Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Porth Merryn, Small Cornish Fishing Port

Andrew P

I made a start on the Quay Side this afternoon, a piece of (ex firework Rocket stick) wood along the bottom to give the wall relief angle that will add to the effects later.

post-9335-0-12125100-1464709632_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-25386500-1464709660_thumb.jpg

Then using Slaters Plasticard Cotswold Stone sheeting I've fixed them in place.

post-9335-0-78497100-1464709779_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I made a start on the Quay Side this afternoon, a piece of (ex firework Rocket stick) wood along the bottom to give the wall relief angle that will add to the effects later.

attachicon.gifSea Wall 1 001.JPG

attachicon.gifSea Wall 1 002.JPG

attachicon.gifSea Wall 1 003.JPG

:good: :good: :good:

Hi Andy,

Brilliant stone work on the quayside. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and hearing the sea lapping gently against it. Ahhhh! Don't forget an ice cream too or maybe munch on a nice red, juicy tomato or apple from the quay stores? Beautiful detail as always!

Chris :)

This evening all I've done is to make the Steps for the Quay which should be dry tomorrow, I've also fitted the Blades for a couple of Dummy Trap Points, Dummy point rodding will be fitted later.

post-9335-0-21753700-1464727022_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-40378000-1464727044_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-53617600-1464727062_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-25398300-1464727079_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62638700-1464727103_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Andy

You can position your "extra" rail against the outside of the opposite rail to the one you're close to (if you can file a tip on the end of the rail like a point blade end). The idea being that the trap point would deflect the runaway away from the running line.

As you have them at present the wagon could possibly ride over the extra rail and continue the way that it was going (erroneously) instead of derailing.

I've probably not explained it too well so have a look at the Peco trap point.

Andy

You can position your "extra" rail against the outside of the opposite rail to the one you're close to (if you can file a tip on the end of the rail like a point blade end). The idea being that the trap point would deflect the runaway away from the running line.

As you have them at present the wagon could possibly ride over the extra rail and continue the way that it was going (erroneously) instead of derailing.

I've probably not explained it too well so have a look at the Peco trap point.

Thanks Ray, yes the Peco one is only one Blade but on the outside, I'll change it tomorrow, thanks for the tip off.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifSea Wall 1 001.JPG

attachicon.gifSea Wall 1 002.JPG

attachicon.gifSea Wall 1 003.JPG

Love the dock side mate, good choice of stone, are you going to have some small boats tied up ?

Love the dock side mate, good choice of stone, are you going to have some small boats tied up ?

Only if I can find some at a decent price, the Bachmann ones are about £50 each so it may well be the Harborne Hobbies ones.

Hi Andy,

Brilliant stone work on the quayside. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and hearing the sea lapping gently against it. Ahhhh! Don't forget an ice cream too or maybe munch on a nice red, juicy tomato or apple from the quay stores? Beautiful detail as always!

Chris :)

Especially for Chris, I went out today, but I didn't buy just an Ice Cream, :stinker: I BOUGHT THE COMPANY, :no:  :no:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  hahhaha

post-9335-0-65701400-1464804457_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65923500-1464804472_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97467000-1464804489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

I'm far from being a critic but would there really be buffers at the end of the quay line?  Most such track seems to just end in the cobblestones.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

Better not leave it parked there for too long, the local yobbos will have it in the drink. :nono: look what happened to Essexman's camper.  :O

I think you'll find it was MY Camper Van that the ESSES BOYS pushed over the edge matey.hahhahh :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

I'm far from being a critic but would there really be buffers at the end of the quay line?  Most such track seems to just end in the cobblestones.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, I see that Chris / To many Spams, has agreed with you on that one, I need to do some research as I found some pics of Padstow and I think it was Weymouth that showed Buffers, I'll look into it.

Just had a look at Ray and Polly's Camel Quay and that has Buffers but I cant find a decent pic of Padstow at the moment, I see Buffers at the end of the Platform Roads, (obviously) but cant make out the Quayside.

ALSO how or what would stop Wagons entering the Quay Stores? Or would a nice Policeman put his hand up and say STOP. :no:

Cheers.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

On Plymouth Barbican the track ran around North Quay and Sutton Wharf via wagon tables to end up on Vauxhall Quay.  Somebody may know and even have a picture.  There are several in Bernard Mills book of the first two lines but none of the last.  It wasn't very busy even in my time but I did see horse drawn wagons on the quays.  Oh boy, I'm getting on!

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Your progressing well - all coming on nicely - you'll be finished in a few days at this rate!  I like the idea of slanting the harbour wall back, well done. I'd not have thought about that and would have gone for a vertical! But i think that looks far better.  

Pleased to see you've sold the concession for ice cream sales however, just hope that chap knows what he's in for ... 1st June and we've had the bl**dy heating on here!  I know the east coast of England isn't renowned for the place where the sun comes soonest .. but i think some of your essex yobs have done a deal somewhere and sold the sun!  Anyway, hope he manages to sell enough 99s and flakes to cover the cost of renting the pitch! hehe

As for buffer stops at the end of the quay, I seem to recall somewhere (but not sure where) that had a wooden buffer stop, just two vertical posts, with a horizontal at buffer height.  How useful it would have been to anything other than a wagon buffering up nice and slowly i haven't a clue, but that could be another option if you decide against the steel version.  I guess in todays world, Health & Safety would say buffer stops would be a trip hazard to the public in that position, but back then, surely common sense would have prevailed and said stopping something running into the Quay Stores was more important than the odd stubbed toe!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Your progressing well - all coming on nicely - you'll be finished in a few days at this rate!  I like the idea of slanting the harbour wall back, well done. I'd not have thought about that and would have gone for a vertical! But i think that looks far better.  

Pleased to see you've sold the concession for ice cream sales however, just hope that chap knows what he's in for ... 1st June and we've had the bl**dy heating on here!  I know the east coast of England isn't renowned for the place where the sun comes soonest .. but i think some of your essex yobs have done a deal somewhere and sold the sun!  Anyway, hope he manages to sell enough 99s and flakes to cover the cost of renting the pitch! hehe

As for buffer stops at the end of the quay, I seem to recall somewhere (but not sure where) that had a wooden buffer stop, just two vertical posts, with a horizontal at buffer height.  How useful it would have been to anything other than a wagon buffering up nice and slowly i haven't a clue, but that could be another option if you decide against the steel version.  I guess in todays world, Health & Safety would say buffer stops would be a trip hazard to the public in that position, but back then, surely common sense would have prevailed and said stopping something running into the Quay Stores was more important than the odd stubbed toe!

Rich

Morning Rich, Thanks for the input, the area behind the Buffers isn't finished yet, I have some Bollards to put in and maybe a Chain between them, this is primarily to protect the Quayside and the Rail Lines from Vehicles  being parked, causing an obstruction.

• Like 1

Well this morning as well as a couple of small jobs on Pencarne I've fitted the Steps to the Quayside ready for Painting and Railings.

post-9335-0-61218300-1464874864_thumb.jpg

I've also fitted some Capstans and the Bollards and Chains. For the Capstans I just drilled deeper holes and used the same Bachmann 44-530 Bollards, for the Chain I've used Slaters and that will need some Black Paint once the Glue has dried.

post-9335-0-73803900-1464875046_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92798200-1464875128_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34032000-1464875209_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76194100-1464875258_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91032400-1464875300_thumb.jpg

Next job over the weekend will be the wooden uprights along the Wall and then re do the water and wall the correct colour.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1