racked my brains to include a cameo with those naughty ladies, but nothing came to mind that was explainable should my daughters point it out....

Global warming mini-tornado set piece?

• RMweb Premium

Yes, most amusing, I can see that many of you have the Jim Davidson bumper book of humour on your shelves.

However it might have been more helpful to direct Andrew to some images of waste steel slag which appears to be mid to light grey with a hint of rusty brown. It looks to be more flaky than ballast. I'm not sure what to use to model it though it does look a bit like porridge oats in texture.

• 3 months later...

Yes, most amusing, I can see that many of you have the Jim Davidson bumper book of humour on your shelves.

However it might have been more helpful to direct Andrew to some images of waste steel slag which appears to be mid to light grey with a hint of rusty brown. It looks to be more flaky than ballast. I'm not sure what to use to model it though it does look a bit like porridge oats in texture.

More helpful, but a damn sight less amusing . What's wrong with Jim anyway ?

That slag stuff looks like tea leaves to me, try those

Andrew, slag is taken from the furnaces and is allowed to cool at the steelworks. Then it is excavated, just like any other rock, crushed, and then it is ready for use. So it usually looks just like crushed stone.

You can simply represent it by using a coarse modelling ballast. Mixing different colours helps, greys from very dark through to light shades and rust reds are the main colours. Don't mix the colours evenly, keep it patchy.

Some slag can have an aerated appearance, like it has little bubbles in it, and some can have a glassy, shiny appearance.

• Like 1

However it might have been more helpful to direct Andrew to some images of waste steel slag

Just for clarity, that is not basic slag but 'skull'. When hot metal is run through troughs and launders (chutes), and is poured from ladles, it leaves behind a thin encrustation of slag and metal. When cooled it is peeled off by cranes or chipped off which accounts for its flake like appearance. Unlike slag it has a very high metal content and is broken up and recycled back through the furnace.

• Like 1

Where I buy slag material for my ingot mould tipper wagon from model rail shop and I don't want buy cat litter NO THANKS

But I prefer buy at model rail shop

Thank you

The ingot-mould tipplers had a bed of ordinary railway ballast on the floor, upon which the ingot moulds were laid. Until they started cutting chunks out of the side panels, they used to return to Landore and Dowlais with scrap moulds for remelting. Ingot moulds are available from this gentleman:-

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_040.htm

More helpful, but a damn sight less amusing . What's wrong with Jim anyway ?

... I'm reminded of the "diary entry" (usually, but not always, attributed to Benny Hiil). "I met Jim Davidson, a very funny man and a gentleman; and spoke to all three.." Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2

post-15238-0-22862300-1469465681_thumb.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/carnforthironworks/today

You can go and get your own for free.

Keer estuary nature reserve West of Carnforth. Follow the signs to Warton raceway. They host banger racing on the site of the old Carnforth Haematite Ironworks slag bank.

Fresh crushed limestone is a close representation. 

• Like 1

When I worked in the Chrysler / Mitsubishi Foundry here in Adelaide the metal was melted in a coke fired Cupola that also used Limestone as a filtering agent.

The Limestone produced the bulk of the slag that would be run off when the Cupola was "tapped" to access  the Cast Iron.

So I agree with Cokebreeze re the use of fresh , crushed limestone being a good representation, it basically being exactly that.

Actually 'Cuttle fish' suitably painted and carved to shape would probably do a very good job of representing large cooled pieces.

The old Pumice stone is probably very similar produced in a natural  process ( Volcanic )

Kevan