Mazak 'rot' ... arrghhh!

Joe MCMLXI

22 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

TBH you've done remarkably well if you've only noticed the problem in the last couple of years on an R2421 as this is one of the initial batch of 3 which were very badly affected. I had an R2413 which had developed serious issues by around 2009.
Hornby did offer free replacement chassis blocks for these affected versions but that was a decade back - I'm afraid that as far as manufacturer support is concerned a 19 year old model is now well beyond the statute of limitations.

As noted elsewhere in this thread, many of these affected earlier locos have donated their innards to Lima based Class 31s

Yes I think you are right, 2007 doesn't seem that long ago though, must be getting old. I've kept my Lima 31105 Bescot TMD in my display case for years, it looks as though as it might be getting an upgrade.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

BH you've done remarkably well if you've only noticed the problem in the last couple of years on an R2421 as this is one of the initial batch of 3 which were very badly affected.

I bought several of the affected chassis very cheaply, all with the end platforms dropped off due to the rot, and all are still running many years later: mine are inside old Airfix GMR class 30 body shells, (replacing long ago worn out Athearn PA1 mechs). I expect the bogie centres are now probably a millimetre further apart than they should be, but Hornby kindly put splined connections in the drive shafts so they all still run sweetly..

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

When I get round tuit I'll post some pics of my Hornma conversion! The Hornby body and chassis was only fit for scrap. shame, because it was the type without the headcode box. Or is ti a Limby conversion??

Thanks, Looking forward to seeing it !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, roythebus1 said:

...Or is it a Limby conversion??

The more euphonious of the options. Likewise Horfix or Airby for mine? I have gone for the latter. (But off all my RTR combos the name I like best is 'Hornby-Doubly': H-D 8F body on a current Hornby 8F mechanism.)

1 hour ago, roythebus1 said:

The Hornby body and chassis was only fit for scrap. shame, because it was the type without the headcode box...

I found such a 'skinhead' body - slightly cracked down below - on a club sales table for little money, and am still dithering over the possibility of grafting the roof entire onto a 'scalped' Airfix GMR body. Not seen anyone do such a thing.